Germain Ifedi will compete for starting right guard job

soulman

7 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Jim Harbaugh would disagree...calls Castillo the best teacher he has ever worked with...which considering some of the coaches he has had is a great complement to Castillo.

I also have nice things to say about my friends.

He spent 2 years in Baltimore, 2 in Buffalo, Last year out of the NFL.

To think he is going to be some sort of miracle worker or a serious upgrade to Hiestand is just not based on reality.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

I also have nice things to say about my friends.

He spent 2 years in Baltimore, 2 in Buffalo, Last year out of the NFL.

To think he is going to be some sort of miracle worker or a serious upgrade to Hiestand is just not based on reality.

It is if you look at how bad that offensive line was last season.

23 minutes ago, soulman said:

I never even mentioned HH so why are you?

Harry is a great OL coach.  I've never said otherwise.  But maybe he wasn't the right OL coach for this line or this scheme.

Look, you played the game.  It's a results oriented business.  Aren't you always reminding us of that regarding Pace and Nagy or Mitch?

And you doubt, you doubt, you doubt.  Every other post you make seems to contain that word doubt.  At what point do begin to get into what is, not what was or what should be.  Why don't you at least wait for some results before inventing negative ones in your mind?

Why don’t you wait for some results before assuming the positive.

HH was the right OL coach in 2018. 

At best the Bears pushed at OL coach. I am not expecting coaching to make a huge difference for the individual lineman. They aren’t going from a nobody to Dante Scharnechia. They are going from a good OL coach to a good OL coach.

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

It is if you look at how bad that offensive line was last season.

But they were pretty good in 2018.

Heistand didn’t coach them differently. Individual players regressed, which happens when you have average players. Some years they play above and some below. 

Castillo will hopefully clean up some scheme issues and not love Daniels back to C. But he isn’t going to magically develop guys better.

If anything, Heistand has a more impressive resume of players he has developed.

But they were pretty good in 2018.

Heistand didn’t coach them differently. Individual players regressed, which happens when you have average players. Some years they play above and some below. 

Castillo will hopefully clean up some scheme issues and not love Daniels back to C. But he isn’t going to magically develop guys better.

If anything, Heistand has a more impressive resume of players he has developed.

Actually he did...because if you remember Nagy said we were going to more of a power scheme like they have in KC and it was a disaster...

We don't have average players...we have players who were asked to do something that doesn't fit their skill set...Nagy clear seen this was a mistake and has now brought in a coach who is more versatile.

• Like 1

Just now, Madmike90 said:

Actually he did...because if you remember Nagy said we were going to more of a power scheme like they have in KC and it was a disaster...

We don't have average players...we have players who were asked to do something that doesn't fit their skill set...Nagy clear seen this was a mistake and has now brought in a coach who is more versatile.

We have average players. Whitehair might be the only above average player that we roll out on the line.

I agree, changing the scheme stuff should improve the overall performance. That I can 100% see, the unit being better as a whole.

I think it is a stretch to think Castillo is going to have a better time developing individual players. He isn’t going to make Coward a starting NFL RG.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We have average players. Whitehair might be the only above average player that we roll out on the line.

I agree, changing the scheme stuff should improve the overall performance. That I can 100% see, the unit being better as a whole.

I think it is a stretch to think Castillo is going to have a better time developing individual players. He isn’t going to make Coward a starting NFL RG.

As your name suggests Windy your opinion changes just like it does :D...you were all for the likes of Daniels and Leno before this season started...and you were right to be because they are talented...but 6-3" 300lbs linemen in a power scheme is just not going to work in the NFL these days...these guys need to be allowed to use that athletic ability and Castillo will do that way more than HH...I don't think anyone is making Coward a starting NFL linemen...I do however think he can massively help Leno, Massie & Daniels bounce back.

6 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Daniels and Whitehair are both above average, at least. 

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

As your name suggests Windy your opinion changes just like it does :D...you were all for the likes of Daniels and Leno before this season started...and you were right to be because they are talented...but 6-3" 300lbs linemen in a power scheme is just not going to work in the NFL these days...these guys need to be allowed to use that athletic ability and Castillo will do that way more than HH...I don't think anyone is making Coward a starting NFL linemen...I do however think he can massively help Leno, Massie & Daniels bounce back.

I was higher on them and then they were bad, they got exposed, in Daniels case he didn’t really take a step forward.

Not changing your opinion based on 16 games of new evidence seems a little ridiculous.

I think a more zone focused scheme is going to help a couple of those guys. But I don’t think it will be the cure all that some think. We need better players. Specifically at RG and long term at RT and LT.

3 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Daniels and Whitehair are both above average, at least. 

I promise you Daniels isn’t. I have now watched most of the snaps from last year. Even at OG he was pretty much the same as his rookie year.

I think he will be an above average lineman, but he wasn’t last season.

I was higher on them and then they were bad, they got exposed, in Daniels case he didn’t really take a step forward.

Not changing your opinion based on 16 games of new evidence seems a little ridiculous.

I think a more zone focused scheme is going to help a couple of those guys. But I don’t think it will be the cure all that some think. We need better players. Specifically at RG and long term at RT and LT.

But saying HH coached them well in 2018 isn't? Can't have it both ways my friend.

Just now, WindyCity said:

I think he will be an above average lineman, but he wasn’t last season.

I don't think any of them played that well last season. Even Whitehair wasn't much to speak of. I think that changes, though, and pretty much right away. 

But saying HH coached them well in 2018 isn't? Can't have it both ways my friend.

The line played well in 2018. I assume the coach did a good job. Not being in the building I can’t say for sure.

In 2019 the line regressed, badly. I am not willing to blame that all on the coach. Some of it is on the coach. Acting like it is a cure all is short sighted and way to easy a scape goat.

Average players have up and down years. Leno and Massie have proven that through out their careers. 2018 they were up, 2019 they were down. They aren’t good enough to sustain 2018 level, if they were they would be above average starters.

Just now, WindyCity said:

The line played well in 2018. I assume the coach did a good job. Not being in the building I can’t say for sure.

In 2019 the line regressed, badly. I am not willing to blame that all on the coach. Some of it is on the coach. Acting like it is a cure all is short sighted and way to easy a scape goat.

Average players have up and down years. Leno and Massie have proven that through out their careers. 2018 they were up, 2019 they were down. They aren’t good enough to sustain 2018 level, if they were they would be above average starters.

I think to say you can radically change your opinion of players after a 16 game season but that your opinion of that coach didn't change makes no sense...but that's where we differ man.

I think to say you can radically change your opinion of players after a 16 game season but that your opinion of that coach didn't change makes no sense...but that's where we differ man.

I think Heistand should have been fired. The move of Daniels, not benching Long, miscommunications and scheme issues.

My opinion of the players has not changed wildly. 2018 Leno and Massie were good, they were unable to repeat that success, that added to their previous okay play tells me that 2018 was an aberration and they are average/replaceable NFL players. 

Daniels did not take a step forward. I think he still can, but at this moment that is projection. We haven’t seen it on the field.

If they could have replicated 2018 then it is different, that would have been back to back good seasons.