Payton pulling a Spagnuolo!

whodatworm23

So Sean Payton says that some recent bad picks have lead to bad defense...

Wow, if that ain't a mouthfull!!!

What about bad scheme or even more... Bad managment? How come those words aren't tossed around as freely as others?

After the 2012 season Payton had a meeting with then defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo. Payton fresh off his bounty gate suspension listened to Spags place all the blame for the disaster of the 2012 Saints defense on the players and sat there while Spags clammored for an overhaul of the defensive personnel and coaching staff.

Payton sided with the players and fired Spags.

Payton then hired "players friendly" coach Rob Ryan to coach his defense... And i do mean HIS (Paytons) defense. Sean Payton returned to the Saints in 2013 with visions of Seattles single high safety defense dancing in his head amd its been that way ever since.

Its been 2 defensive coordinators, a whole bunch of draft picks, a couple of sacrificed offensive talents, fired coaches and scouts and hell even doctors but here we sit... Still terrible and still trotting out this god awful version of the Seahawks defense week in and week out.

The only thing that really has changed is that its Paytons turn to now "blame the players".  I mean honestly, who else does he have left to point the finger at? Mickey Loomis covered his butt a couple years ago by allowing Payton to handpick Jeff Ireland as his go to man in personnel. In Loomis's eyes his hands are clean here.

The bottom line is that Payton is now pointing the finger at his players because hes not man enough to point it at himself. After all, it was Payton and Ireland who has been responsible fof overhauling this roster since 2015. Whats funny though is that Payton is also smart enough to realize how stupid he sounds when he blames the players so he always throws in the added... "But we have improved in this area" or "I believe were on the right track".

I honestly don't know whats worse... The fact that Payton might actually talk his way into another year here or the fact that many Saints fans actually believe he deserves it.

WHODAT

7 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I honestly don't know whats worse... The fact that Payton might actually talk his way into another year here or the fact that many Saints fans actually believe he deserves it.

Must be the locals that thinks he deserves it? I don't see that sentiment online anywhere.

1 minute ago, domepatrol91 said:

Must be the locals that thinks he deserves it? I don't see that sentiment online anywhere.

Its absoutly the locals im refering to here. Your sopt on, online and fans outsode of the city are pretty much in agreement that he needs to go but inside the city the loyalist and lifers who want to give Payton a job for life because of 2009 continue to make their voices heard. 

Now not everyone in the city is part of that but it just kills me when I hear the excuses constantly being made by some of those people who love that Kool Aid.

10 minutes ago, BossierWhoDat said:

In a way, he is owning up to making bad draft picks right? I feel ya though on the defensive scheme.

Good post

Maybe he is in a way but in the end it comes off as... "Hey, my bad... Give me another shot. Trust me ?"

He's had his shot... Time for some new blood. 

Archived