Relinquish Talent Defensively to Acquire Talent Offensively?

showtime

I was watching television and saw a statistic that said the Seahawks have the #1 most expensive defense in the NFL, but are 26th in the league when it comes to spending money on the offensive side of the football.  If you look at that statistic, it kind of makes sense the team is how it is right now.  The Seahawks have arguably the most talented defense in the league and one of the worst offenses in the league - the spending reflects all of that.  To be fair, the Seahawks have spent several first round picks on offensive linemen during the Pete Carroll era, but that is obviously not working out.  So I ask everyone, at some point (probably during the off-season) if this team struggles this year does the team have to start seriously thinking about letting some of this defensive talent go so they can acquire more offensive talent (offensive linemen in particular)?  They went out and traded for Sheldon Richardson and signed Kam Chancellor to a big extension, but were those moves really necessary?  I am not saying either move was bad, but just bringing it up for discussion purposes.

Attached below is an interesting graphic that helps to illustrate the point.

jioys0.jpg

So what does everyone here think about this?  Would you guys be okay with trading/releasing some of the teams defensive talent to help bolster up the offense?  If so, which players do you think should be un-tradeable?  Which offensive players could we possibly target via free agency or trades? 

@Zman724 @imani @Meeker @SoS @Tatupu_64 @animaltested @brazilianguy @Ospy @riceman80 @RandomCampBody @NFL_Announcer @Seachickens 

Imo, never give up a proven commodity in your team's system for an unknown commodity.

To me it's all about the trenches. O-line is most important on offense cuz if you don't have one, doesn't matter who you have at your skill positions. Same with defense. If you don't have a good d-line, doesn't matter how good your back 7 is. Time is the greatest enemy for a secondary and penetration is the biggest enemy of an offense.

The Raiders had an atrocious o-line till McKenzie came in. He threw gobs of money at Donald Penn, Rodney Hudson, and Kelechi Osemele to make our line and it worked beautifully. He built everything else through the draft and bargain buys (Crabtree). You cant build a contender around skill players, which is something the Hawks are seeing now. Wilson is special, Baldwin, Lockett, and Graham are all studs but due to that O-line, both facets struggle immensely.

But imo, I wouldn't give up anyone on that defense. That defense is top tier and one of the few in the league that can take over games and win them. I personally would trade Jimmy Graham if they wanted O-line help. There's enough talent at WR(at least imo) to offset his loss in the passing game. He's a impact player who would likely net an impact player in return and he's a free agent after the this year anyway.

My untouchables would be any defensive players seeing 40% or more of the snaps, Wilson, Baldwin, Lockett, Richardson, Carson, and Britt. Only defender I might trade is Lane but that depends how well Shead is progressing...

No, Seattles Identity, and success starts and ends with their defense. Both Earl and Kam make that defense work. Bobby is vital, KJ is worth the money, Sheldon is making a huge difference in controlling the LOS. Spending more $ on the offensive line wont necessarily fix the issues. Last year the offense was fine (in the 2nd half) with essentially the same group of guys blocking. Does downgrading a position of or two on defense really improve Seattles Super Bowl aspirations?

Avril is a guy that will be moved eventually, same with Lane. if they can be replaced with rookie contracts that will save quite a bit of money to shift over the offensive side of the ball (Graham extension plus.... ?). Id rather replace Bevell + Cable before giving up an core defenders. 

5 hours ago, animaltested said:

Id rather replace Bevell + Cable before giving up an core defenders. 

Tbh, i cant believe Cable is still around. He was a terrible coach in Oakland. I'm yet to see anything he's done well as a coach except when he has an ultra athletic QB to make him look better than his terrible system reveals him to be...

Speaking of Tom Cable.  How fair is it to blame him when he is given scraps on the offensive line?  I'm not debating what he has done in the past, but obviously the Seahawks lack talent along the offensive line and they do not invest money at the position.  Lets say we had the ideal offensive line coach that we could hand pick - Do you honestly think they can turn this line around?

31 minutes ago, showtime said:

Speaking of Tom Cable.  How fair is it to blame him when he is given scraps on the offensive line?  I'm not debating what he has done in the past, but obviously the Seahawks lack talent along the offensive line and they do not invest money at the position.  Lets say we had the ideal offensive line coach that we could hand pick - Do you honestly think they can turn this line around?

Not necessarily turn it around, but drastically improve it I bet. Cable really isn't a good coach. The only successful running game he coached was in 2006 with the Falcons when they had 4 vets and Tyson Clabo as a rookie with Vick, Dunn, and Norwood in the backfield.

The defense has been the backbone of this team for so long, but this is not working.  It does not matter how talented the defense is when they are constantly on the field and exhausted.  The offense seemed to be rolling for a possession or two, but it was much of the same lackluster performance everyone here is used to.  The Titans have scored 30 points through three quarters, so even though the defense is exhausted, they're still giving up too many big plays.  Something needs to be done.

Cable has done nothing since his arrival. He came into a semi talented O-Line with Okung/Unger/Giac and told the coaches he could figure out how to work with the line without any talent on it. He's so far been a huge failure.

I'm also done with Bevell. The up tempo offense is proving to work yet Seattle keeps going full derp mode at the start of every game. 

Well, first we gotta consider that the Seahawsk want to spend in the OL. They made Britt the 2nd highest paid center in the league and offered a 3y/9m APY to a 30 year-old TJ Lang this offseason.

Second, not too many good offensive linemen are growing here in Seattle to get paid after the rookie deal. And it's not like it's lack of draft capital spent on the OL. I doubt there are five teams spending more via Draft than the Seahawks, honestly.

I think it's more of a coaching issue than anything.

Question is: would I trade Jimmy Graham, Jeremy Lane and Eddie Lacy for two quality offensive linemen? Answer: Yes.

Archived