Steelers GM Pushing for 10 Rd Draft

soflbillsfan

3 hours ago, Forge said:

Will I have anything better to do than to watch an additional 3 rounds of fringe NFL prospects get drafted? Probably not. 

You could do what I'm doing: replay Resident Evil 4

• Like 2

I remember 17 rounds and 12 rounds. The cut to 7 was too much, IMO. I think it should be restored annually to at least 8. Actually I think I remember 8 for one year before the drop to 7.

There are several more teams in the league nowadays compared to when it was cut to 7. There are also larger rosters. Supplemental picks should be just that, not a rationalization that we actually have an extra round already.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Won’t happen and shouldn’t happen. The odds of 9th-10th rounders making the team isn’t good. 

Plus this had nothing to do with coronavirus or scouting limitations. UDFA’s don’t like going to Pittsburgh and that GM knows it. They are the most famous franchise for being cheap when it comes to someones contract after their rookie contract. Don’t wanna take a discount? Eat a tag for two years! Then you’re 30 and no one wants to pay you much anyways! Steelers are run like McDonalds. Ruthless. I wouldn’t wanna go there either.  

Complete nonsense and obvious blind hatred, but okay.   

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Complete nonsense and obvious blind hatred, but okay.   

Have zero hate for the Steelers. Like 0%. But ok. Don’t believe, watch JuJu get tagged twice. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30351/steelers-approach-to-player-contracts-hardly-a-guarantee

Steelers are the most stingy with guaranteed money in the NFL. By a wide margin. This gets displayed all the time. Guaranteed money is not how they operate. 

No one wants to go there without any guarantees. 

Edited by BayRaider

8 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Have zero hate for the Steelers. Like 0%. But ok. Steelers don’t like paying market value for non-rookie contracts. Don’t believe, watch JuJu get tagged twice. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers/post/_/id/30351/steelers-approach-to-player-contracts-hardly-a-guarantee%3fplatform=amp

Steelers are the most stingy with guaranteed money in the NFL. By a wide margin. 

Steelers have retained and paid their own as much and as well as any team in the league.    You foolishly claim UDFAs dont sign with the Steelers because of this.  Steelers sign about 10 to 12 UDFAs yearly.  A team like the Browns normally sign about 20.  You think players want to go there more than Pittsburgh when a)  there is less chance of winning and b)  the chance of being their long term is slimmer?  They go there because weaker teams need more help and its less competitive.   Steelers sign UDFAs based on needs.    Just because they dont bring in 20 every year means nothing.

The Steelers have only ONCE tagged a player twice, and that was Bell...a player who got in trouble several times and couldnt stay healthy into the playoffs, but felt like he somehow deserved a huge amount of guaranteed money.  And how did it work out after he got his big contract?  Seems to me he proved exactly why we didnt want to give him crazy money (and why RBs in general are too risky for that kind of money).  

If players hate playing for us, its amazing we are able to keep our key players around for almost their entire careers.  Its amazing that we take care of our own players as well as any team in the league.   But I guess you will just ignore that.

Its funny that the article you posted claimed AB jetted for contract issues, which is complete horse****, and you know it.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Steelers have retained and paid their own as much and as well as any team in the league.    You foolishly claim UDFAs dont sign with the Steelers because of this.  Steelers sign about 10 to 12 UDFAs yearly.  A team like the Browns normally sign about 20.  You think players want to go there more than Pittsburgh when a)  there is less chance of winning and b)  the chance of being their long term is slimmer?  They go there because weaker teams need more help and its less competitive.   Steelers sign UDFAs based on needs.    Just because they dont bring in 20 every year means nothing.

The Steelers have only ONCE tagged a player twice, and that was Bell...a player who got in trouble several times and couldnt stay healthy into the playoffs, but felt like he somehow deserved a huge amount of guaranteed money.  And how did it work out after he got his big contract?  Seems to me he proved exactly why we didnt want to give him crazy money (and why RBs in general are too risky for that kind of money).  

If players hate playing for us, its amazing we are able to keep our key players around for almost their entire careers.  Its amazing that we take care of our own players as well as any team in the league.   But I guess you will just ignore that.

Its funny that the article you posted claimed AB jetted for contract issues, which is complete horse****, and you know it.

Steelers don’t pay guaranteed money outside of Year 1. It’s why no FA goes there. Why are you getting defensive....? This is the complete truth. 

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2018/3/16/17127312/the-steelers-way-of-doing-business-is-costing-them-free-agents-kevin-colbert-leveon-bell-nfl-news

The Steelers are the only team in the NFL that does this. 

21 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Steelers don’t pay guaranteed money outside of Year 1. It’s why no FA goes there. Why are you getting defensive....? This is the complete truth. 

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-opinions-reactions-news-updates/2018/3/16/17127312/the-steelers-way-of-doing-business-is-costing-them-free-agents-kevin-colbert-leveon-bell-nfl-news

The Steelers are the only team in the NFL that does this. 

