Will Brees stay without Payton?

BossierWhoDat

Will Brees stay without Payton?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. If this season continues to go as it has and Payton leaves, will Brees stays with the Saints?

• Yes! Don't be silly, Brees is one with New Orleans! Plenty of gas left in the tank.
    • Yes. He retires as a Saint and we have another reason to party!
    • No. He wants one more ring and signs with a Superbowl-ready team.
    • No! He and Payton are joined at the hip; he follows Payton.

1 hour ago, domepatrol91 said:

After a deep playoff run? I’ll believe it when I see it ;)

Even if it's a deep playoff run, we gotta know it won't last.  At most it would last 1 more year, that's even if we could resign Brees, which definitely isn't likely.

Brees is the key - for winning and losing. 

Regardless of depth into the playoffs, if our current success and improvement continues, there's really only one hot topic player, and that's Brees.

I know we have a few holes here and there, but Brees is absolutely the key at this point.

Biggest needs are - a good TE on offense (I think our line might be there, backs are set with Kamara & Ingram, and our WR corps is really good. Could use another good WR, but I like what we've got) and then a few defensive players on the line (1 edge rusher and 1 more run stuffer), another good CB, and perhaps some LB work... We're almost there.

It's all about Brees, once again.

8 hours ago, Raves said:

I'll still take the rebuild.

Uh, why? Our defense is suuuuuuuuuper young. If they show genuine signs and we end up making the playoffs for it, we absolutely should not rebuild. It shows growth within the team's young players and within Payton himself getting off this 7-9 train. Obviously we wouldn't have Brees for long but if our young defense is working out, while we already got some good young offensive players, we should 100% not rebuild and instead just draft a Brees replacement and try and develop him. Then if that doesn't work out you full on rebuild. And then while Brees is still around (obviously) try and win a 2nd ring with him. 

Edited by Spartica4Real

2 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

Uh, why? Our defense is suuuuuuuuuper young. If they show genuine signs and we end up making the playoffs for it, we absolutely should not rebuild. It shows growth within the team's young players and within Payton himself getting off this 7-9 train. Obviously we wouldn't have Brees for long but if our young defense is working out, while we already got some good young offensive players, we should 100% not rebuild and instead just draft a Brees replacement and try and develop him. Then if that doesn't work out you full on rebuild. And then while Brees is still around (obviously) try and win a 2nd ring with him. 

I think this roster has enough talent that a rebuild isnt necessary, However a restructure could take place based on a multitude of things...

1. If we end the season 8-8 or less with no playoffs in 5 of the last 6 season's and 4 straight, does Mickey Loomis explore trading Payton? Does Payton opt for a fresh start elsewhere?

2. How does Loomis feel about paying Brees 25+ per yead at 39 years old? Does Brees view the Saints as a viable option for the superbowl run over the next 3 season's.

3. Where do the Saints fall in the draft slotting... Does a potential 1st round QB fall to them? Reguardless what takes place this offseason the Saints must find an air apparent this offseason to Brees.

5 minutes ago, whodatworm23 said:

I think this roster has enough talent that a rebuild isnt necessary, However a restructure could take place based on a multitude of things...

1. If we end the season 8-8 or less with no playoffs in 5 of the last 6 season's and 4 straight, does Mickey Loomis explore trading Payton? Does Payton opt for a fresh start elsewhere?

2. How does Loomis feel about paying Brees 25+ per yead at 39 years old? Does Brees view the Saints as a viable option for the superbowl run over the next 3 season's.

3. Where do the Saints fall in the draft slotting... Does a potential 1st round QB fall to them? Reguardless what takes place this offseason the Saints must find an air apparent this offseason to Brees.

IMO

1. Payton gone if we go 8-8 or worse. Guy just needs a fresh start somewhere else at that point. 

2. If we make the playoffs with the defense improving and playing well, yes he does. If not, no, but I'm not so sold on the fact that Brees would leave even if we weren't. I think he wants his records and money more than another Super Bowl if he has to switch teams for it. Also Loomis will absolutely pay Brees whatever he wants, the only question is the number of years.

3. A QB could be had no matter where we fall, look at Deshaun Watson falling to the bottom of the 1st round. Even if we pick too late this year, that means we had a successful season and Brees probably returns anyways. We will *probably* have at least one opportunity to get a QB over the next few years. 

11 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Yeah. 

But if we have a deep playoff run you won’t find a single fan asking for a rebuild anymore, we’ll all be back in win now mode.

I may have came off differently, but that's exactly what I mean. If we go deep playoffs, this fanbase is excited again and Brees gets back his will to continue here in New Orleans.

10 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

I don't mean a full rebuild, obviously we continue to build on what's going on, but we are going to have to retool our offense.  We won't be able to afford Brees + pay the other players we need to + look to bring even a mediocre player in to try and improve a position that's worse than mediocre.

15 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

Why wouldn’t Brees resign? 

Money, money, and money.

7 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

IMO

1. Payton gone if we go 8-8 or worse. Guy just needs a fresh start somewhere else at that point. 

2. If we make the playoffs with the defense improving and playing well, yes he does. If not, no, but I'm not so sold on the fact that Brees would leave even if we weren't. I think he wants his records and money more than another Super Bowl if he has to switch teams for it. Also Loomis will absolutely pay Brees whatever he wants, the only question is the number of years.

3. A QB could be had no matter where we fall, look at Deshaun Watson falling to the bottom of the 1st round. Even if we pick too late this year, that means we had a successful season and Brees probably returns anyways. We will *probably* have at least one opportunity to get a QB over the next few years. 

1.  Agree

2.  We need to realize we can't afford to pay Brees, especially considering his age and the expected contract.  We would be better off paying Jimmy G that money so at least we have something of a long term investment and could manipulate the contract so that his cap hits increase after Brees' dead money from restructuring falls off the table.

3.  If we get a chance to draft one of the better prospects late in the 1st, we take it, otherwise we shouldn't try to trade up and instead look to try and get someone like Jimmy G.

6 hours ago, BossierWhoDat said:

I may have came off differently, but that's exactly what I mean. If we go deep playoffs, this fanbase is excited again and Brees gets back his will to continue here in New Orleans.

But for how much?

1 hour ago, Raves said:

I don't mean a full rebuild, obviously we continue to build on what's going on, but we are going to have to retool our offense.  We won't be able to afford Brees + pay the other players we need to + look to bring even a mediocre player in to try and improve a position that's worse than mediocre.

Money, money, and money.

1.  Agree

2.  We need to realize we can't afford to pay Brees, especially considering his age and the expected contract.  We would be better off paying Jimmy G that money so at least we have something of a long term investment and could manipulate the contract so that his cap hits increase after Brees' dead money from restructuring falls off the table.

3.  If we get a chance to draft one of the better prospects late in the 1st, we take it, otherwise we shouldn't try to trade up and instead look to try and get someone like Jimmy G.

One of the scenarios ive always felt could happen... All be it a long shot, Loomis and Payton both stay, Brees leaves and the Saints sign Jimmy G in free agency.

8 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

IMO

Watson was drafted 12th overall