Who deserves more credit for the Patriots' success: Brady or Belichick?

notthatbluestuff

38 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

The fact that they couldn't challenge New England on a consistent basis, and even outside of that were never a threat to get a Super Bowl the times they made the playoffs against anyone else. The Jets are the only team to make a conference championship between the 3 since the 2002 realignment, both times on the road (yes I know they beat the Patriots to get there one year). Reminds me of the Lions in the 1990s. They usually made the playoffs, but were never a threat to win it all, and weren't going to outdo the Packers. 

Every other division in the NFL since the 2002 realignment has had at least two teams make a Super Bowl except the AFC East and AFC South, which was also largely dookey from when the time the Colts dominated the division. 

So I’ll ask again - are the facts presented to you are irrelevant, yes or no? It’s usually how it goes whenever I post them, that’s part of the reason why I’ve grown tired of doing so. Because actual wins and losses don’t seem to matter...

It’s interesting to see the lengths people go to - wins and losses don’t matter, making the playoffs doesn’t matter, only contending does. And making the playoffs isn’t enough to contend evidently, so we can just scratch all the times the AFCE teams make the playoffs. And who cares that the Pats’ record vs the division is right in line with their division out of it - doesn’t matter. 

I’m not going to sit here and pretend that the AFCE was some buzz saw division, but it gets completely overstated for some reason (go figure). The teams usually switch years being bad and are seldom consistently good for any length of the time, so they don’t get remembered and it’s easier just to ignore actual facts right in front of you. 

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 2

60%-40% Bellicheck getting the 60.  They both were instrumental to the Patriots Dynasty but it was Bill who was the mastermind behind it all.  The Pats went 10-6 when Tom went out, proving BB could still win without him.  But New England wouldn't have won all their Superbowls with out Brady under center.  They would have went to the playoffs consistently and maybe won some but not all six without TB12.

4 hours ago, FosterTheSkins said:

60%-40% Bellicheck getting the 60.  They both were instrumental to the Patriots Dynasty but it was Bill who was the mastermind behind it all.  The Pats went 10-6 when Tom went out, proving BB could still win without him.  But New England wouldn't have won all their Superbowls with out Brady under center.  They would have went to the playoffs consistently and maybe won some but not all six without TB12.

Well, it was 11-5, but funny enough it was the one season we didn't make the playoffs. It was also with the same team that went undefeated, so 5 fewer wins was actually pretty disgusting with that team. Imagine a 10-6 team who then goes 5-11...doesn't look good does it.

But we'd still have made some playoffs for sure. He's too smart not to. He would have drafted a good enough QB (like he did with Jimmy, not knowing TB still had it in him).

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Okay, better topic:

Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater?!?

Ooo good question. I love Bridgewater. Always have, even in the draft process. I believe in his long-term studliness. Give me Bridgewater, but I would have no qualms with Carr over Teddy. 

• Like 1

I think the answer is both but if we are asking who is more to do with the dynasty of the Patriots then I think you have to say the edge goes to Brady. He’s the one orchestrating the game winning drives, compensating for the lack of talent at times, and taking a reduced cap hit to help the team.

Belicheck would have probably taken the Patriots to a few super bowls without Brady. But it would have been akin to a Steelers type of run. A few appearances with a 10 year span.  But to win 6, appear in 9 and consistently be in the hunt and in the AFC championship that has a hell of a lot to do with having Tom Brady.

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 12:11 PM, Calamity_Cometh said:

That Falcons Super Bowl was all Brady.  My stepbrother left at halftime and said that it's over. I said "bro you have no idea what you have just done."

Are you serious... Brady was part of the reason they were down 23 points. That comeback was team effort with a lot following on defense and dumb play calling by the Falcons. The YAC that second have was more impressive than Brady's contribution.

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 10:31 PM, FosterTheSkins said:

Do you think the could of won 6 or more with any other above average Qb?

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 12:03 AM, Nabbs4u said:

The Answer will always be Both because Neither would of accomplished what they did Together, Without the Other.  Could both have had success,  Won a SB or two, possibly,  probably.  But the 20 year 2 Decade Dominance of making 9 SB and winning 6, Absolutely Not!

It's the Chicken and Egg Dilemma. 

Who was more important Bill Walsh or Joe Montana?  Does Joe win 4 SB not playing in the WCO with Jerry Rice as a Bill, Buc, Viking or Lion? Walsh win 4 SB with any of the other 14 QB taken in the 79' draft including Phil Simms 2 rds earlier? No!

Them splitting this year will not change that answer either unless 1 actually Wins the SB. Which is unlikely!

Is Joe Montana consider anywhere as good without those championships on those stack 49er's teams.

41 minutes ago, MrnastiesNO said:

Is Joe Montana consider anywhere as good without those championships on those stack 49er's teams.

Not sure where you are going with this based off my post but I'll answer that with the same answer for , Do those Stacked 49ers teams win 4 SB without Montana?

No

This is a trick question.

Brady is the GoaT on the level of Michael Jordan.

Belichick’s D’s went to 3 Super Bowls before he met Tom Brady. He won 2 Super Bowls by absolutely dominating the Montana Rice 49ers. His game plan against Buffalo is in the Hall of Fane.

Maybe Brady wins 4 without Belichick and Belichick wins 3 (Bledsoe, Garoppolo, and whoever he gets in the middle). Those 3 still give BB 5 rings.

This is a Chris Evans vs Robert Downey Jr question. The answer is both.

The easier question is Parcells vs Belichick because that answer is BB in a rout. Parcells without Belichick is a mess.

Edited by SkippyX

18 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Okay, better topic:

Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater?!?

This one is easy for me. Carr.

Bridgy has to be one of the most overrated players, based on the dying desperate need to find SOME form of serviceable backup QB, because they're pretty much trash apart from Ted. But not trash does equal good. 

:D