Tua at 5

Phinsesq

Not saying he should or should not be the pick but rather with no team, to my knowledge, being able to conduct their own medical evaluations do we see anyone realistically trading up to take a chance on him? I keep reading mock drafts (we know what those are worth) that have Miami or someone trading to 3 in order to take him but this lack of medical evaluation by team physicians keeps jumping out at me, am I missing something? 

7 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

Not saying he should or should not be the pick but rather with no team, to my knowledge, being able to conduct their own medical evaluations do we see anyone realistically trading up to take a chance on him? I keep reading mock drafts (we know what those are worth) that have Miami or someone trading to 3 in order to take him but this lack of medical evaluation by team physicians keeps jumping out at me, am I missing something? 

I tend to agree with you.  That's an awfully big gamble to make without an in-person medical exam.  Yes, all the medicals will be available from Tua's doctor, but it's not quite the same.  I'm not against trading up to 3 for Tua, but it better not take one of the other 1st rounders to do it.

I don't think it's unrealistic that a team could trade up to the 3rd or 4th pick for Tua, but I think there's a 65% chance that he's still available when we select at 5.  If he is available then yes I would make the gamble and draft him.  I think we should sit tight at 5, but unlike many others in this forum I'm OK with Herbert at 5.  I think with a season on the bench Herbert could be Carson Wentz 2.0 in 2021-22.  

• Like 1

I will be incredibly disappointed if Herbert is the guy we end up with. Seems like we are settling for him because of Tua's medical uncertainty instead of conviction for him. I strongly disagree with that kind of approach. If Grier takes a chance on Tua and it doesn't end up working out, I think most fans and talking heads would be understanding. If he goes with Herbert and he busts while Tua ends up a special player, he can kiss his job goodbye. 

Honestly, the fact that Tannenbaum likes Herbert more than Tua should say enough. 

Edited by Emerica

On 4/8/2020 at 8:17 AM, Swampbilly said:

I don't think it's unrealistic that a team could trade up to the 3rd or 4th pick for Tua, but I think there's a 65% chance that he's still available when we select at 5.  If he is available then yes I would make the gamble and draft him.  I think we should sit tight at 5, but unlike many others in this forum I'm OK with Herbert at 5.  I think with a season on the bench Herbert could be Carson Wentz 2.0 in 2021-22.  

I am with you on this, stay at 5. I have gone back and forth on Tua vs Herbert so many times. I just take solace in the fact that my job does not hinge upon them getting this call right. If they go with either of them I suspect we won't truly know until year 3 or 4 whether the right call was made.   

• Like 2

I've started to steel myself to the possibility that the Fins take Herbert, even with Tua on the board.  That is too much of a Dolphins move for it not to happen.  They keep doing that kind of thing, which is why they have not been reliably relevant in decades.

7 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

Tank another year and clean up next year. 

That ship has sailed.  The FA improvements to the defense alone make this team considerably better than the 2019 squad.  They could very easily get a top 10 pick again, but they wouldn't be in the running for Lawrence or Fields.

agreed, if they didn't "tank" last year don't look for it to happen this year. Regardless of the talent level Coach Flores has these guys playing to win. Which I think is a good thing you aren't going to build a culture of winning otherwise. 

11 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

That ship has sailed.  The FA improvements to the defense alone make this team considerably better than the 2019 squad.  They could very easily get a top 10 pick again, but they wouldn't be in the running for Lawrence or Fields.

Hey don't give up so easily. Have some faith. You are the Dolphins. I firmly believe you guys have it in you win less than 2 games this year. 

8 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

Hey don't give up so easily. Have some faith. You are the Dolphins. I firmly believe you guys have it in you win less than 2 games this year. 

You  must not have followed the Dolphins much.  They are the kings of being in perpetual draft purgatory.  They will win 5-7 games every year to avoid getting a premium pick.  

• Like 1