Defensive needs

20 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

If we went with the same positions, check out:

DE Kenny Willekes/Jonathan Greenard/Julian Okwara

CB Essang Bassey/Trajan Bandy/Bryce Hall

LB Joe Bachie/Shaq Quarterman

although I do think Logan Wilson is right there with Bachie and Shaq. I wouldn’t be sad if we took any of these guys. 

My point on these questions is what happens for are defense if 3 FS come and 3 lb come off the board between 18 and 41 who is the 4th best on fs and linebackers.

I am flat worried about that .

36 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

My point on these questions is what happens for are defense if 3 FS come and 3 lb come off the board between 18 and 41 who is the 4th best on fs and linebackers.

I am flat worried about that .

4th Safety—JR Reed/Georgia

4th Linebacker—Shaq Quarterman/Miami

in my opinion 

16 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Due you think they both start and contribute right out of the box

I due. Those two players are 2 of the most NFL-ready prospects in this draft. Some physical limitations both, but  they’re excellent players that don’t make mistakes very often. 

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

3a Wilson linebacker Wyoming

Not bad, not awesome. Just a solid starter. There would be nothing wrong with the pick, but he doesn’t scream BEAST to me like some think.

Instinctive, productive and technically sound. That's a good set of traits to take a shot on.

6 hours ago, ditchdigger said:

Instinctive, productive and technically sound. That's a good set of traits to take a shot on.

He is all of those things, but not a standout. It’s not like he makes elite instinct plays. He is very average at diagnosing. I don’t not want him, but I wouldn’t expect him to be a superstar. 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 4:49 PM, BleedTheClock said:

If we went with the same positions, check out:

DE Kenny Willekes/Jonathan Greenard/Julian Okwara

CB Essang Bassey/Trajan Bandy/Bryce Hall

LB Joe Bachie/Shaq Quarterman

although I do think Logan Wilson is right there with Bachie and Shaq. I wouldn’t be sad if we took any of these guys. 

Those kids, plus Jabari Zuniga.....I have a good feeling about this kid. Both the UF DE's are nice....Next year is going to be the year for DE's (Miami has 3 or 4 coming out next year, and them kids are a PROBLEM) also there some small school DE/Edge types that are starting to get some Buzz...and I expect Big Kat Williams to FINALLY live up to his billing I been pimping since he was recruited to Auburn...

Also the two edge defenders I think have some interest in them from me this year....DE from USC (DJ Wonum) and this edge defender from Utah State that caught my eye last year Tipa Galeai...

There have been numerous solid posts regarding our D.  From my perspective, I believe Browns will load up the draft for D needs and maybe a trade or two or FA to fix the OLine.  Specifically, I think Simmons is the target with 1st pick and S with 2-3 pick.  Also, I think we jettison Vernon after draft.  Bottom line I think most of draft picks will be for D.  Priority of D needs: mlb, s, de,speed lb, and dt.

4 hours ago, #32 said:

There have been numerous solid posts regarding our D.  From my perspective, I believe Browns will load up the draft for D needs and maybe a trade or two or FA to fix the OLine.  Specifically, I think Simmons is the target with 1st pick and S with 2-3 pick.  Also, I think we jettison Vernon after draft.  Bottom line I think most of draft picks will be for D.  Priority of D needs: mlb, s, de,speed lb, and dt.

Who is the new DE who would be replacing Vernon? There isnt a need to get rid of Vernon. Is there someone on the team that is good enough to replace him? NO. Are they going to draft someone who can easily start over him? NO...unless they do something crazy and trade up for Chase Young. Are the Browns in desperate need of cap relief? NO

So why do you need to get rid of Vernon? When he was playing last year he was a productive player. yeah he didnt fill up the box score but the dude created a lot of pressure, pressure Garrett took advantage of, he also allowed Garrett to play more on the RS than LS, allowing him to take advantage of mismatches with RT. 

Also lets see what he and Garrett could do when they actually play an aggressive coverage scheme, that will force QBs to hold onto the ball longer. Browns have 2 solid man cover corners, so lets force QBs to hold onto the ball. Last year, we played so much zone that opposing QBs had no issues throwing it under our coverage when pressure was there on theQB

IMO I'd sign Clowney and just cut Vernon. There's your instant cap space...or, you keep them both and Vernon goes bye bye next year, and you have a great 3rd down rush package with Clowney, Myles, Vernon, and Ogunjobi, not to mention Richardson and Billings as your interior DT types on 1st and 2nd Down. Throw in Chad Thomas and Takitaki as situational guys in Nickel packages and depth, and that's not a terrible DL.

What we desperately need is LB help, to go with the obvious hole at S.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

IMO I'd sign Clowney and just cut Vernon. There's your instant cap space...or, you keep them both and Vernon goes bye bye next year, and you have a great 3rd down rush package with Clowney, Myles, Vernon, and Ogunjobi, not to mention Richardson and Billings as your interior DT types on 1st and 2nd Down. Throw in Chad Thomas and Takitaki as situational guys in Nickel packages and depth, and that's not a terrible DL.

What we desperately need is LB help, to go with the obvious hole at S.

Only two acceptable reasons to cut Vernon, its by signing Clowney or Drafting Chase Young but even than you still have cap space to keep him as well. Its not like he has a set contract date that at a certain point its all guaranteed and the Browns cant no longer afford to not cut him. Keep him around as long as he has utility. He provides it as being a solid DE. If a major injury happens or whatever and they need to create cap space to make a trade or sign a guy, then you cut him  

• Like 1