Baseball is back? 60 game season incoming

DirtyDez

7 minutes ago, mission27 said:

I don't understand why its so far fetched except for the fact that this Arizona idea is kind of crazy

We're talking about people returning to offices and restaurants opening in May or June in some areas.  Parts of Europe sooner.  

Why is a baseball game (without fans) all that much more dangerous than anything else people will be doing once the lockdown is lifted?  

Maybe limit roster sizes / number of people who can be in the dugout / number of staff who can be at the games.  But even if you have 100 people on each side, that's not ideal, but its not anything like a stadium with 35k people in it

Im on the side that if we are asked to change out lives for the next 6-8 months, then we need to be rewarded with something. Hollywood is already running out of new stuff to give us movie and tv wise, and if they dont resume, whats left? Whats going to keep the country somewhat pacified? Hell, the Romans knew to have the Circus and Gladiator fights during hard times to keep the public sedated.

Sports will have to start soon before the public pushes back and we have more issues than just a pandemic.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Im on the side that if we are asked to change out lives for the next 6-8 months, then we need to be rewarded with something. Hollywood is already running out of new stuff to give us movie and tv wise, and if they dont resume, whats left? Whats going to keep the country somewhat pacified? Hell, the Romans knew to have the Circus and Gladiator fights during hard times to keep the public sedated.

Sports will have to start soon before the public pushes back and we have more issues than just a pandemic.

I Don't know why professional golf was postponed.  The players are basically separated anyway and folks down here in FL are playing even with the restrictions in place.   Just eliminate the galleries and make sure everyone working or participating in tournaments are tested and not infected.  At least we could watch some of that to keep us from being bored to tears if we can't have baseball.

On 4/12/2020 at 1:05 PM, Pugger said:

I Don't know why professional golf was postponed.  The players are basically separated anyway and folks down here in FL are playing even with the restrictions in place.   Just eliminate the galleries and make sure everyone working or participating in tournaments are tested and not infected.  At least we could watch some of that to keep us from being bored to tears if we can't have baseball.

Seriously 

There was a pretty quick rush to stop everything until we had time to think it through but I would think golf would be a pretty easy one

On 11/04/2020 at 11:42 PM, mission27 said:

I don't understand why its so far fetched except for the fact that this Arizona idea is kind of crazy

We're talking about people returning to offices and restaurants opening in May or June in some areas.  Parts of Europe sooner.  

Why is a baseball game (without fans) all that much more dangerous than anything else people will be doing once the lockdown is lifted?  

Maybe limit roster sizes / number of people who can be in the dugout / number of staff who can be at the games.  But even if you have 100 people on each side, that's not ideal, but its not anything like a stadium with 35k people in it

I'm definitely not any sort of expert, but I was reading the SI piece on why sports this year is far fetched and they use the MLB idea: https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon

I think it comes down to logistics and how many people have to be involved even without fans. Again not an expert so I'm not sure if it's hyped up at all. Article does mention golf and tennis being able to come back easier.

If you keep fans away longer, there really is no reason why baseball can't resume once people go back to work.  There is roughly 500 people that work in the building I work in, and that building is smaller than a baseball stadium, and they can likely make do with less than 500 people, especially since you wouldn't need ushers, concession workers, and the vast majority of the cleaning crews.

• Like 1

On 4/12/2020 at 12:05 PM, Pugger said:

That's part of the argument though, as doing this would require dedicating needed tests that are already in shortage...

8 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

That's part of the argument though, as doing this would require dedicating needed tests that are already in shortage...

Right but nobody is talking about doing this tomorrow

Testing capacity is growing every day and come mid-May or whatever, should be higher

And I just dont see how baseball or golf is any more of a risk than anything else, to the Duke's point.  Once we lift lockdown people will be exposed and will get sick.  Having 30k or 60k people in one place is reckless, a couple hundred is not ideal but the benefit may outweigh the cost especially if we are careful about it 

Korea and Taiwan baseball is coming back too

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

Right but nobody is talking about doing this tomorrow

Testing capacity is growing every day and come mid-May or whatever, should be higher

And I just dont see how baseball or golf is any more of a risk than anything else, to the Duke's point.  Once we lift lockdown people will be exposed and will get sick.  Having 30k or 60k people in one place is reckless, a couple hundred is not ideal but the benefit may outweigh the cost especially if we are careful about it 

Korea and Taiwan baseball is coming back too

Nope. You're right. I'm just pointing out the arguement that's out there, as it does hold some weight for consideration...

I really think we get MLB July 4th weekend, specifically a Friday July 3rd start date. In just the past week, we have heard the California governor go from him not seeing sports in California before Thanksgiving to he doesnt think sports with spectators will be played anytime soon.

Society should start to get back to some normality around May 1st in most places. As long as we are keeping numbers down, players should return to their spring homes by the first of June, and that would give them a month to get ready, and for MLB to get the final touches in place.

MLB just has to figure out logistics of playing a season, and where.

14 hours ago, Canadian Saint said:

I'm definitely not any sort of expert, but I was reading the SI piece on why sports this year is far fetched and they use the MLB idea: https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/04/10/sports-arent-coming-back-soon

I think it comes down to logistics and how many people have to be involved even without fans. Again not an expert so I'm not sure if it's hyped up at all. Article does mention golf and tennis being able to come back easier.

This is all I needed to read in the article

“If people just decide to let it burn in most areas and we do lose a couple million people it’d probably be over by the fall,” says Binney. “You’d have football. You’d also have two million dead people. And let’s talk about that number. We’re really bad at dealing with big numbers. That is a Super Bowl blown up by terrorists, killing every single person in the building, 24 times in six months. It’s 9/11 every day for 18 months. What freedoms have we given up, what wars have we fought, what blood have we shed, what money have we spent in the interest of stopping one more 9/11? This is 9/11 every day for 18 months.”

10 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Rutgers just got a saliva test approved by the FDA and rolling it out to New Jersey today, so I don't think it's farfetched to have that available.  

Also, the PGA Tour is planning their first event June 11-14.  Maryland courts are reopening June 5th as the current plan (they just held an appeal and stuck with it) so I can easily see a June-July timeframe for this.