1940s and earlier Comedy - Official FF BMET (Nominations)

Deadpulse

In this thread we will be deciding the 8th entrant into the FF Best Movie Ever Tournament - Comedy movie from the 1940s and earlier!

Please see rules at the following thread:

Nominations are open! Please be clear that you are nominating flicks. Movies with 3+ nominations will make it into the polling phase. POSTERS WILL BE LIMITED TO FIVE NOMINATIONS. If you nominate more than 5 I will only count the top five. The changes in edited posts will not be counted. Nominations will close Tuesday, 4/7/2020 at 4pm EST. 

@Calvert28@Uncle Buck @THE DUKE @FinneasGage   @Dome @The Orca @August4th @thrILL! @Malfatron @Elky @daboyle250 @rackcs @MikeT14 @Daniel @MWil23 @seminoles1 @scar988 @JoshstraDaymus @JonStark @animaltested @Ozzy @Bullet Club @AlexGreen#20 @Fresh Prince @KManX89 @TENINCH @SlevinKelevra @bucsfan333 @Ray Reed @Bucketheadsdad @kingseanjohn@Pickle Rick

The Great Dictator is probably going to win because it's the only one half the people here can comfortably pretend to have seen. 

1. It's not that funny.
2. Buster Keaton was better, and if sound had waited 10 years and kept movies as musicals for another decade, Keaton would be remembered like Chaplin is.

The blatant ripoff is about to win for the 50's, but...

It Happened One Night is better than Roman Holiday, the latter of which ripped off the former and acted like it was original. 

I'll just nominate:

1. It Happened One Night
2. The General
3. Seven Chances (My personal favorite of Keaton's)

Seven Chances linked below, free on YouTube, as well as some Keaton Gifs. 

giphy.gif
1415818150_1211768958.gif
U22Tto.gif
giphy+%25281%2529.gif

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It Happened One Night is better than Roman Holiday, the latter of which ripped off the former and acted like it was original. 

I forgot about that movie. It could win comedy and romance.

I also nominate It Happened One Night.

Problem is so many have seen so few comedies from this time.  My vote is going to either His Girl Friday or A Night at the Opera (if it makes the cut).  I used to have Turner Classic Movies where I'd watch these old gems, but haven't had that since I cut the cord about 7 years ago.

17 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Problem is so many have seen so few comedies from this time.  My vote is going to either His Girl Friday or A Night at the Opera (if it makes the cut).  I used to have Turner Classic Movies where I'd watch these old gems, but haven't had that since I cut the cord about 7 years ago.

$11 a month gets you a lot better than TCM every offered

https://www.criterionchannel.com/checkout/subscribe/purchase