Germain Ifedi will compete for starting right guard job

soulman

Just now, WindyCity said:

I think Heistand should have been fired. The move of Daniels, not benching Long, miscommunications and scheme issues.

My opinion of the players has not changed wildly. 2018 Leno and Massie were good, they were unable to repeat that success, that added to their previous okay play tells me that 2018 was an aberration and they are average/replaceable NFL players. 

Daniels did not take a step forward. I think he still can, but at this moment that is projection. We haven’t seen it on the field.

If they could have replicated 2018 then it is different, that would have been back to back good seasons.

I would disagree but either way let's just hope Castillo gets the job done and helps put these guys in better positions to win.

Just now, Madmike90 said:

I would disagree but either way let's just hope Castillo gets the job done and helps put these guys in better positions to win.

Let’s hope some better talent is added in the draft so that we are covered both ways.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Why don’t you wait for some results before assuming the positive.

HH was the right OL coach in 2018. 

At best the Bears pushed at OL coach. I am not expecting coaching to make a huge difference for the individual lineman. They aren’t going from a nobody to Dante Scharnechia. They are going from a good OL coach to a good OL coach.

Because whenever the results of any series of events falls below their statistical mean there is a tendency for future results to return to their mean or exceed it.  In other words poor play tends to improve while above average play will often regress.  If we accept what they perform like on average and that they performed below average last season the tendency should be to return to average or above average.  It's simple and it takes emotions and personal opinions out of the equation entirely.

They have performed better in the past with basically the same core players now sans Kyle Long.  We have no way to statistically predict precisely how Ifedi or whoever else may play RG will perform but we can use mean performance as substitute for that and be at least 80% accurate if not more.  That takes whoever is coaching them out of the equation entirely whether it's HH, Castillo, Dante Scarnecchia or even Pee Wee Herman.  It's a simple statistical judgement base on the law of averages.

Think whatever you like to think and make whatever assumptions you want by whatever means you want to make them Windy because you will anyway.  I'm not here to convince you of anything.  You asked me why I don't wait for positive results and I gave you my answer.  It's how I think and things do tend to work out just that way statistically whenever there are enough data points to employ it just as it could and did predict somewhat of a regression in the Bears 2019 defense over their 2018 performance.

Edited by soulman

3 minutes ago, soulman said:

Because whenever the results of any series of events falls below their statistical mean there is a tendency for future results to return to their mean or exceed it.  In other words poor play tends to improve while above average play will often regress.  If we accept what they perform like on average and that they performed below average last season the tendency should be to return to average or above average.  It's simple and it takes emotions and personal opinions out of the equation entirely.

This assumes that 2018 is representative of the "statistical mean" performance of players like Leno and Massie which is obviously not the case.

Edited by abstract_thought

41 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

This assumes that 2018 is representative of the "statistical mean" performance of players like Leno and Massie which is obviously not the case.

Well you go ahead and come up with whatever statistical mean you like then.

I've seen enough of you use 2018 to say they're an "average" OL and that 2019 was below average performance.  I've also read Jonathan Wood's analytical stuff pretty thoroughly and I post them here so others can read them too if they care to.  So it's not entirely subjective in my part.

21 hours ago, G08 said:

People that have played/coached on the offensive line... doesn't technique always win out over talent? So, if you can find an athletic specimen and drill technique into them, technically haven't you found a quality offensive lineman?

No.  Its like an economic chart or a sliding scale.   Obviously you want tech and talent.  But a huge strong athletic man will beat a small man with perfect technique.

There is disagreement on what perfect technique is too.  A lot of great coaches teach different techs from each other and some swear their way is the only correct way.  Fire out or Side step, one forearm or double open palm, thumbs up or thumbs in, some outlier innovators use double upper cuts (I’ve tried this actually works quite well if done correctly), hands low or no, etc.  

Sometimes different techniques work for different players.  I was an undersized high school O linemen and only way I could compete with good athletes over 240 or so (I could handle the fatties) was to fire out into them first even on pass blocking.   If I tried to use the common NFL or College tech of sitting and anchoring they would knock me over like a bowling pin.  I had to establish leverage on them first and then anchor.

I had a kid who was a first year football player and just a slightly above average athlete and average size.  This was on a middle school team so it was kids 12-14.  I think he was 12.  First year players at age of 12 are usually terrible as other kids have been playing since 7.   He was smart, but not a genius.  But for some reason you could teach him a technique and he could execute it perfectly immediately.   I think the kid averaged 3 or 4 TFLs a game from interior DL using perfect technique.  He was real outlier.  Never had another like him and I coached well over a 1000 kids.  I think he just played football the one year and went to do other things different years.  A different cat with some kind of special gift to him.  

I had a well below average kid in talent and size that started at guard on our select teams for three years because he was super smart and used perfect technique.  But once he got to high school he couldn’t compete with the bigger kids.  

Honestly what separates effective OL from just average ones aside from talent and size/strength, is attitude, intelligence and ability to cheat as much as possible and not get flagged for it.  If you aren’t grabbing as much as possible you aren’t playing the position right.  One reason why Heistand’s practice bothered me a bit (and other guys in stands too - must have been some O line guys - they talked about it independent of me - but we are all thinking same thing).  His instructions included flat palm and no grabbing.  Seems to me that is a great way to get beat a lot more than not.  I talked about it here and got slammed for being a know nothing insulting a widely respected pro coach.  I deleted the post.   

Also you have to be like a mosquito or a gnat.  You have to be a constant bother.  You have to be like a great basketball on guard defender.   So many O Line are just huge lifetime fat guys.  They get away with just using their mass and strength.  They give you 3 secs of effort each play and they are done.   They don’t have right mentality to be great at highest level.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I promise you Daniels isn’t. I have now watched most of the snaps from last year. Even at OG he was pretty much the same as his rookie year.

I think he will be an above average lineman, but he wasn’t last season.

He either didn’t work out properly in 2019, had an undisclosed injury or came off PEDs.  There was a marked and unusual decline.  

• Like 1

Other thing about Olines too is they function as a unit on a lot of plays.  So like a chain it is only as strong as weakest link.

In 2019 you had 1 or 2 guys, not always same guys, on a lot of plays that just were awful or missed an assignment.  Often it was TE as part of line too.  So not fair to say it was just O line.

A lot of overall improvement is just bringing a weak link up to average and eliminating mistakes.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He either didn’t work out properly in 2019, had an undisclosed injury or came off PEDs.  There was a marked and unusual decline.  

Couple that with Long falling off the cliff, Leno getting called for holding, both Whitehair and Massie playing below their best and inept TE play and you get what we saw,.

Zero running game and MT running for his life on about half the passing plays and worried about it during the other half.  

• Like 2