What if they fall: Simmons, Herbert and Brown?

Simple question: how do the 49ers react if any of the above three players slip to pick #13?

Simmons: I would hope that the team would run to the podium with this pick. I guess Simmons would probably line up at LB on base downs (bumping Greenlaw), and at slot on nickel downs (bumping Williams), and I think he'd be amazing. Too good a player to pass up, imo.

Herbert: I'd hope the team would be working the phones if Justin Herbert is still on the board at #13, but I also wonder if Kyle wouldn't simply draft and develop Herbert. Jimmy's contract is easy to escape after year 3, iirc, and we're going into year 3, so the FO would have leverage to just cut him if they can't find a trade. It sounds like a pretty cold move to make, but Herbert has a ton of potential, and John/Kyle have very long leashes at this point. If they believe in Herbert, I could see them drafting him and letting him sit, then trading Garoppolo next season, and using the money for other purposes. This would be an especially interesting route if for some reason all of the other top targets are off the board (which is more likely if Herbert slips).

Brown: this would be weird, given that they traded another DT to acquire the selection, but I think Brown at #13 is still a win, and the Colts wouldn't have dealt it if they could have been guaranteed Derrick Brown with their pick. I wouldn't prefer Brown to any of the top-3 WR, but there's a chance all three are gone (more likely if Brown slips), and I think he's a top-10 talent. Again, picking Brown would be weird, but if it's down to him and like, Herbert, Becton, and Henderson, I can see a world in which taking Derrick Brown is the best move.

1. Yes. Very excited. 

2. Nope. I trade that pick. But I also think he's the second qb off the board

3. I like brown more than most as I think he gets under rated due to the hype for kinlaw, this is one of those picks where I'm okay with it, but not jumping for joy. It's just like a solid average grade for me

1. Pass on Simmons. I keep hearing how great he is, but at what position is he "GREAT" at" Sure he seems versatile, but I rather try to trade down and hope some team comes up and gives a solid amount for him.

2. Try to trade down again but if not, just pass on Herbert.

3. I would be pretty mad if we took Brown, not going to lie. Not a bad player of course, but not going to be a great pass rusher and we're going to take him in the top 15? Over a WR, potentially a top 3-4 OT or top 2 corner? Yuck.....

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

You just summed up how I feel about Kinlaw and Mims. 

But they don't get the hype Simmons does. Like Simmons is getting legit top 5 hype. So I'm just curious which position he will be great at. Is it LB? SS? Where? Sure he is versatile and that has value, but I just want to know where you can pin him as an all pro. 

55 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

At what position will he be elite? SS?? LB?

His uniqueness is his versatility. I would move him all over. He's not a pass-rusher though so that's probably the only place I wouldn't put him but he could be the type of player that could play 3 diff positions on three different downs and make game-changing plays at each position. Its like he's Kuechly, Chancellor, and your best outside 'backer rolled into one player. I wouldn't put him at just one position. That's narrow-minded imo. He's like a big chess piece. Move him around depending on the scheme and personnel you're facing.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

His uniqueness is his versatility. I would move him all over. He's not a pass-rusher though so that's probably the only place I wouldn't put him but he could be the type of player that could play 3 diff positions on three different downs and make game-changing plays at each position. Its like he's Kuechly, Chancellor, and your best outside 'backer rolled into one player. I wouldn't put him at just one position. That's narrow-minded imo. He's like a big chess piece. Move him around depending on the scheme and personnel you're facing.

Got it, so is he a jack of all trades and master of none.....? Or is he a master or multiple things? I think his true value would be if he can match up with opposing TEs and backs on a high level. Say he is available as well as Thomas, who would you take? 

20 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Got it, so is he a jack of all trades and master of none.....? Or is he a master or multiple things? I think his true value would be if he can match up with opposing TEs and backs on a high level. Say he is available as well as Thomas, who would you take? 

OL OL OL !!!!

The defense was and will be strong. Protect the Jimmy.. and as outsiders (not allowed to interview or assess closely enough).. to potentially debate precision draft value between them would be fun but laughably arrogant/ignorant. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

OL OL OL !!!!

The defense was and will be strong. Protect the Jimmy.. and as outsiders (not allowed to interview or assess closely enough).. to potentially debate precision draft value between them would be fun but laughably arrogant/ignorant. 

I agree. Hoping one of the top guns fall in the draft and there is a run on for QBs and other positions. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Clemson played him as a niceklback and at boundary CB. He can run with ANY TE. Dude has legit track speed at his size. I wouldn't say he is master at multiple positions but he was above average just about anywhere he lined up. He has the potential to be the most versatile defender in the history of the NFL. But its going to take a out-of-the-box DC to really use him as a weapon. 

I'd play him at ILB in the nickel and SS in base with some slot CB sprinkled in, depending on if he's facing a TE like Kelce or Kittle. He should never come of the field...under any circumstance.

Edited by 757-NINER

43 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Clemson played him as a niceklback and at boundary CB. He can run with ANY TE. Dude has legit track speed at his size. I wouldn't say he is master at multiple positions but he was above average just about anywhere he lined up. He has the potential to be the most versatile defender in the history of the NFL. But its going to take a out-of-the-box DC to really use him as a weapon. 

I'd play him at ILB in the nickel and SS in base with some slot CB sprinkled in, depending on if he's facing a TE like Kelce or Kittle. He should never come of the field...under any circumstance.

Having a swiss army type of weapon is good and all, but that's a bit overrated IMO. Give me a dominant player at his position than someone that can do a bunch of things....but is great at none of them.