Defensive needs

Several people have voiced concerns on the defensive side of ball.  Clowney is clearly a target as well as LB’s.  The priority is de, lb, and s.  Who do you think we should pursue in regards to fa, trade, and draft?

I propose Clowney in fa. Trade for Thuney rg. Draft Harrison lb osu and best avail s.

We need a LOT on defense.

Our S situation is an abject disaster.

Our LB corps is a joke.

The interior DL situation is adequate at best, with little depth.

The DE situation opposite Myles is "meh" at best, with Vernon and then a bunch of JAGs.

Ward/Greedy opposite each other at CB are promising.

You could make the argument that we could go nothing but Defense this draft outside of hopefully an OT in Round 1 and be correct.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think we need some young talent for sure.

Eh, it’s not great by any stretch but Joseph, Burnett and Sendejo are average starters. Redwine is a young piece to develop.

Our LB corps is a joke.

This is by far the area in need of the most improvement, no doubt.

Richardson, Larry and Billings are pretty solid imo.  Plus Garrett, Claiborne and Vernon can all slide inside on passing downs.

The DE situation opposite Myles is "meh" at best, with Vernon and then a bunch of JAGs.

True, but Myles is elite and Vernon has been pretty good.  Depth is definitely an issue, but Thomas and Claiborne are at least average and not street free agents.

Plus Money Mitch and the nickel we signed.  Not bad overall here.

You could make the argument that we could go nothing but Defense this draft outside of hopefully an OT in Round 1 and be correct.

I do agree with this.

I think we have stopgaps at most spots save LB, but we need more long term fixes.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Our LBs are terrible. Mack can’t tackle. Couldn’t tackle in college and got blown up last year. I have seen many guys go from bad to good tacklers. Good coverage though. 

I mean you’re not wrong, but I still have more question marks regarding Takitaki than I do Mack.

Plus that scheme last year was awful.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

We need another pass rusher and a FS. I would like a MIKE who can cover in space. I don’t care about the WILL or SAM spot. You just need JAGs at those spots.

We need a absolutely need a FS. I think we go with one in the second. Sendejo is just a depth guy and redwine is still so unknown. I think we can get by with what we have at pass rusher. Especially with the addition of clayborn. I’m more worried about stopping the run. Myles hasn’t exactly proven he can do that. He hasn’t had more than 35 tackles in a season. Vernon is good but gets hurt. And Larry o/Richardson got pushed around last year. Karl Joseph is good for a safety but he looks for the big hit too often. 

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We need a absolutely need a FS. I think we go with one in the second. Sendejo is just a depth guy and redwine is still so unknown. I think we can get by with what we have at pass rusher. Especially with the addition of clayborn. I’m more worried about stopping the run. Myles hasn’t exactly proven he can do that. He hasn’t had more than 35 tackles in a season. Vernon is good but gets hurt. And Larry o/Richardson got pushed around last year. Karl Joseph is good for a safety but he looks for the big hit too often. 

Billings is supposed to be solid against the run, which will help. We needed a run stopper at DT last year something awful.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Billings is supposed to be solid against the run, which will help. We needed a run stopper at DT last year something awful.

Yeah he should help some. But I doubt he gets on the field too much. Richardson and Larry O play a lot IIRC from last year. I don’t know how often joe woods rotates his DTs. 

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Our LB corps is a joke.

Going OT in one and defense the rest of the way is the direction I'd go as GM.

I know our LBs are weak, but this is a seriously weak LB draft. I wouldn't waste draft capital forcing LB, especially with plenty of good safeties and DLine. 

With that said, Willie Gay Jr. in the 4th-5th definitely does interest me.

excellent point.

Point 1 we were on point to get in the playoffs before Myles got suspended and Vernon got injured,

Point 2 The offense only had Kareem for half the year having him around will help time of possession.

Point 3 Conklin is a huge upgrade over Hubbard.

Point 4 this year there will be all pro lineman selected in the 3rd day.

Defense yes we need help but the solution is not to draft 1 at 16 while we pass on all pro lineman.

Solution we need a excellent fs, and A edge that can help Myles and vernon.

PS do not sign injury prone lineman to 18,000,000 contracts

• Like 2