Vikings Pick at 22

goldfishwars

CB is a position that I feel will be addressed at either 22/25 - unless you want to trade up from 58, the Day 1, starting caliber corners, outside of pure slot guys like Amik Robertson, are going to be gone in the top 50 picks.

There are a lot of CB needy teams

Every team in the NFC south needs at least one, the Eagles and Cowboys, Raiders/Chiefs/Broncos, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh has a dire need, the Jets have a dire need and that's just off the top of my head.

-----

Trading up in the second round to get in to the top fifty is likely going to cost us one of our third round picks, and for the holes we need to fill on this team, it's just not prudent.  No reason to force a tackle selection when Reiff is going to be on the team for this year, and there's some good options to upgrade at LG.

Reiff / Rookie Guard / Bradbury / Samia / O'Neill is likely just as good for one year as Rookie Tackle / Reiff / Bradbury / Samia / O'Neill or O'Neill / Reiff / Bradbury / Samia / Rookie Tackle and you get another year to assess Oli Udoh to see if tackle becomes a true need next year.

I've got no problem taking YGM at either 22 or 25, but the other pick being a corner is highly likely given where players are ranked, need at the position, and the unlikely nature of getting a starting caliber corner at 58.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, swede700 said:

In a weak class for DEs overall, I'm not sure the guy the Vikings could draft in the 3rd round as a DE is going to be all that different from YGM.  I personally took Fulton because he's a class (or 2) above Gladney, Johnson and Diggs, as far as I'm concerned and he's the best player on the board.  I don't think the need at DE is as great as some seem to believe.  If this were a little better class of DE, maybe I'd consider it, but I don't view YGM as an elite talent, so I'm fine with waiting to get someone else a little more raw but with high upside and let Patterson work his magic again.  

I think you somewhat made a case for YGM. It’s a weak DE class and Zimmer has a track record of wanting a specific type, athletic, thick and lengthy. That’s YGM. He’s a legit first round pick and a fantastic athlete. I think he’d be in a good spot to sub in at DE in passing situations allowing Odinigbo to play 3T. I just don’t think there are many DEs in this class, maybe any, that fit the profile of YGM who can likely contribute right away. DE is a need and I don’t think Patterson can work his magic with late picks in this case if he needs players to play immediately. I’d double up on the DE position. Grab YGM and another in the 7th.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RpMc said:

CB is a position that I feel will be addressed at either 22/25 - unless you want to trade up from 58, the Day 1, starting caliber corners, outside of pure slot guys like Amik Robertson, are going to be gone in the top 50 picks.

There are a lot of CB needy teams

Every team in the NFC south needs at least one, the Eagles and Cowboys, Raiders/Chiefs/Broncos, Jacksonville, Pittsburgh has a dire need, the Jets have a dire need and that's just off the top of my head.

-----

Trading up in the second round to get in to the top fifty is likely going to cost us one of our third round picks, and for the holes we need to fill on this team, it's just not prudent.  No reason to force a tackle selection when Reiff is going to be on the team for this year, and there's some good options to upgrade at LG.

Reiff / Rookie Guard / Bradbury / Samia / O'Neill is likely just as good for one year as Rookie Tackle / Reiff / Bradbury / Samia / O'Neill or O'Neill / Reiff / Bradbury / Samia / Rookie Tackle and you get another year to assess Oli Udoh to see if tackle becomes a true need next year.

I've got no problem taking YGM at either 22 or 25, but the other pick being a corner is highly likely given where players are ranked, need at the position, and the unlikely nature of getting a starting caliber corner at 58.

This is generally how I’d group the first two days  

1 - DE YGM and CB Fulton/Terrel/Gladney/Johnson

2 - BPA WR or OL

3 - WR or OL and BPA CB, S or DT

If a DT like Gallimore falls to round two I’d jump on him but I think DT could problsby wait until the 3rd or 4th. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think you somewhat made a case for YGM. It’s a weak DE class and Zimmer has a track record of wanting a specific type, athletic, thick and lengthy. That’s YGM. He’s a legit first round pick and a fantastic athlete. I think he’d be in a good spot to sub in at DE in passing situations allowing Odinigbo to play 3T. I just don’t think there are many DEs in this class, maybe any, that fit the profile of YGM who can likely contribute right away. DE is a need and I don’t think Patterson can work his magic with late picks in this case if he needs players to play immediately. I’d double up on the DE position. Grab YGM and another in the 7th.

