Baseball is back? 60 game season incoming

DirtyDez

5 hours ago, devils1854 said:
  • 10 Spring Training sites
  • Chase Field
  • 2 Arizona State baseball fields
  • Grand Canyon baseball field

Thats 14 stadiums. You would need one more if you played regular season, unless you 100% played a double header 5 days a week. Grand Canyon is small in the alleys, but it would work in a pinch and is nice. 

My biggest question, is where are you going to have all teams camped out. You have 10 teams in Arizona that share facilities now. You can throw three teams at the college baseball stadiums. You can throw Arizona in Chase and have someone else take their camp for this year. Thats 14. You have 5 other teams that have their own facilities in Arizona, and since full systems wont be down, you can have a second team sharing space. Thats 24. You still need space for 6 other teams. Gonna try to put three teams at some sites? I dont know about that. 

There are minor league stadiums in FL too.  Heck, you could have games in Tampa and Miami.  They've been exercising social distancing for years.  ;)

But seriously, if the country is opened up some in late May or June I don't see why games couldn't be played if proper precautions are enacted even if the stands are empty.  It might be economic and societal suicide to keep this shutdown going for many more months and I'm not just talking about baseball or sports.

10 hours ago, Pugger said:

There are minor league stadiums in FL too.  Heck, you could have games in Tampa and Miami.  They've been exercising social distancing for years.  ;)

But seriously, if the country is opened up some in late May or June I don't see why games couldn't be played if proper precautions are enacted even if the stands are empty.  It might be economic and societal suicide to keep this shutdown going for many more months and I'm not just talking about baseball or sports.

They want Arizona because all 14+ stadiums are within the Phoenix metro area. Its spread all over in Florida, so if they wanted to quarantine everyone, it would be much more difficult. Plus, rain outs and natural disasters are much more common in Florida. Its just deathly heat in Phoenix during the summer.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, devils1854 said:
  • 10 Spring Training sites
  • Chase Field
  • 2 Arizona State baseball fields
  • Grand Canyon baseball field

Thats 14 stadiums. You would need one more if you played regular season, unless you 100% played a double header 5 days a week. Grand Canyon is small in the alleys, but it would work in a pinch and is nice. 

My biggest question, is where are you going to have all teams camped out. You have 10 teams in Arizona that share facilities now. You can throw three teams at the college baseball stadiums. You can throw Arizona in Chase and have someone else take their camp for this year. Thats 14. You have 5 other teams that have their own facilities in Arizona, and since full systems wont be down, you can have a second team sharing space. Thats 24. You still need space for 6 other teams. Gonna try to put three teams at some sites? I dont know about that. 

You already kind of got at the two big problems:

1. There isn't enough space to have every team, plus training staff, plus medical staff (who could be helping elsewhere), coaches, etc. and maintain enough distance. Being on your own works great until it doesn't and you're all cramped together, ask the Navy.
  2. What do you do when someone has to break out of the bubble? Because that's going to happen.

20 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You already kind of got at the two big problems:

1. There isn't enough space to have every team, plus training staff, plus medical staff (who could be helping elsewhere), coaches, etc. and maintain enough distance. Being on your own works great until it doesn't and you're all cramped together, ask the Navy.
  2. What do you do when someone has to break out of the bubble? Because that's going to happen.

Of course if a therapy or drug is found to successfully treat this virus so it doesn't kill those at risk until a vaccine is found distancing might not be so critical.

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Of course if a therapy or drug is found to successfully treat this virus so it doesn't kill those at risk until a vaccine is found distancing might not be so critical.

Apart from the antibody treatments, there's nothing that would be ready on a broad scale for it to notably change the risk factor for this baseball season.

4 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Along those lines......

Just today: French hospital halts hydroxychloroquine treatment study due to cardiac side effects.

11 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Apart from the antibody treatments, there's nothing that would be ready on a broad scale for it to notably change the risk factor for this baseball season.

This isn't even getting into the INSANE landmine that is legal culpability for all of this.

