Vikings Pick at 22

goldfishwars

4 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Hi guys

We're voting on Minnesota's pick at 21 in the draft section for the next 24 hours. It would be great to have your thoughts and votes. 

Kristian Fulton is sitting right there staring them in the face and YMG is leading the vote...lol sigh

17 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Kristian Fulton is sitting right there staring them in the face and YMG is leading the vote...lol sigh

I see nothing wrong with that. There are four Cb options with fairly equal value in Fulton, Diggs, Gladney and Johnson whereas there’s one DE that fits the Zimmer prototype. Go pass rusher first and then grab a CB at 25, when you’re still going to be able to grab one of the four listed above. 

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

It's because CB could be addressed in round 2, its a deep class.

Austin Jackson i hope he is the #25 pick, after going YMG with #22

Edited by CriminalMind

Just now, CriminalMind said:

It's because CB could be addressed in round 2, its a deep class.

I don’t know if I’d wait that long, I think the second is where I’d start to look at developmental OT options or a WR or IOL that could contribute right away. DT too I suppose.

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I don’t know if I’d wait that long, I think the second is where I’d start to look at developmental OT options or a WR or IOL that could contribute right away. DT too I suppose.

I would... A CB selected at #58 is not going to be vastly inferior to one selected at #25

And i don't consider Austin Jackson developmental OT. He is the last of the bunch who is an auto day 1 contributor, at least this is my opinion from film.

9 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I would... A CB selected at #58 is not going to be vastly inferior to one selected at #25

And i don't consider Austin Jackson developmental OT. He is the last of the bunch who is an auto day 1 contributor, at least this is my opinion from film.

I agree on Jackson and I like him a lot of we go Tackle but I am not seeing how a rookie Tackle contributes from day one. Move him to Guard? I don’t see it happening for Reiff but who knows.

Edited by vikingsrule

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree on Jackson and I like him a lot of we go Tackle but I am not seeing how a rookie Tackle contributes from day one. Move him to Guard? I don’t see it happening for Reiff but who knows.

Yes the option of plugging Jackson to LG is there, because he has the power and playing weight to do it for 1 year (IMO only Jackson and Wirfs have this true versatility among the top OTs), assuming we don't cut Reiff before the season (which I'm not expecting at this point). He'd could than take over LT duties following Reiff's departure next offseason

22 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Austin Jackson says oops

https://[LINK ERROR]/16nrm#

Second time I've seen it mentioned that Jackson could play guard for a year, I think that's a fallacy, personally.

I'm as big a USC homer as there is but just because he had a good weigh in doesn't mean he can play on the inside.  He, currently, lacks the core strength to help him anchor against larger defensive lineman, and his technical issues with hand placement, footwork and lunging are things that would get eaten up on the interior.  He's much better on the edge where his overall athleticism can make up for his current technique issues.

8 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Don't think it's that productive to show one snap of a poor play. I'm sure, this could be done with all prospects, even ones in the top 5.

Oops

It's just a microcosm of why I believe Jackson has a long way to go before he can hold his own at the NFL level. He is blessed with tremendous physical traits but his technique is poor, his leverage is poor (plays way too high), and his base is poor. I see that consistently when watching his cut ups. 

THAT SAID, all of that could be contributed to him donating bone marrow to his sister last summer and not being in a strength and conditioning program to get to playing strength for the season. 

He is a giant piece of clay that needs molded. I LOVE to grab players like this in the 2nd (kinda like Brian O'Neil!) but to hinge a first rounder on it is just too crazy for me.

1 minute ago, RpMc said:

Second time I've seen it mentioned that Jackson could play guard for a year, I think that's a fallacy, personally.

I'm as big a USC homer as there is but just because he had a good weigh in doesn't mean he can play on the inside.  He, currently, lacks the core strength to help him anchor against larger defensive lineman, and his technical issues with hand placement, footwork and lunging are things that would get eaten up on the interior.  He's much better on the edge where his overall athleticism can make up for his current technique issues.

Thanks, I tried to convey some of the same things I saw when I watched him and my takes are pretty similar. 

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

All voters for YMG appear to be Vikings fans

In a weak class for DEs overall, I'm not sure the guy the Vikings could draft in the 3rd round as a DE is going to be all that different from YGM.  I personally took Fulton because he's a class (or 2) above Gladney, Johnson and Diggs, as far as I'm concerned and he's the best player on the board.  I don't think the need at DE is as great as some seem to believe.  If this were a little better class of DE, maybe I'd consider it, but I don't view YGM as an elite talent, so I'm fine with waiting to get someone else a little more raw but with high upside and let Patterson work his magic again.  

• Like 2