Looking at WR Fits in the 2020 NFL Draft/Jonathan Wood

soulman

39 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Jefferson was a good player at UF but he reminds me of a faster Riley Ridley coming out.

That's why I reckon we could take him...we were clearly high on Ridley last year...why not take an even faster version now?

We went through something very similar with RBs last year so I thought it would be right and proper to review who among the WRs may be a top target of the Bears now that we're convinced Pace will look to draft one.

I'm not well enough versed in all of them to really offer much but one guy does stand out for me.

There has been talk about Pace looking to possibly trade Tarik Cohen before having to face the possibility of extending him which I believe is probably less than a 50% likelihood.  Unless he becomes far more productive on offense it's tough to see him getting more than the $2 mil he's getting in 2020 and if not extended I believe he'll become a UFA and sign elsewhere for more money.

The one WR who appears to be an ideal replacement for Cohen as a playmaker is Jalen Reagor.  I don't see him being purely a deep threat but rather a guy who can help and offense and hurt a defense in several ways both as a receiver and a gadget player.  He has the game speed to be a deep threat and the play making ability to turn short passes into long gains and TDs.

He's been compared favorably to Carolina's Curtis Samuel and I also think Randall Cobb may also be a good comparative.

We have about 20 all around possession receivers.   We need a guy who can take top off a defense.

We keep bringing in guys who run blazing times and then they don't even make the team.   So it isn't just about speed, but a speed guy people respect is who we need.

If Kevin White was coming out this year we probably be clamoring for him, lol.

Edited by dll2000
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

I'm VERY opposed getting Hamler...

No tangible metrics for his speed because he sat out the combine, he looked concussed after taking hits in college via his tiny size and he body catches.  I'd add that his speed isn't there on tape... If he was a deep burner, he wouldn't be getting repeatedly caught on otherwise breakaway plays. He's winning via acceleration, NOT top speed.. and I'm not remotely interested in a dude that small unless he's actually got above and beyond elite level speed.

Reagor I'm also lower on than most...... hearing he had the fastest speed on field helps squash those concerns, however, and explains how, even with a poor 40, he was hitting break away plays into points more effectively.  I'm not sure he's going to actually be there, when we draft however.... and he has drop concerns like the guy I actually want.

Mims is the guy I'd want, and actually be wiling to move up for.... but I also can't see any scenario where we lose even more draft capital moving up in the draft. Like Reagor he has some drop concerns, but this kid absolutely crushed the senior bowl and I wouldn't be at all surprised if he ends up the best WR out of this class. Elite size, speed, agility, body control, and potential. Put him with Robinson for a few years to learn NFL route running tricks and this kid could end up being a top 5 NFL talent.

My dream draft would be getting Mims in mid 1, then trading back into the draft for Claypool as a "move TE", and Antonio Gibson as a RB 2/3.....  That'd be 3 people over 6ft tall, all of whom are sub 4.4 (or in Claypool's case just above but at TE size)..... The downside is I can't figure out how to move up for Mims without spending both of our 2nds, and I think we NEED at least one OL out of those two picks.

Your write up on Hamler is simply 100% false, but if you want to think that way, go for it. Just know it's false.

But let's say it was true. You know who else won via acceleration? Randy Moss.

43 minutes ago, soulman said:

We went through something very similar with RBs last year so I thought it would be right and proper to review who among the WRs may be a top target of the Bears now that we're convinced Pace will look to draft one.

I'm not well enough versed in all of them to really offer much but one guy does stand out for me.

There has been talk about Pace looking to possibly trade Tarik Cohen before having to face the possibility of extending him which I believe is probably less than a 50% likelihood.  Unless he becomes far more productive on offense it's tough to see him getting more than the $2 mil he's getting in 2020 and if not extended I believe he'll become a UFA and sign elsewhere for more money.

The one WR who appears to be an ideal replacement for Cohen as a playmaker is Jalen Reagor.  I don't see him being purely a deep threat but rather a guy who can help and offense and hurt a defense in several ways both as a receiver and a gadget player.  He has the game speed to be a deep threat and the play making ability to turn short passes into long gains and TDs.

He's been compared favorably to Carolina's Curtis Samuel and I also think Randall Cobb may also be a good comparative.

