Will Brees stay without Payton?

BossierWhoDat

Will Brees stay without Payton?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. If this season continues to go as it has and Payton leaves, will Brees stays with the Saints?

• Yes! Don't be silly, Brees is one with New Orleans! Plenty of gas left in the tank.
    • Yes. He retires as a Saint and we have another reason to party!
    • No. He wants one more ring and signs with a Superbowl-ready team.
    • No! He and Payton are joined at the hip; he follows Payton.

The thing with Brees is what is he playing for? He has young kids that are getting older, by all accounts he is a terrfic family man. He's made millions, so is he playing for records? Or is he playing for rings? 

I believe hes playing for his legacy... I think he leaves New Orleans next year for a contender and if it dont work out in the first 2 years he retires.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think he wants both. Players are lying if they tell you they don't care about records.  Look at 2013 Peyton breaking Brees' yardage record by one yard.  You can't tell me Peyton didn't recognize his chance to hold both yardage and TD records that year, no matter what he says to the press.  I'm sure Brees is eyeing those all time records, and he of course would want another super bowl.

I think the question is whether or not he wants to leave New Orleans.  How tied down is he to this city?  Is he looking for an excuse to make a graceful exit, or does he really want to stay here regardless of how bad the team is? He can get records here, but his chances of getting another ring are slim to none.  Does he want another ring so bad he would leave the city, even if he wants to stay?  Does he even want to stay?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, whodatworm23 said:

The thing with Brees is what is he playing for? He has young kids that are getting older, by all accounts he is a terrfic family man. He's made millions, so is he playing for records? Or is he playing for rings? 

I believe hes playing for his legacy... I think he leaves New Orleans next year for a contender and if it dont work out in the first 2 years he retires.

Who needs him? Or should I say, who needs him that isn't in a similar situation?

Saints have a really good offense, still, and he's familiar with the players. The defense is a perennial laughing case.

I assume Brees will want to play indoors, but that's just an assumption. 

Dolphins - On their way up but the QB position is a huge question mark. Anyone would take Brees over Cutler, although Turf (Brees) over Grass (Cutler)???
Bills - Too cold
Bengals - Now, there's an interesting thought. They've had almost everything BUT a good QB. Could Marv stay and bring in Brees to make a run?
Texans - were mentioned in another post. That could be a team that takes the Brees/Payton combo. And that defense... whoa!!
Chargers - He wouldn't... would he? Nah.
Cowboys - Is Dak coming down to earth? Could Brees step in and give them a run with Payton as OC/assistant Head Coach? Brees grew up a Dallas fan, and we all know Payton's path came through there.
Bears - Cold and grass, but could be interesting.  I think he'd be better off staying in NOLA.
Cardinals - Palmer is at the end of his career, but has a decent defense. That could be a fun team to watch, and it's close to Brees' home in San Diego.

In sumary, I still think he stays put, but the Texans, Bengals, and Cardinal - in that order - would be the best opportunities for another ring, in my opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

Who needs him? Or should I say, who needs him that isn't in a similar situation?

Saints have a really good offense, still, and he's familiar with the players. The defense is a perennial laughing case.

I assume Brees will want to play indoors, but that's just an assumption. 

Dolphins - On their way up but the QB position is a huge question mark. Anyone would take Brees over Cutler, although Turf (Brees) over Grass (Cutler)???
Bills - Too cold
Bengals - Now, there's an interesting thought. They've had almost everything BUT a good QB. Could Marv stay and bring in Brees to make a run?
Texans - were mentioned in another post. That could be a team that takes the Brees/Payton combo. And that defense... whoa!!
Chargers - He wouldn't... would he? Nah.
Cowboys - Is Dak coming down to earth? Could Brees step in and give them a run with Payton as OC/assistant Head Coach? Brees grew up a Dallas fan, and we all know Payton's path came through there.
Bears - Cold and grass, but could be interesting.  I think he'd be better off staying in NOLA.
Cardinals - Palmer is at the end of his career, but has a decent defense. That could be a fun team to watch, and it's close to Brees' home in San Diego.

In sumary, I still think he stays put, but the Texans, Bengals, and Cardinal - in that order - would be the best opportunities for another ring, in my opinion.

I do believe the Saints would love to retain Brees for the remainder of his career with or without Payton however it would have to be at a rate (contract wise) that the franchise feels can support a rebuild. Also Brees would have to be onboard with that rebuild.

If Brees was to remain with the Saints, accept more of a game manager role and a team friendly deal. This team could rebuild under a defensive minded coach who could turn things around quickly. Personally i feel Brees would benifit from a coaching change. We all know hed benifit from having a nfl caliber defense. The question will be, how important is passing records and money to Brees? Brees has always struck me as the type to want his cake and eat it too which is why I feel he'll find what he wants elsewhere.

• Like 2

Dallas isn't replacing Dak.  Buffalo is every bit the laughing stock we are.  Anyone who wouldn't take Brees over Cutler, anywhere is the US, should be fired.  I don't think Bengals are a good fit.  Arizona and Houston sound like the two best places.  Pass friendly environments and solid teams that have awful-mediocre QB play.  Dolphins would be a decent landing spot.  I don't think grass vs turf matters all that much.  Much more important, is the supporting cast and offensive scheme.  Brees first two years in New Orleans had a better outdoor rating.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BossierWhoDat said:

I guess i'm the only one who voted for retirement. I know his competitiveness will probably keep him going (here or elsewhere), but since he has a ring i could totally see him hanging 'em up. No matter what, i hope he retires with us - either now or later.

Yeah, I highly doubt he retires, but I agree with you on the rest. I'd like to see him retire here, even though I actually feel bad for him for sticking with this coaching blunder.

What would be great is for a deep playoff run this season, which would increase Payton's stock value. Trade him away for a high pick, and let the restructure (not rebuild) begin.

Frankly, I'd like to see Brees stay put and retire here, but you and I both know it will be hard to afford him, he won't take a discount (certainly not with Tom Condon as his agent), and he's on his way out of football, so let's not be too heartbroken when he leaves.

I don't think Brees stays, period, regardless of Payton.

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

What would be great is for a deep playoff run this season, which would increase Payton's stock value. Trade him away for a high pick, and let the restructure (not rebuild) begin.

Frankly, I'd like to see Brees stay put and retire here, but you and I both know it will be hard to afford him, he won't take a discount (certainly not with Tom Condon as his agent), and he's on his way out of football, so let's not be too heartbroken when he leaves.

I don't think Brees stays, period, regardless of Payton.

I definitely think Brees is thinking about leaving after this season.  A deep playoff run might change that though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

A deep playoff run will keep everything in place. Payton stays and so does Brees

11 hours ago, BossierWhoDat said:

A deep playoff run will keep everything in place. Payton stays and so does Brees

Yeah. 

But if we have a deep playoff run you won’t find a single fan asking for a rebuild anymore, we’ll all be back in win now mode.

• Like 1