Defensive needs

11 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

are you calling forbes ok who could not block my brother who is 65 years old

we have no idea what we have in Forbes because he was basically redshirted last year. His skill set fits well in a zone scheme. Forbes is actually pretty good at blocking in spacing, so having the chance to get him working up to LBs should work well in the zone scheme Stef wants to put in

Edited by buno67
  • Like 3

This is something I was toying with earlier in the process....never posted it in here. But WHAT IF...we doubled down on the new Defense we had last year...the 4-2-5...its a defense designed to stop this new wrinkle in Baltimore.....Now and out of the box draft would be

1rst. Simmons LB/S

2nd Josh Jones LT

3rd Jeremy Chinn S/CB

3rd Chase Claypool WR

4th Davon Hamilton  DT

6th Dezmon Patton WR

7th Shaun Bradley ILB/OLB

And keep running the 4-2 5......with the Karl Joseph and Chinn playing the Slot Safeties, the Vet Sendejo as the deep director, and Mack Wilson and Simmons as the 2 LB's.....to combat running QB and TE based offense that Baltimore has.

I know this projection with no OT at 10 makes people nervous. Not me.....as I do have  a new top 5 at OT...

1. Thomas

2. Wirrfs

3a. Jones

3b. Wills

5. Bekton

Edited by DaWg_LB.

4 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

to combat running QB and TE based offense that Baltimore has.

why do we need to sell out to just stop the Ravens tho? Titans didnt need to run that kind of defensive scheme to stop them. We sure as  hell dont need to. I dont think need to build our defense to stop just the Ravens. Rather buid our defense to stop a team like KC because that would carry over towards so many other teams. Also just having a competent offense that can go blow for blow with the ravens and even get them to play from behind can limit what the Ravens can do. 

Im not selling out to stop the Ravens. there is one rushing QB you have to truly worry about, 2 if you count wilson. Rather prepare for those 29 other teams

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

why do we need to sell out to just stop the Ravens tho? Titans didnt need to run that kind of defensive scheme to stop them. We sure as  hell dont need to. I dont think need to build our defense to stop just the Ravens. Rather buid our defense to stop a team like KC because that would carry over towards so many other teams. Also just having a competent offense that can go blow for blow with the ravens and even get them to play from behind can limit what the Ravens can do. 

Im not selling out to stop the Ravens. there is one rushing QB you have to truly worry about, 2 if you count wilson. Rather prepare for those 29 other teams

Yeah you don’t build a defense to stop one team, you build the best defense you can from a talent perspective and scheme to stop individual teams.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah you don’t build a defense to stop one team, you build the best defense you can from a talent perspective and scheme to stop individual teams.

That is one way of doing it......or you get creative on D, with unique personnel OR scheme and make offenses figure it out. If you have a D that is designed to stop the best offense in the league (i.e. the Tampa 2, the Zone Blitz scheme), which IMO is the equivalent to the introduction of said type of things on offense (the Air Raid, the Pistol). 

So I disagree....a defense can be built on having unique talents OR having a unique Scheme.....

4 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

That is one way of doing it......or you get creative on D, with unique personnel OR scheme and make offenses figure it out. If you have a D that is designed to stop the best offense in the league (i.e. the Tampa 2, the Zone Blitz scheme), which IMO is the equivalent to the introduction of said type of things on offense (the Air Raid, the Pistol). 

So I disagree....a defense can be built on having unique talents OR having a unique Scheme.....

Oh for sure you can build around unique talents, what I’m saying is you shouldn’t build a defense with the sole purpose of stopping Lamar like some are suggesting.

We can’t build a defense around stopping Lamar when guys like Watson, Mahomes, half the NFC, etc are still out there competing for the same thing.

37 minutes ago, buno67 said:

What about Kyler Murry, Josh Allen and Deshawn Watson? Not to mention if Cam Newton gets another starting gig this year.....and Justin Herbert and Jordan Love will both be drafted in the first round this year....Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields on their way in 2021.......

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh for sure you can build around unique talents, what I’m saying is you shouldn’t build a defense with the sole purpose of stopping Lamar like some are suggesting.

We can’t build a defense around stopping Lamar when guys like Watson, Mahomes, half the NFC, etc are still out there competing for the same thing.

I didnt mean to stop Lamar....I meant to stop the Raven's scheme, the reason it works so well is Lamar Jackson....but what happens if they draft Jalen Hurts or scoop Cam Newton? The Raven would still run the same offense no? Their current backups are RGIII and Trace McSorley, both acquired so they wouldnt have to change offenses.

And the Road to the playoff is by winning the division....and that goes through Baltimore.

My logic is build a defense to stop the BEST offense in the AFC (which happens to be in your own division), if one comes up with a scheme that no one else is running, or has seen, and it stops this #1 AFC offense.....its not JUST going to work against that offense....it could "Take the league by storm" that is overdue with the "Rapidly Changing NFL"....it should be effective against other teams, and may give trouble to all the offensive innovators (the Kyle Shannahans, Naggy, McVey, etc) who haven't had to see any new innovation on defense in a while.....

I'm not saying I'm all in on this plan, just saying its something to consider......

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I just want to acquire the best overall talent possible, especially along the DL as I think a good DL covers up a lot of issues.

I also think a great DL impacts every QB, regardless of play style.  There’s no QB who likes to be pressured and hit.