Samuel isn't any good, so I hope Raegor is nothing like him (unless Green Bay takes him :) ). Cobb is an interesting comparison. 

Speaking of Cobb, Lynn Bowden reminds me a lot of Cobb and can be had in round 4 most likely.

3 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Your write up on Hamler is simply 100% false, but if you want to think that way, go for it. Just know it's false.

But let's say it was true. You know who else won via acceleration? Randy Moss.

Randy moss wasn't the size of a high school kid. This is the NFL not little league. Hamler isn't big enough, and he's not proven to be fast enough to justify taking someone that tiny.

32 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

We keep bringing in guys who run blazing times and then they don't even make the team.   So it isn't just about speed, but a speed guy people respect is who we need.

Amen.  I'm in favor of drafting football players not track stars.

11 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

My dream draft would be getting Mims in mid 1, then trading back into the draft for Claypool as a "move TE", and Antonio Gibson as a RB 2/3.....  That'd be 3 people over 6ft tall, all of whom are sub 4.4 (or in Claypool's case just above but at TE size)..... The downside is I can't figure out how to move up for Mims without spending both of our 2nds, and I think we NEED at least one OL out of those two picks.

To dream, the impossible dream.  To fight the unbeatable foe.   LOL    Keep dreaming breaux. ;)

One thing worth noting about Raegor that's worth considering...  His combine 40 was disappointing (as was his 3 cone), but he also came in ~10-15lbs heavier than his playing weight (via reports)... Despite that alleged gain in mass, he STILL had elite level explosion numbers jumping. 

He might be able to play with his weight a bit more at the NFL level to balance out speed and potential durability/mass by coming back down a few lbs.

17 minutes ago, Epyon said:

Randy moss wasn't the size of a high school kid. This is the NFL not little league. Hamler isn't big enough, and he's not proven to be fast enough to justify taking someone that tiny.

You didn't talk about his size until your last sentence. You commented on his speed being acceleration, not top end. Hamler isn't big enough. Right. The NFL past and present is filled with small guys who are/were really good, but again, go with whatever makes you feel good.

12 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Samuel isn't any good, so I hope Raegor is nothing like him (unless Green Bay takes him :) ). Cobb is an interesting comparison. 

Speaking of Cobb, Lynn Bowden reminds me a lot of Cobb and can be had in round 4 most likely.

Without going into greater detail you're calling this no good?  Avg of 500+ yds per season receiving,  11 tds,  and additional 200 yds rushing and 3 more TDs over the same two seasons.  And this as a part time starter?  I'll take it especially if Reagor could rack up 700 yds total offense and 7 tds for us in 2020.  Seems to me your opinion of Samuels is overly harsh.

Curtis Samuel

NFL wide receiver
                                 Yds
Y/G
TD
Current Season     627
Season 2018         494
Season 2017         115

Just now, soulman said:

Without going into greater detail you're calling this no good?  Avg of 500+ yds per season receiving,  11 tds,  and additional 200 yds rushing and 3 more TDs over the same two seasons.  And this as a part time starter?  I'll take it especially if Reagor could rack up 700 yds total offense and 7 tds for us in 2020.  Seems to me your opinion of Samuels is overly harsh.

Curtis Samuel

NFL wide receiver
                                 Yds
Y/G
TD
Current Season     627
Season 2018         494
Season 2017         115

Yeah, it'd be great if Raegor could come in and have 700 yards in his first year... except Samuel has never done that despite being in the league for 3 years. Sure the touchdowns are decent but TD's can sometimes be a product of opportunity, not necessarily something the player is doing.

Averaging 500 yards a season in today's NFL sucks. That's nothing. Even last year, Samuel was 52nd in the NFL in yards. Big deal. I guess we should expect that from a 2nd rounder in Raegor and not to be an All Pro, but I'd certainly hope Raegor would be a better WR than that.

14 minutes ago, G08 said:

Jalen Reagor hit 22.6 MPH last season... KJ Hamler hit 21.76 MPH in 2018.

Tyreek Hill's three fastest recorded times: 21.95, 21.78, 21.64

Wow. That is flying.I believe either one would be a huge plus in opening up the field. Willie Gault never had great numbers but was able to get double teamed alot and open up the field. At the very least the safety would favor his side on most plays.

Edited by RTD