The guy you thought would be great but NOPE!

jetfuel34

I thought it would be fun to have a little talk on what player you thought was going to be great and was a bust. Then who you thought would be a bust but turned out good.

For me

Joe McKnight - I thought he was going to be a monster. I thought he could catch and run the ball well. BUST!!!!

Jeremy Kerley - I did not think he was going to be that good. I was wrong. He ended up being one of our best WR for several years. 

Edited by jetfuel34

12 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I thought it would be fun to have a little talk on what player you thought was going to be great and was a bust. Then who you thought would be a bust but turned out good.

For me

Joe McKnight - I thought he was going to be a monster. I thought he could catch and run the ball well. BUST!!!!

Jeremy Kerley - I did not think he was going to be that good. I was wrong. He ended up being one of our best WR for several years. 

14 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

For me

Think you should check yourself when talking about someone who suffered the unfortunate fate that Joe McKnight faced. Him not living up to his hype means **** all now. 

• Like 1

My list is some of our first round picks the last seven years. These players should have the core of the Jets for years

Quinton Coples              BUST

Darron Lee                     MEDIOCRE AT BEST

Calvin Pryor                   Bust

Leo Williams                 A waste of the # 6 overall pick

Sheldron Richardson   Not a bad player but not worth the 12 overall pick     

Edited by doumeyer

In sure I’m a lot older than most of you. But I was excited when we drafted Blair Thomas. Looking back he was a great college RB with four years of heavy tread in his tires.

In hindsight, most people hate the pick because we passed on Junior Seau and Emmitt Smith was picked 15 picks later. But Thomas was a stud and everyone thought he was going to be a star. Total bust. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

In sure I’m a lot older than most of you. But I was excited when we drafted Blair Thomas. Looking back he was a great college RB with four years of heavy tread in his tires.

In hindsight, most people hate the pick because we passed on Junior Seau and Emmitt Smith was picked 15 picks later. But Thomas was a stud and everyone thought he was going to be a star. Total bust. 

I am with you on Blair Thomas ... I was so excited as I am also a PSU fan.  

The other guy I thought was going to be a stud was Vernon Gholston - was very wrong on that one.  Going back a while too was Johnny Mitchell .. thought he was going to be an all world TE

I was not excited about about taking back to DL guys in 2000 with Ellis and Abraham both were great picks.  The did not like the pick thing is harder as I tend to talk myself into liking the pick to be positive....lol.  I did not like picking Maye again more because we just picked Adams.  

Just now, JetsFan15 said:

I am with you on Blair Thomas ... I was so excited as I am also a PSU fan.  

The other guy I thought was going to be a stud was Vernon Gholston - was very wrong on that one.  Going back a while too was Johnny Mitchell .. thought he was going to be an all world TE

I was not excited about about taking back to DL guys in 2000 with Ellis and Abraham both were great picks.  The did not like the pick thing is harder as I tend to talk myself into liking the pick to be positive....lol.  I did not like picking Maye again more because we just picked Adams.  

I also though Blair Thomas was going to be a outstanding back, boy was I wrong. The thing I am still upset about is when we lost John Riggens, even back in those days us Jet fans were upset.

Good but wasn’t: Jarvis Harrison recently. I thought we had a legit OG going forward. Turns out he wouldn’t see a single significant snap. 

Bad but wasn’t: Jordan Jenkins. While not Elite and I didn’t see natural explosion out of him he did improve as a player every year. He’s solid and sometimes that’s all you need.

I remember liking the Victor Hobson pick A LOT and he never amounted out to much. I was watching a lot of Michigan football at that time (a few of my best friends are from Michigan, Im not a UM fan, just watched every game nearly with them at this time). Thank God we drafted Vilma who I loved the next year. 

Guy who I exceeded my expectation who I thought we shouldn't have drafted? Marcus Maye. He's played pretty well when healthy. I still stand by bc he's young that we shouldn't have drafted him. But he is a good player when on the field. I'd still have rathered Cook though.

• Like 1

LMAO Victor Hobson.  @Bobby816 he was a good player then we moved to 3-4 and that F'ed him.  He was very slow and they wanted him at OLB.  4-3 OLB he was more than solid!

Calvin Pryor I thought was going to be Jamal Adams lite, way wrong.  Thought Polite was going to at least make the roster haha. Also thought Mauldin was a steal in the 3rd and he would will his way into a starting role.

Maye would be the closest for me but I only didn't like him because we already drafted Adams.

I won't go over the ones I was right about ;)

• Like 1

Here is a guy who was our first pick in the early eighties, who I didn't think would amount to much, and turned out to be one of the best Jets of all times Freeman McNeil from UCLA. He played on some real bad jet teams but was always a class act. He rushed for over 8000yards as a Jet.

Edited by doumeyer
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Here is a guy who was our first pick in the early eighties, who I didn't think would amount to much, and turned out to be one of the best Jets of all times Freeman McNeil from UCLA. He played on some real bad jet teams but was always a class act. He rushed for over 8000yards as a Jet.

the only #24 Jets jersey I will ever wear has the name McNeil. 200 yards playoff performance along with some other goodies in the vid (#85).

Edited by dcat