Vikings Pick at 22

goldfishwars

41 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

They might. I see our last game against SF and how they dominated us ( and the Packers the following week) with there front 4. That’s what I won’t as well. I would love to see a front 4 of YGM, Pierce, ( a trade up in round 2 for Madubuike, Blacklock, or Gallimore) and Hunter. Then rotate Odenigbo in on passing downs like he did this past year. Get after the QB with just our front 4 and always getting pressure on the QB. That’s what I want to see and I believe we could get players in this draft that could really help us.

Agreed. You win in this league by getting after the QB and hoping your QB is smart enough to avoid it.

Elite OL means nothing if your QB can’t differentiate a clean pocket from a messy one.

Edited by vikingsrule

I think it's hard to say regarding Epenesa on whether he's a better fit than YGM or not.  I'm not sure he's as explosive athletically as what they generally look for. I'm sure he'd be fine, since he's a powerful dude and has good length, but he doesn't quite have the quick twitch that they generally look for.  Mind you, this is all just based off what I read, so I'm not a tremendous expert by any means.

8 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Maybe separate the player, the position and draft position value

IMO, 

Raw Position Need:   LG/LT > WR > CB > DT > DE > S 

Premium Position Value with need: LG/LT > CB > DT > DE > WR > S

Ben Leber thinks the top 2 Vikings needs for drafting in the first round is 1) LG\LT and 2) CB

He likes either Tristan Wirfs or Austin Jackson at #22 and prefers Jeff Gladney at #25

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Ben Leber thinks the top 2 Vikings needs for drafting in the first round is 1) LG\LT and 2) CB

He likes either Tristan Wirfs or Austin Jackson at #22 and prefers Jeff Gladney at #25

Well then Ben Leber is insane.  Tristan Wirfs will not be there at #22, there is no way in hell that happens.  Would be freaking amazing but absolutely no way he is around at that pick.  Austin Jackson and Gladney I think would be just fine though.

3 hours ago, swede700 said:

I think it's hard to say regarding Epenesa on whether he's a better fit than YGM or not.  I'm not sure he's as explosive athletically as what they generally look for. I'm sure he'd be fine, since he's a powerful dude and has good length, but he doesn't quite have the quick twitch that they generally look for.  Mind you, this is all just based off what I read, so I'm not a tremendous expert by any means.

If YGM ran the 40 a lot of this debate could be over with, but for all we know he runs a similar 40 to AJ.  Either way I would be fine with one or the other.  Which one is better, hard to say.  Epenesa uses his hands better and is quicker off the ball, YGM has more upside and potential long term arguably.  

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

and is quicker off the ball

For me, this is all that matters, and I don’t believe it’s something that a player can improve upon. 

Epenesa isn’t your classic edge rusher in the sense of beating a tackle with speed around the edge. But he’s a guy that will give tackles fits with his quickness, power, and all around smart play. He’s a player that you can move around along the line, which is what the team likes to do with Griffen and Odenigbo. I believe Epenesa is more versatile than YGM, and we all know that Zimmer likes versatile defenders. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Agreed. You win in this league by getting after the QB and hoping your QB is smart enough to avoid it.

Elite OL means nothing if your QB can’t differentiate a clean pocket from a messy one.

I also agree with you and Vikes22.  Pass rush is king.  We have spent way too much draft capital on cornerbacks during the Zimmer era and our D-line has suffered because of it.  Back in the days of Doleman and Millard, we had the #1 defense in the league and our cornerbacks were below average or maybe average at best.  It didn't matter though, because opposing QB's were terrified of our pass rush. 

Mike Zimmer is supposed to be some kind of cornerback wizard.  If that is true, let him make some middle-round picks play better at the position.  Build an elite defensive line and that will help our defense the most.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

For me, this is all that matters, and I don’t believe it’s something that a player can improve upon. 

Epenesa isn’t your classic edge rusher in the sense of beating a tackle with speed around the edge. But he’s a guy that will give tackles fits with his quickness, power, and all around smart play. He’s a player that you can move around along the line, which is what the team likes to do with Griffen and Odenigbo. I believe Epenesa is more versatile than YGM, and we all know that Zimmer likes versatile defenders. 

But he's not a #forceplayer!!!!

24 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I also agree with you and Vikes22.  Pass rush is king.  We have spent way too much draft capital on cornerbacks during the Zimmer era and our D-line has suffered because of it.  Back in the days of Doleman and Millard, we had the #1 defense in the league and our cornerbacks were below average or maybe average at best.  It didn't matter though, because opposing QB's were terrified of our pass rush. 

Mike Zimmer is supposed to be some kind of cornerback wizard.  If that is true, let him make some middle-round picks play better at the position.  Build an elite defensive line and that will help our defense the most.

I agree. Pass rush is king. The team needs to build a defensive line that can wreck offenses and an offensive line that can prevent opposing defenses from wracking their offense. Where my opinion diverges a small amount it that from my perspective the draft capital that has went to the cornerbacks has resulted more in the O-line suffering because of it than the D-line. The D-Line has been solid for the most part. The O-line has struggled for the most part.

Sure, a penetrating DT could have improved the D-line somewhat, but it has been one of the top  D lines in the league for much of the time without that.  Meanwhile, the you have to look all the way back to 2010 to find a Vikings offensive line that wasn't starting Pat Elflein, TJ Clemmings, or Charlie Johnson for most of the games at one position or another along the line. And some of those years those guys weren't even the worst on the line.