I agree with your statement 100%.

A great Dline can get a team SB wins with NOTHING else on the team damn near.......Those great Giants Dlines with Strahan, Tuck, Umenyura, Kiwanuka, Pier-Paul, McDougle....they could just keep sending fresh All Pro or 1rst round picks at DE's at you....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaWg_LB. said:

What about Kyler Murry, Josh Allen and Deshawn Watson? Not to mention if Cam Newton gets another starting gig this year.....and Justin Herbert and Jordan Love will both be drafted in the first round this year....Trevor Lawrence and Justin Fields on their way in 2021.......

kyler Murry still has to show more for me to worry about him. Allen,stiill struggles, im not going to build a defense around to stop him. Hell our defense last year did enough to do that. I totally forgot about Watson but BoB will be the down fall of Watson. So there is a handful of potential threats., so instead of 29, its what 25 other QB. You are bring up having to worry about QBs that havent even taken a snap in the NFL and you have no idea if they will be successful. Herbert and Love couldnt tourch college defenses at a high rate, what makes you think they can do it in the NFL? Lawrence seems like he will be more of a pocket passer in the NFL.No way you can build around his legs with him potentially getting hurt. Fields to me doesnt seem like he is going to be a threat in the NFL. Great college QB but might not have the ability to cut it in the pros. 

Better to suit up to stop a QB like Mahomes because that will carry over to so many other QBs. Especially if the Browns offense turns into a legit threat, its going to force teams to pass the ball and abandon the running QB concepts. Thats how the Ravens lost all their games last year anyways

29 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I agree with your statement 100%.

A great Dline can get a team SB wins with NOTHING else on the team damn near.......Those great Giants Dlines with Strahan, Tuck, Umenyura, Kiwanuka, Pier-Paul, McDougle....they could just keep sending fresh All Pro or 1rst round picks at DE's at you....

I agree completely. The best way to beat the elite QBs and offenses is to absolutely punish their QB every chance you get. Many Superbowl winning teams proved this, ala Denver v Carolina, NYG v Patriots, etc. Once teams start seriously hitting Jackson and Mahomes you are going to start to see serious chinks in the armor. QBs that hold onto the ball don't last, we need to speed up that demise. I would unleash the dogs of war every play if I were a defensive coordinator.

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

we have no idea what we have in Forbes because he was basically redshirted last year. His skill set fits well in a zone scheme. Forbes is actually pretty good at blocking in spacing, so having the chance to get him working up to LBs should work well in the zone scheme Stef wants to put in

Translation he could not beat out one of the worst guards in Kush.

Edited by mtmmike
omition

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

kyler Murry still has to show more for me to worry about him. Allen,stiill struggles, im not going to build a defense around to stop him. Hell our defense last year did enough to do that. I totally forgot about Watson but BoB will be the down fall of Watson. So there is a handful of potential threats., so instead of 29, its what 25 other QB. You are bring up having to worry about QBs that havent even taken a snap in the NFL and you have no idea if they will be successful. Herbert and Love couldnt tourch college defenses at a high rate, what makes you think they can do it in the NFL? Lawrence seems like he will be more of a pocket passer in the NFL.No way you can build around his legs with him potentially getting hurt. Fields to me doesnt seem like he is going to be a threat in the NFL. Great college QB but might not have the ability to cut it in the pros. 

Better to suit up to stop a QB like Mahomes because that will carry over to so many other QBs. Especially if the Browns offense turns into a legit threat, its going to force teams to pass the ball and abandon the running QB concepts. Thats how the Ravens lost all their games last year anyways

Kyler Murry, was the OROY, and rushed for more yards by any QB not named Lamar Jackson.....OK, that's not enough for you to worry about....Its enough for me to be concerned with.  Allen still struggles, but did you know he has run for more Carrer Td's than Nick Chubb....

First it was only 1 or 2 to worry about now were up to 7-8 AB's potentially (25 + 7= 32, just showing my math). I am not only talking about what's happening now, but also being in position to adjust to new trends coming all the time now.....think about how we hear about a new offense every 2-3 seasons.....last time Is a Defensive innovation that worked, was the Tampa 2.

I understand what you are saying, I am simply suggesting that with the NFL changing so much, with rules, and offense. etc.....there hasnt been much modifications at the same pace on D....and somebody's gotta start doing it. Not saying that is us. Just saying why not us? Especially while we are so young in our blueprint. Its not like asking Pittsburge to go a 4-3 from the 3-4......

7 minutes ago, shoffma1999 said:

I agree completely. The best way to beat the elite QBs and offenses is to absolutely punish their QB every chance you get. Many Superbowl winning teams proved this, ala Denver v Carolina, NYG v Patriots, etc. Once teams start seriously hitting Jackson and Mahomes you are going to start to see serious chinks in the armor. QBs that hold onto the ball don't last, we need to speed up that demise. I would unleash the dogs of war every play if I were a defensive coordinator.

off season

sign fowler release Vernon plus 14 sacks cost nothing

sign jones 18,000,000 million release randell fs and Schobert savings 6 million.

plus 6 million on free agent signings

draft Lt Thomas willis or wirfs  savings over Conklin 14 million

2round Wilson middle lineback Wyoming

3rd round trade up Tyler Biadasz

3b troy pride

I will be happy to play any browns team you want to construct given who they just signed