Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Phinsesq

Tua at 5

Recommended Posts

Not saying he should or should not be the pick but rather with no team, to my knowledge, being able to conduct their own medical evaluations do we see anyone realistically trading up to take a chance on him? I keep reading mock drafts (we know what those are worth) that have Miami or someone trading to 3 in order to take him but this lack of medical evaluation by team physicians keeps jumping out at me, am I missing something? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Phinsesq said:

Not saying he should or should not be the pick but rather with no team, to my knowledge, being able to conduct their own medical evaluations do we see anyone realistically trading up to take a chance on him? I keep reading mock drafts (we know what those are worth) that have Miami or someone trading to 3 in order to take him but this lack of medical evaluation by team physicians keeps jumping out at me, am I missing something? 

I tend to agree with you.  That's an awfully big gamble to make without an in-person medical exam.  Yes, all the medicals will be available from Tua's doctor, but it's not quite the same.  I'm not against trading up to 3 for Tua, but it better not take one of the other 1st rounders to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's unrealistic that a team could trade up to the 3rd or 4th pick for Tua, but I think there's a 65% chance that he's still available when we select at 5.  If he is available then yes I would make the gamble and draft him.  I think we should sit tight at 5, but unlike many others in this forum I'm OK with Herbert at 5.  I think with a season on the bench Herbert could be Carson Wentz 2.0 in 2021-22.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't be upset with Herbert @ 5, just unenthusiastic. I'd be very cool with a trade down a few spots for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Palm Beach Post: "Former GM Lombardi says Tua failed two physicals"

Smokescreen? Truth? Hay, some stud O-lineman are needed anyway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I will be incredibly disappointed if Herbert is the guy we end up with. Seems like we are settling for him because of Tua's medical uncertainty instead of conviction for him. I strongly disagree with that kind of approach. If Grier takes a chance on Tua and it doesn't end up working out, I think most fans and talking heads would be understanding. If he goes with Herbert and he busts while Tua ends up a special player, he can kiss his job goodbye. 

 

Honestly, the fact that Tannenbaum likes Herbert more than Tua should say enough. 

Edited by Emerica

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just do not want to trade away picks for anybody in this draft. Take best available at 5. The 18th pick is sort of no mans land so if we could trade back the number 5 and swap the 18th to some how end up with a 8 and 12 first round pick would work for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2020 at 8:17 AM, Swampbilly said:

I don't think it's unrealistic that a team could trade up to the 3rd or 4th pick for Tua, but I think there's a 65% chance that he's still available when we select at 5.  If he is available then yes I would make the gamble and draft him.  I think we should sit tight at 5, but unlike many others in this forum I'm OK with Herbert at 5.  I think with a season on the bench Herbert could be Carson Wentz 2.0 in 2021-22.  

I am with you on this, stay at 5. I have gone back and forth on Tua vs Herbert so many times. I just take solace in the fact that my job does not hinge upon them getting this call right. If they go with either of them I suspect we won't truly know until year 3 or 4 whether the right call was made.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've started to steel myself to the possibility that the Fins take Herbert, even with Tua on the board.  That is too much of a Dolphins move for it not to happen.  They keep doing that kind of thing, which is why they have not been reliably relevant in decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

Tank another year and clean up next year. 

That ship has sailed.  The FA improvements to the defense alone make this team considerably better than the 2019 squad.  They could very easily get a top 10 pick again, but they wouldn't be in the running for Lawrence or Fields.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

agreed, if they didn't "tank" last year don't look for it to happen this year. Regardless of the talent level Coach Flores has these guys playing to win. Which I think is a good thing you aren't going to build a culture of winning otherwise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we don't get our QB this year, or if we do but he's 1 year away from good NFL football, and something happened to Fitzmagic, a Top 3 pick may be in our future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

That ship has sailed.  The FA improvements to the defense alone make this team considerably better than the 2019 squad.  They could very easily get a top 10 pick again, but they wouldn't be in the running for Lawrence or Fields.

 

Hey don't give up so easily. Have some faith. You are the Dolphins. I firmly believe you guys have it in you win less than 2 games this year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sledgehammer said:

 

Hey don't give up so easily. Have some faith. You are the Dolphins. I firmly believe you guys have it in you win less than 2 games this year. 

You  must not have followed the Dolphins much.  They are the kings of being in perpetual draft purgatory.  They will win 5-7 games every year to avoid getting a premium pick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×