Vikings Pick at 22

goldfishwars

2 hours ago, battle2heaven said:

So a little exercise for all the people that think the vikings can wait til 58 to grab a corner. Who do you think will be available?

I believe these corners will go before 58

Okudah

Henderson

Fulton

Gladney

Terrell

Igbinoghene

Diggs

Jaylon Johnson

Then, you're left with the next wave of Damon Arnette (short arms, slow, character concerns), Bryce Hall (injury concerns, scheme fit, safety projection?), Cameron Dantzler (really slow, really thin) and Troy Pride Jr. (more of a 3rd rounder).

I really think you need to grab one day 1 if there are no trades involved.

My feeling is...and I realize that it's not going to be popular...offense, especially the line, has got to be the priority.  The secondary is just going to have to suck for a season.

10 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

My feeling is...and I realize that it's not going to be popular...offense, especially the line, has got to be the priority.  The secondary is just going to have to suck for a season.

Good luck getting that through to our decision makers.

Edited by RpMc

5 minutes ago, RpMc said:

This isn't the thread to argue for new decision makers. We are talking here about the 22nd pick. I'm with Mr Virginia Vikings in hoping the offensive line is prioritized as I believe it should be.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

IMO, you can find starting interior linemen deeper in the draft than you can find high quality corners. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

This isn't the thread to argue for new decision makers. We are talking here about the 22nd pick. I'm with Mr Virginia Vikings in hoping the offensive line is prioritized as I believe it should be.

Wasn't arguing for different decision makers, I was talking specifically about the 22nd pick in terms of how our team is likely to prioritize positional need and value.

Immediate starting offensive line players can be founds in rounds two and three, the same isn't often said for corners.

1 minute ago, battle2heaven said:

IMO, you can find starting interior linemen deeper in the draft than you can find high quality corners. 

Sure, but you can find starting corners deeper in the draft than you can find high quality offensive linemen.

I would rather have the high quality players on the lines. Corners can be compensated for easier.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Sure, but you can find starting corners deeper in the draft than you can find high quality offensive linemen.

I would rather have the high quality players on the lines. Corners can be compensated for easier.

Zone offensive blocking schemes allow teams to compensate for their linemen. What zimmer asks his corners to do really does not. They need to have press man ability as he typically leaves them alone on an island for his defense to function as he wants it too.

13 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

The Vikings have followed that principle for years...and rarely works.

Like, I know everyone wants a good offensive line. But I really think its a huge overkill to go back to back years in the 1st round for interior linemen.

if you look at the current line

Reiff - 1st round

Bradbury - 1st round

Oneil - 2nd round

Elflein - 3rd round

Samia - 4th round

I know Ellflein has sucked and Samia is unproven. That's why I am advocating spending at least a day 2 pick there. But I don't think they should reach in the 1st to draft linemen; especially linemen for zone blocking schemes. 

22 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Oh...I tend to agree.  Zimmer and Spielman seem to be addicted to highly drafted DB's.

14 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Zone offensive blocking schemes allow teams to compensate for their linemen. What zimmer asks his corners to do really does not. They need to have press man ability as he typically leaves them alone on an island for his defense to function as he wants it too.

Zone blocking doesn't really allow teams to compensate for their linemen. It requires a different emphasis on their skills and also requires more cohesiveness as they must work together rather than simply beat their man.  It is tough to compensate for a weak link in the scheme.

And I agree with your point on Zimmer's scheme for corners. He'll either have to be able to coach up some mid round guys or adjust his scheme. I do believe he can coach up mid round guys. He got good production out of Hill when Hill wasn't being a knucklehead and getting suspended.

13 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I know Ellflein has sucked and Samia is unproven. That's why I am advocating spending at least a day 2 pick there. But I don't think they should reach in the 1st to draft linemen; especially linemen for zone blocking schemes. 

Afreed. They shouldn't reach. I wouldn't advocate for that either. I just want them to value them differently than they have before. History has shown that how the Vikings value offensive linemen is not in line with how teams with a stronger offensive line philosophy value them.

18 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Have they though? 

Who have they drafted beyond the 2nd round, who they expected to start? Elflein? 

Colby Gossett, Willie Beavers, and Danny Isidora are some recent examples of players they hoped to develop into starters. Not only didn't those plans pan out, but these guys mostly weren't even worth a roster spot for very long.

Going back a bit further in Spielmans reign of ineptitude along the offensive line: Jeff Baca, Travis Bond, David Yankey, Austin Shepherd, Tyrus Thompson, TJ Clemmings.

I don't know how many of these guys even played out their rookie contract in the league.

If the Vikings want to find starters, they need to start valuing offensive linemen better. Pick 22 is the first time during this draft for them to consider that.

Edited by Cearbhall