18 hours ago, devils1854 said:

They want Arizona because all 14+ stadiums are within the Phoenix metro area. Its spread all over in Florida, so if they wanted to quarantine everyone, it would be much more difficult. Plus, rain outs and natural disasters are much more common in Florida. Its just deathly heat in Phoenix during the summer.

Interesting choice of words considering the circumstances

Hopefully the dry, scortching 110 degree Phoenix weather brings death to the virus so we watch some baseball

With that being said, it seems like a big stretch (pun intended) No way to guarantee player to player transmission. I guess you could quarantine everyone for 2 weeks before they arrive? Do you make baserunners wear masks? That is where we are right now 

Baseball has been played since the 1800s. Did they stop playing during the Spanish flu? I know they played through both world wars.its crazy to think about a summer without baseball, but it's even more crazy and definitely negligent to play right now. 

Even if the virus goes away for a summer, it's going to come back in the fall/winter 

26 minutes ago, Dingo18287 said:

Some talk about splitting the leagues into Arizona and Florida leagues, instead of NL and AL. Sounds like they’re looking at different options to get a season in. 

The main problem with that is that its odd number of teams in each league. There's going to be a team not playing at all times. 

The solution would be to move Cincinnati to Daytona, where their high A team is located. I dont know if that facility would be good enough, but it might be the only option. 

On 4/8/2020 at 10:24 AM, Leader said:

Along those lines......

Just today: French hospital halts hydroxychloroquine treatment study due to cardiac side effects.

That hospital stopped using it because one patient had cardiac side effects.  Every drug has side effects and they can affect certain folks but not others.  Hydroxychloroquine on its own presents only a small cardiac risk.   I don't know if this was the case in this French hospital or not but if it is given alongside the antibiotic azithromycin, with which it is being prescribed in combination for the treatment of coronavirus, the risk increases.    I will say if I'm in ICU and can't breathe I'll take the chance.  I have heard there are other drugs out there used for other conditions that might hold promise.   It will help to get us back to something resembling normalcy if we know there is something our doctor can give us if we get real sick from this virus.

16 hours ago, Pugger said:

It will help to get us back to something resembling normalcy if we know there is something our doctor can give us if we get real sick from this virus.

This is true. We cant social distance forever.

I will say if I'm in ICU and can't breathe I'll take the chance. 

This is also true - and - the normal practice would be for the doctor to advise you (if possible) or your family before administering it. Doc gives a patient an untested drug to combat a virus its not known to defeat - and the patient dies because of cardiac arrest - that opens up an entirely different can of worms for the doctor and hospital. 

That hospital stopped using it because one patient had cardiac side effects.  Every drug has side effects and they can affect certain folks but not others. 

Since this announcement by the hospital in Nice, three other medical associations (including the AMA) have put out public advisories warning of the possibilities of using Hydroxy - in other words - establishing a format within which doctors should administer the drug plus a legal format which protects them. 

Edited by Leader

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is true. We cant social distance forever.

This is also true - and - the normal practice would be for the doctor to advise you (if possible) or your family before administering it. Doc gives a patient an untested drug to combat a virus its not known to defeat - and the patient dies because of cardiac arrest - that opens up an entirely different can of worms for the doctor and hospital. 

Since this announcement by the hospital in Nice, three other medical associations (including the AMA) have put out public advisories warning of the possibilities of using Hydroxy - in other words - establishing a format within which doctors should administer the drug plus a legal format which protects them. 

You have to wonder if it was the hydroxy or the antibiotic that caused the cardiac issues.  Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis patients have taken hydroxy for years with minimal side effects.  You are right, it is really up to a doctor to know if you can take it safely.   I saw another doctor on TV say there are several other drugs being tested that show promise too.  

Edited by Pugger

I don't understand why its so far fetched except for the fact that this Arizona idea is kind of crazy

We're talking about people returning to offices and restaurants opening in May or June in some areas.  Parts of Europe sooner.  

Why is a baseball game (without fans) all that much more dangerous than anything else people will be doing once the lockdown is lifted?  

Maybe limit roster sizes / number of people who can be in the dugout / number of staff who can be at the games.  But even if you have 100 people on each side, that's not ideal, but its not anything like a stadium with 35k people in it