2020 Ravens Forum Draft Game - Three Rounds

coordinator0

1 minute ago, coordinator0 said:

Yeah, I'm thinking a new game or some sort of scoring overhaul is in order for next year. 

4 minutes ago, drd23 said:

This game only makes sense if we have one pick in each round and don't trade any of them except for the 1st :|

5 points for an accurate 1st round pick 
7 points for an accurate 2nd round pick 
9 points for an accurate 3rd round pick 

It’s all in the rules. The only thing somewhat complicated is the trade up, trade down, or the stay put option.

8 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

5 points for an accurate 1st round pick 
7 points for an accurate 2nd round pick 
9 points for an accurate 3rd round pick 

It’s all in the rules. The only thing somewhat complicated is the trade up, trade down, or the stay put option.

But what defines "accurate" in this context? I think a lot of people would say it means "correct player at the correct pick number"

Just now, coordinator0 said:

Then the Madubuike boards also get 9 points? 

I guess I don’t understand the complication. You predicted Justin Madubuike getting predicted within the 2nd round, he instead wasn’t picked until the 3rd round. You got the correct player, but not the correct round.

@BaltimoreTerp predicted that Malik Harrison would get drafted AND he predicted he would be drafted in the 3rd round. So he got 9 points for that round. You’re rewarded not just for players but prediction of the actual draft.

The price is right does essentially the same concept where you predict the correct value. You essentially predicted the car would cost $15,000 when it only cost $10,000; whereas BTerp predicted his car would cost $10,000 and it cost $10,000.

1 minute ago, drd23 said:

But what defines "accurate" in this context? I think a lot of people would say it means "correct player at the correct pick number"

Accurate X ROUND pick. If someone picks a player in another round is it accurate per the round? No. It is an ACCURATE pick. Not an “accurate round” pick.

40 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

I guess I don’t understand the complication. You predicted Justin Madubuike getting predicted within the 2nd round, he instead wasn’t picked until the 3rd round. You got the correct player, but not the correct round.

@BaltimoreTerp predicted that Malik Harrison would get drafted AND he predicted he would be drafted in the 3rd round. So he got 9 points for that round. You’re rewarded not just for players but prediction of the actual draft.

The price is right does essentially the same concept where you predict the correct value. You essentially predicted the car would cost $15,000 when it only cost $10,000; whereas BTerp predicted his car would cost $10,000 and it cost $10,000.

Wasn't really about my board, just trying to get things correct. 

So it's more of an issue with the way things are setup. This is what entries should look like then:

Trade Down, Trade Up, or Stay: 

1st Round: 
2nd Round: 
3rd Round: 
Alternate: 

With multiple options when the Ravens go into the draft with them, like two seconds and two thirds this year. Same points system. The trade up/down/stay option remains tied to the original first round pick. I think that clears a lot of things up. drd23 and I were on the same page with defining how accurate a pick needed to be to get full points. 

After looking at it some more I would also propose eliminating the right position/wrong player extra points. That gets kind of messy, especially with some linemen on both sides of the ball. So something that looks like this:

This is a somewhat simple game. You pick players the Ravens are going to draft in the first three rounds plus an alternate player that could be slotted into any of the rounds that count in this game. The alternate option will count for points in whatever round that player is taken in. You may list as many options in each round as the Ravens have picks in that round heading into the draft. These are the scoring guidelines: 

• 5 points for a correctly predicted 1st round pick 
  • 7 points for a correctly predicted 2nd round pick 
  • 9 points for a correctly predicted 3rd round pick
  • 2 points for the correct player, but taken in a different round (though still only recognizing rounds 1 through 3)
  • 2 points for the correct choice of trading down, trading up, or staying put with the highest first round pick

Here's a template to make your predictions with:

Trade Down, Trade Up, or Stay: 

First Round: 
Second Round: 
Third Round: 
Alternate: 

The picks were only listed for the trade up, down, stay twist. If its going to be rounds only... might want to remove that option. Or add it to the other rounds as an option, such as:

Round One: Stay, Trade Up, Trade Down; Patrick Queen

Round Two: Stay, Trade Up, Trade Down; JK Dobbins

Round Three: Stay, Trade Up, Trade Down; Justin Madubuike

Alternate: Malik Harrison

Though for what its worth if simplicity is prized than doing the above would not be simple because then someone might ask, what if they trade down and then trade back up in a round?

In which case the logical answer would be that BOTH trade down and trade up were acceptable answers, however in such an event it still would not likely be clear to enough... and thus I would just removed trades all together.

Edited by diamondbull424

3 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Wait... the trade option was originally for all three rounds? I thought it was always for the first pick. 

If it was, knowing the Ravens, why did any of us ever choose -Stay-. lol

I just assumed it was always solely for the 1st Rounder too.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Wait... the trade option was originally for all three rounds? I thought it was always for the first pick. 

This is why I usually only manage 20 prospects. xD

No. It was initially only for the first round. I was simply stating that the number of the picks was just because writing:

Pick 28: trade up, down, stay

Round Two

Round Three

Would’ve looked disjointed... and so I only wrote the numbers so people knew which pick we had in each round at the start of the game and which first round pick they would potentially be trading from... especially with the number of casuals who were on the board at the time.

Beyond that whatever semantics are getting lost in my writing... I’m not passionate enough about this subject to try and explain it. It’s why I stopped managing this game to let it die. Clearly textual communication isn’t my strong suite.

1 hour ago, diamondbull424 said:

Beyond that whatever semantics are getting lost in my writing... I’m not passionate enough about this subject to try and explain it. It’s why I stopped managing this game to let it die. Clearly textual communication isn’t my strong suite.

It makes sense now (especially in this last post, at least to me), but clearly a number of us have been playing this game slightly differently for a few years xD

• Like 1

On 11/04/2020 at 8:44 PM, CoverZero said:

Stay

Pick # 28: Ceasar Ruiz
Pick # 55: Michael Pittman Jnr
Pick # 60: Josh Uche
Pick # 92: Akeem Davis-Gaither
Pick # 106: Jauan Jennings
Alternate: Zack Baun

I got Josh Uche at pick 60...he just wasn't picked by us!

• Like 1