What if they fall: Simmons, Herbert and Brown?

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Having a swiss army type of weapon is good and all, but that's a bit overrated IMO. Give me a dominant player at his position than someone that can do a bunch of things....but is great at none of them.

Its not overated. Just that few have the legit talent and athletic ability to pull it off. 

The only reason Simmons isn't considered the best player in the entire draft because he doesn't pressure the QB and that will always trump all in the eyes of the pundits, in terms of evaluations. But Simmons IS the best defensive player in the draft for my money.

He has the ability to really be a special kind of defender. I understand the narrative of master one position and be great at it. But if I were a DC and had a talent like that at my disposal, it would allow me to really play chess with a offense. I would list him on my roster as simply 'defender' and let the offense guess where he was going to line up every week. I feel he's being undervalued because he doesn't put the QB on the ground and those guys are always valued more. But think about how bad our defense looked when Tartt went out. Ford was out as well but the ability to chase n tackle hash-to-hash and affect both the short-midrange passing game and be a factor in the box, against the run arguably affects a the offense just as much as the guy lining up on the edge every snap and rushing the passer. And especially with the pro game incoperating more and more of these running QBs with college spread concepts. That intermediate, middle of the field area between the hashes is more important than ever. And Simmons is the kind of hybrid defender that can help you stifle guys like Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson.

Now he's not flawless. Needs to get a bit stronger and be better@stacking and shedding. And he's not the most instinctual to the ball as a run defender but I think alot of that had to do with how Venables used him. But he's such a great talent in my eyes. But like I said, he needs the right defensive mind that's going to unlock all that he has to offer.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Its not overated. Just that few have the legit talent and athletic ability to pull it off. 

The only reason Simmons isn't considered the best player in the entire draft because he doesn't pressure the QB and that will always trump all in the eyes of the pundits, in terms of evaluations. But Simmons IS the best prospect in the draft for my money.

He has the ability to really be a special kind of defender. I understand the narrative of master one position and be great at it. But if I were a DC and had a talent like that at my disposal, it would allow me to really play chess with a offense. I would list him on my roster as simply 'defender' and let the offense guess where he was going to line up every week. I feel he's being undervalued because he doesn't put the QB on the ground and those guys are always valued more. But think about how bad our defense looked when Tartt went out. Ford was out as well but the ability to run and hash-to-hash and affect both the short-midrange passing game and be a factor against the run arguably affects a the offense just as much as the guy lining up on the edge every snap and rushing the passer passer. And especially with the pro game incoperating more and more of these running QBs with college spread concepts. That intermediate, middle of the field area between the hashes is more important than ever. And Simmons is the kind of hybrid defender that can help you stifle guys like Kyler Murray and Lamar Jackson.

Now he's not flawless. Needs to get a bit stronger and be better@stacking and shedding. And he's not the most instinctual to the ball as a run defender but I think alot of that had to do with how Venables used him. But he's such a great talent in my eyes. But like I said, he needs the right defensive mind that's going to unlock all that he has to offer. 

Again, versatility is great and all, but if he's not great at one thing or one position, then it is overrated. Now, if Simmons ends up being super elite in coverage and can match up with pretty much any TE or back? Then that's awesome and the versatility only adds to that skill set. 

20 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Again, versatility is great and all, but if he's not great at one thing or one position, then it is overrated. Now, if Simmons ends up being super elite in coverage and can match up with pretty much any TE or back? Then that's awesome and the versatility only adds to that skill set. 

Simmons is discussed, at length starting@the 7:09 mark of the vid. Though I disagree with some of their takes on how to employ Simmons in the pros, its one of the more thorough breakdowns you'll find....

Edited by 757-NINER