Turtle’s Rnd 1 Mock - No Trades

turtle28

16 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

Dobbins is not a first round talent. There are none in this draft at RB. He will be a solid NFL player, but he is no Adrian Peterson. Damien Williams is not a household name and he was once an UDFA, but I am not sure Dobbins could take his starting position, certainly not day 1. For one thing, Williams is faster. Did you see him blow by the 49er defense to put the Super Bowl away?

RB is not a need position. Shady McCoy did not even suit up for the Super Bowl and he was healthy. Where the team is thin is DT, where Chris Jones has a contract hanging, CB, IOL, ILB and Edge. They have issues at OT and TE looming in a year or two. RB is way down the list.

J

You realize the difference between the #32 selection and the 2nd round is only one draft selection?

And I stand by my projection that Dobbins equals what Mark Ingram is now, and better then what Ingram was when he was drafted.

I agree DT could be selected there, interior OL, ILB and CB are needs too.

I went with what I think is the best player. I have never understood why people sleep on Dobbins as being an elite RB. He should have been at NY for the Heisman ceremony, 2,500 yds from scrimmage & 25 TDs? How do people sleep on that? 

Dobbins stats as a junior were better then Ezekiel Elliot’s and Elliot went #4.

I know who Damien Williams is and he’s fine, there’s nothing wrong with him but he’s not the guy who’s actually going to give the Chiefs a good running game. Shady McCoy? He didn’t suit up bc he’s over the hill and will probably be retiring. 

I mean, Dobbins just doubled Damien Williams’s career stats last year in college.

Why would you not want that?

Edited by turtle28

32 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You realize the difference between the #32 selection and the 2nd round is only one draft selection?

And I stand by my projection that Dobbins equals what Mark Ingram is now, and better then what Ingram was when he was drafted.

I agree DT could be selected there, interior OL, ILB and CB are needs too.

I went with what I think is the best player. I have never understood why people sleep on Dobbins as being an elite RB. He should have been at NY for the Heisman ceremony, 2,500 yds from scrimmage & 25 TDs? How do people sleep on that? Dobbins stats as a junior were better then Ezekiel Elliot’s and Elliot went #4. I know who Damien Williams is and he’s fine, there’s nothing wrong with him but he’s not the guy who’s actually going to give the Chiefs a good running game. Shady McCoy? He didn’t suit up bc he’s over the hill and will probably be retiring. I mean, Dobbins just doubled Damien Williams’s career stats last year in college.

Why would you not want that?

You want that because he has proven himself in the NFL. Dobbins hasn't yet. If 133 combined yards and 2TD against the 49ers' defense isn't resume enough, you need new standards.

A round later, in this case, means not even if he's available at #63. 

6 minutes ago, onejayhawk said:

You want that because he has proven himself in the NFL. Dobbins hasn't yet. If 133 combined yards and 2TD against the 49ers' defense isn't resume enough, you need new standards.

A round later, in this case, means not even if he's available at #63. 

You’re likely not going to get Dobbins, Swift or Taylor in round 2 at #63 and if you do, it’s lucky.

Again, I’m not putting down Williams here but I do think the Chiefs need to strongly consider going RB high in the draft. 

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Good pick at 22 with Gross Matos. Vikes need a Cb at 25 though. Terrel, Gladney or Johnson would work. 

Yeah, I went back and forth on that. Considering they traded away Diggs, I figured they’d get his replacement.

Just now, turtle28 said:

Yeah, I went back and forth on that. Considering they traded away Diggs, I figured they’d get his replacement.

Thielen, Smith and Rudolph are still the top options, which is solid. Vikes run lots of 2 TE sets. Bisi Johnson was also okay last year as a possession target. MN needs a receiver who can stretch the field above all, I think they could get someone like Pittman, Edwards, Davis or Claypool in round two or three.

After losing Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander this offseason, I’d expect two CBs in the top 100. Give Zimmer two first round picks, he’s pretty much getting one, at the least. They take CBs early when they don’t even need them. 

48 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

You’re likely not going to get Dobbins, Swift or Taylor in round 2 at #63 and if you do, it’s lucky. Again, I’m not putting down Williams here but I do think the Chiefs need to strongly consider going RB high in the draft. 

I am absolutely good with not taking a RB high in the draft. Moss or Dillon in round four, if at all. Not a need. Not a priority.

J

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Thielen, Smith and Rudolph are still the top options, which is solid. Vikes run lots of 2 TE sets. Bisi Johnson was also okay last year as a possession target. MN needs a receiver who can stretch the field above all, I think they could get someone like Pittman, Edwards, Davis or Claypool in round two or three.

After losing Rhodes, Waynes and Alexander this offseason, I’d expect two CBs in the top 100. Give Zimmer two first round picks, he’s pretty much getting one, at the least. They take CBs early when they don’t even need them. 

True. And they'll probably draft two CBs, one in round 1 or 2 and one in the mid rounds. Wouldn't shock me if they sign someone too after the draft.