Steelers GM Pushing for 10 Rd Draft

soflbillsfan

Won’t happen and shouldn’t happen. The odds of 9th-10th rounders making the team isn’t good. 

Plus this had nothing to do with coronavirus or scouting limitations. UDFA’s don’t like going to Pittsburgh and that GM knows it. They are the most famous franchise for being cheap when it comes to someones contract after their rookie contract. Don’t wanna take a discount? Eat a tag for two years! Then you’re 30 and no one wants to pay you much anyways! Steelers are run like McDonalds. Ruthless. I wouldn’t wanna go there either.  

Just now, Thelonebillsfan said:

UDFA signings this year are going to be incredibly difficult, I think it's a good idea.

Yes but how does it impact the salary cap and what is the amount to give for those rounds? That is going to be the difficult thing to come up with, will round 8 be the same price as round 10 and will they have guarantees like the other picks or will it be just a structure UDFA where you pay a set price no matter what round or pick you have for them? I think its a great idea but may be to late to implement this since the draft is a couple weeks away.

7 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

UDFA signings this year are going to be incredibly difficult, I think it's a good idea.

UDFA signings are always difficult because teams have to compete with each other for them.  I don't think this situation has any more impact than normal.  It's a pointless exercise to expand the draft even for 1 year.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

UDFA signings are always difficult because teams have to compete with each other for them.  I don't think this situation has any more impact than normal.  It's a pointless exercise to expand the draft even for 1 year.  

Yeah I don't get how this specific situation is more difficult. Most guys get called up and signed within a couple hours of the draft closing. How is it any harder to make a phone call now than before?

30 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Yeah I don't get how this specific situation is more difficult. Most guys get called up and signed within a couple hours of the draft closing. How is it any harder to make a phone call now than before?

fair question.
And the UDFAs get to choose their team instead of the other way around.
If I were an UDFA, I'd rather pick than be picked in the 9th round, but the cash is better for draftees

26 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

I mean, I would watch it 

Pretty much this. 

As far as my concern with this topic, this is where it starts and end.

Is it a good idea? I dunno. Do I care if it's a good or bad idea? Not really. Does it unfairly benefit someone specific or a specific team? I dunno. Do I care? Not really. 

Will I watch and follow if they made it 10 rounds? Yup. 

Will I have anything better to do than to watch an additional 3 rounds of fringe NFL prospects get drafted? Probably not. 

• Like 4

The point this GM is trying to make is they weren't able to get the full picture on players that are coming from smaller schools or players who were on the fringe of being a day 3 pick. So rather then trying to go out and waive the $50-75k that an UDFA gets for signing with a team they can have a chance to draft them.  I think it is more of a practical solution considering the time they spend on a player during the pro day, private work outs, and visits during normal draft years. By having a few extra rounds they can take the risk on getting some guys they would fight for via UDFA. Whether the Steelers GM is cheap or not they would still have to pay these guys by drafting them it just is difficult to make this change a couple weeks before the draft and figure out a pay scale for these extra picks? I think college players would prefer this as they would likely get a 3 year deal rather then being a 1 year UDFA and if they work out to be better then expected they cant get tagged with the ERFA over the next 3 years and they have an actual opportunity to hold out for more money. For example the Bills have a guy who was an UDFA named Levi Wallace, he has been tagged with the ERFA the last 2 years and has performed as a solid #2 Corner for the team. He is making close to the vet min, if he were on a contract he could possibly be making more or at least hold out for a new contract in which he losses that right with the ERFA as he has to fulfill his 3 year stent under this tag.

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Won’t happen and shouldn’t happen. The odds of 9th-10th rounders making the team isn’t good. 

Plus this had nothing to do with coronavirus or scouting limitations. UDFA’s don’t like going to Pittsburgh and that GM knows it. They are the most famous franchise for being cheap when it comes to someones contract after their rookie contract. Don’t wanna take a discount? Eat a tag for two years! Then you’re 30 and no one wants to pay you much anyways! Steelers are run like McDonalds. Ruthless. I wouldn’t wanna go there either.  

You know teams routinely sign 12-15 UDFAs every year and maybe 1 or at the most 2 will actually make the team? 

No UDFA is thinking about a second contract. They’re just figuring out the best spot to have a shot at making the team.

Horrible idea.  Let these kids pick there own teams.  How does this serve the players, it doesn't its helps the teams. What happens after the additional 3 rounds. UDFA signings!!!!!

How many times have you heard that players not picked in the (7RD)  draft have a better chance making a team.