You keep posting these articles that prove next to nothing, while simultaneously ignoring valid points that hurt your argument.  The first article was full of flawed logic and largely based on the Lev Bell incident, and BehindtheSteelCurtain is a site full of hacks writing terrible pieces.

We are never that active in free agency....not because players dont want to come here, but because we are CONSISTENTLY near the bottom of the league in cap space because, why?...wait for it.....THE STEELERS PAY THEIR OWN PLAYERS FIRST.  

Its hard to offer huge contracts to free agents when the money isnt there.  Beyond that, the Steelers dont get into bidding wars and overpay for FAs.  Would we be better off offering ridiculous contracts to FAs every year? 

So, once again, please answer these two questions..

1)  If players hate playing for the Steelers due to supposedly bad contracts, why are we consistently able to retain our key players?   Yes, we lose one from time to time, but so does every other team.

2)  What is your proof that UDFAs dont want to sign with the Steelers beyond largely baseless speculation because we dont sign a bunch more?

Edited by FourThreeMafia
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

You keep posting these articles that prove next to nothing, while simultaneously ignoring valid points that hurt your argument.  The first article was full of flawed logic and largely based on the Lev Bell incident, and BehindtheSteelCurtain is a site full of hacks writing terrible pieces.

We are never that active in free agency....not because players dont want to come here, but because we are CONSISTENTLY near the bottom of the league in cap space because, why?...wait for it.....THE STEELERS PAY THEIR OWN PLAYERS FIRST.  

Its hard to offer huge contracts to free agents when the money isnt there.  Beyond that, the Steelers dont get into bidding wars and overpay for FAs.  Would we be better off offering ridiculous contracts to FAs every year? 

So, once again, please answer these two questions..

1)  If players hate playing for the Steelers due to supposedly bad contracts, why are we consistently able to retain our key players?   Yes, we lose one from time to time, but so does every other team.

2)  What is your proof that UDFAs dont want to sign with the Steelers beyond largely baseless speculation because we dont sign a bunch more?

You’ve ignored my point twice now. 

Are the Steelers the most stingy team, by a landslide, with guaranteed money, or not? They don’t believe in guaranteed money past year one, is that correct or not?

That’s why people don’t wanna go there. 

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You’ve ignored my point twice now. 

Are the Steelers the most stingy team, by a landslide, with guaranteed money, or not? They don’t believe in guaranteed money past year one, is that correct or not?

Hmm.. are you looking at the guaranteed in the contracts on the roster? Or just blindly going off the bell situation and what those two homers have to say? You also have to include browns dead money and Various other players obviously. Steelers aren’t going to pay average players superstar money, below average player average money(well sometimes), ect. As a fan, I am all for the players getting their money. However, it’s a business. That’s the business the Steelers roll with no negotiations. 

Edited by Displayname

14 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

He wants more picks in a year when they don't have a first rounder, only one pick in the top 100, and only 6 overall?!

You don't say :P

I see you sneakin' Colbert.

Exactly. I cant really get anything done the first 3rds so here's an idea NFL, let's extend it 3 more! You good, I'm good?👍

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

....then why do they keep going there or, more accurately, stay?

8 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Are the Steelers the most stingy team, by a landslide, with guaranteed money, or not?

Maybe, but what does it matter? The biggest part that you are missing is that they actually pay out their homegrown players contracts. As of last year, since 2002 they have paid out 88% of their homegrown talents second contracts. So yes, they may lack on guarantees, but you are likely to actually see your money with the Steelers. Its the piece of the puzzle no one cares about but is just as important, if not more so. 

But the Steelers signed $774,826,457 worth of second contracts in that time frame, paid out $682,288,369, and only guaranteed $196,481,000 of that money. The guys that they cut? People like Cortez Allen who severely unperformed after their extension (and who they actually asked to take a pay cut because, well, the Steelers like to keep their players). If this is such a big problem there should be an easily attained list of the many people the Steelers have screwed right?

As @FourThreeMafia mentioned, due to us paying homegrown talent, keeping them, and restructuring them to move up cash -- we rarely have money to dip into free agency. So to say we do not pay guarantees as being a reason people don't want to come here is an incomplete argument. 

Also, gonna break some news here....players have a say in whether to sign with a team or not....I enjoyed Joe Haden during his last extension when the Steelers broke their norm by giving him half his cash as a up front as a signing bonus and he said "They've got to get a better agent" when asked about people taking issues with the Steelers contract structures.....maybe players should blame themselves? Or maybe the vast majority of them actually want to be in Pittsburgh and realize the history says they take care of their own? No, must be the guarantees. 

@BayRaider I don't understand this logic about the Steelers being stingy at all. If you look at cap space, I would imagine there aren't many teams as close to the cap as the Steelers on a consistent basis. THAT is why they don't bring in many FA. They can't because they already paid their own.

• Like 1