plug and play positions

valkrei

I wouldn’t even say there is that big of a gap between any of the top 6 RB’s.   Honestly I think Akers, CEH, and Moss fit our offense better than the top 3 anyways.

RB is definitely at the top of list of plug in play positions though,   I might say Safety is up there as well 

22 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I know Dobbins went to OSU. He has an issue you see with a lot of Alabama players.

A significant part of his productivity is system generated. Most lists put him in the mid 2nd round, whereas I would say early 3rd round. Put him head to head with Cam Akers and I will take Akers.

J

Disagree totally. You don't break 50+ tackles being a "system" RB. That's individual and lends more credence to him being very talented. He's a bruiser and while that may not be the type we're after here but he will be a solid RB wherever he goes, no doubt in my mind.

14 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

I wouldn’t even say there is that big of a gap between any of the top 6 RB’s.   Honestly I think Akers, CEH, and Moss fit our offense better than the top 3 anyways.

RB is definitely at the top of list of plug in play positions though,   I might say Safety is up there as well 

I would. I am not even sure who you mean by the top three. Swift and Taylor are a tier above the others. Then you drop about 15 picks and choose between Akers, CEH, Dobbins, probably in that order. Tier three is just Moss. Those six are spread from over about 80 picks. There are likely a dozen WR in that range.

5 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Disagree totally. You don't break 50+ tackles being a "system" RB. That's individual and lends more credence to him being very talented. He's a bruiser and while that may not be the type we're after here but he will be a solid RB wherever he goes, no doubt in my mind.

He's a great college runner, but he also got into the secondary clean a lot. I do not think he plays as well with faster defenses and an offense not built around him. The difference is between good and outstanding. Dobbins is just good.

J

36 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Moss is top 3 imo

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

I would. I am not even sure who you mean by the top three. Swift and Taylor are a tier above the others. Then you drop about 15 picks and choose between Akers, CEH, Dobbins, probably in that order. Tier three is just Moss. Those six are spread from over about 80 picks. There are likely a dozen WR in that range.

J

Swift, Dobbins, Taylor are pretty much universally the top 3 in a variety of order.    Swift “might” be the only one who really stands out.  

Taylor:  would be a waste imo, everything he is elite at,  we don’t feature a ton.   He’s just an odd fit for the way our offense is ran.   

Dobbins, Akers, Moss, CEH.   Really none of them stand out over the other.   Moss is right there with them though.  I don’t really care where they are ranked in a total prospects numbering system,,,  none of them stand out from one another.. which is why taking one early doesn’t make sense.   Honestly I’d take Moss or CEH over the other 2 if all 4 were on the board

20 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

Swift, Dobbins, Taylor are pretty much universally the top 3 in a variety of order.    Swift “might” be the only one who really stands out.  Taylor:  would be a waste imo, everything he is elite at,  we don’t feature a ton.   He’s just an odd fit for the way our offense is ran.   

Dobbins, Akers, Moss, CEH.   Really none of them stand out over the other.   Moss is right there with them though.  I don’t really care where they are ranked in a total prospects numbering system,,,  none of them stand out from one another.. which is why taking one early doesn’t make sense.   Honestly I’d take Moss or CEH over the other 2 if all 4 were on the board

That's more like it. Choosing among the second tier is largely a matter of taste. As I said, that's where I put Dobbins.

J

• Like 1

Honestly, I think RBs are more plug and play for other teams, than for us. With the premium we put on reliable pass blocking at RB, and even on some timing routes (think Damien Williams's receiving touchdowns in the playoffs), I think we really don't like putting unpolished players in at the position. We red-shirted West. Almost did with Thompson, who they visibly didn't trust. Damien was on roster 10+ weeks before seeing much time. Ware was a 2 year vet, and waited half a year to get playing time. I think RB is plug and play from a pure running perspective, because there's not that much variety in blocking schemes, handoffs, etc., but we put less emphasis on that than on blitz pickup and ability as a checkdown option, so I don't think the team views RB as plug and play at all. Plug and play for veteran free agents, maybe. But certainly not for rookies. Hunt is the only rookie we've ever really played under Reid, and he was exceptional and surprisingly refined from the outset. And we have consistently played less impressive runners if it means more reliability in pass pro and receiving (early West over Ware, for instance.)

Odds are, we draft a RB, they're getting borderline redshirted.

30 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Odds are, we draft a RB, they're getting borderline redshirted.

With the apparent lack of OTAs, mini-camp, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if this happens to most of our draft picks. The only position I can see getting a real chance to start early, without injury issues *knock on wood*, is LB.

Durability concerns with Moss. Had season ending meniscus surgery in 2018. But no doubt he's talented.

Cam Akers has ball security issues. Andy Reid doesn't like this.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire, at 5'7", won't inspire in pass protection.

D'Andre Swift also has ball security issues. At 5'8", may have issues in pass pro. Will need to learn to use his hands in pass protection

AJ Dillion may have durability issues with high odometer use.

The only back i'm not reading concerns about is JK Dobbins. Only slight durability issues as he ran for 194, 230 and 301 carries.

10 hours ago, mayanfootball said:

Durability concerns with Moss. Had season ending meniscus surgery in 2018. But no doubt he's talented.

Cam Akers has ball security issues. Andy Reid doesn't like this.

Clyde Edwards-Helaire, at 5'7", won't inspire in pass protection.

D'Andre Swift also has ball security issues. At 5'8", may have issues in pass pro. Will need to learn to use his hands in pass protection

AJ Dillion may have durability issues with high odometer use.

The only back i'm not reading concerns about is JK Dobbins. Only slight durability issues as he ran for 194, 230 and 301 carries.

After LeSean McCoy, I don't like it either. Legit dropped 2-3 games due to fumbles last year.