I understand that point, but I personally wouldn't take him at 22 because a guy like him is one we've usually taken in the 2nd or 3rd round in the past...that's why.  He is not an elite talent as far as I'm concerned and in any other normal class wouldn't go before the 2nd round.  So why would I take him in the 1st just because he's the best of a bad class?  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I understand that point, but I personally wouldn't take him at 22 because a guy like him is one we've usually taken in the 2nd or 3rd round in the past...that's why.  He is not an elite talent as far as I'm concerned and in any other normal class wouldn't go before the 2nd round.  So why would I take him in the 1st just because he's the best of a bad class?  

If he’s worth the pick, does it really matter where he ranks in his class? I think from a skill and talent standpoint, he’s a sure fire first round pick.

This class isn’t deep at DE, especially if we’re drafting Zimmer’s prototype. I wouldn’t count on finding one a couple rounds later. 

I really have no idea what I'm talking about...but I still contend that taking 2 OL in the first three picks is the best strategy for the Vikings.

So a little exercise for all the people that think the vikings can wait til 58 to grab a corner. Who do you think will be available?

I believe these corners will go before 58

Okudah

Henderson

Fulton

Gladney

Terrell

Igbinoghene

Diggs

Jaylon Johnson

Then, you're left with the next wave of Damon Arnette (short arms, slow, character concerns), Bryce Hall (injury concerns, scheme fit, safety projection?), Cameron Dantzler (really slow, really thin) and Troy Pride Jr. (more of a 3rd rounder).

I really think you need to grab one day 1 if there are no trades involved.

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I agree on Jackson and I like him a lot of we go Tackle but I am not seeing how a rookie Tackle contributes from day one. Move him to Guard? I don’t see it happening for Reiff but who knows.

I think we have to assume that no one is going to contribute from "day one" this year. I think there is a very strong possibility that there is no football this year, or that it will be an abbreviated season. 

For that reason, I'm not passing up a guy who I think can be a future star over one with a lower ceiling who might be better right now. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I think we have to assume that no one is going to contribute from "day one" this year. I think there is a very strong possibility that there is no football this year, or that it will be an abbreviated season. 

For that reason, I'm not passing up a guy who I think can be a future star over one with a lower ceiling who might be better right now. 

But is Jackson going to be a star?  I have no idea, and I'm real hesitant about USC offensive linemen...and it's not just being scarred by Kalil.  I can make the argument that the only good ones they've produced in 30-40 years (since the glory years of Munoz, Van Horne, and Bruce Matthews) are Ryan Kalil and Tyron Smith.  Otherwise, they've all been garbage.

Edited by swede700

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

But is Jackson going to be a star?  I have no idea, and I'm real hesitant about USC offensive linemen...and it's not just being scarred by Kalil.  I can make the argument that the only good ones they've produced in 30 years are Ryan Kalil and Tyron Smith.  Otherwise, they've all been garbage.

One can say the same about Penn State RB's up until Barkley. Or Notre Dame QB's other than Montana. Or Alabama DB's other than a couple. I don't buy into the "oh, it's a [position] from [school]." Your scouting department has to do their homework, and if they think the person has the abilities and traits to be a stud, you take them. Regardless of what school they went to. That's my opinion, anyway.

Just now, wcblack34 said:

One can say the same about Penn State RB's up until Barkley. Or Notre Dame QB's other than Montana. Or Alabama DB's other than a couple. I don't buy into the "oh, it's a [position] from [school]." Your scouting department has to do their homework, and if they think the person has the abilities and traits to be a stud, you take them. Regardless of what school they went to. That's my opinion, anyway.

That's fine.  But, it's certainly a significant pattern.  And Notre Dame QBs have been garbage since Montana, so that trend holds and I don't draft Notre Dame QBs...that went for Clausen (who I know we debated significantly here) and Brady Quinn...and I'm pretty sure DeShone Kizer proved that point again.  While you certainly can't just eliminate him out of the question that he could potentially develop into a star, the school he went to and it's history in developing those positions is a significant factor for me.  It has to be.  And the fact that his school has a poor history of producing offensive linemen means he has to have a lot of other attributes to overcome that.  And as far as I've read into him, that's not the case.  For me, he's at best a mid 2nd to early 3rd round player.  I'm certainly not considering him at 22 or 25.  Not at all.