Raiders Offense Thread 2.0:

MrOaktown_56

This thread will progress throughout the offseason but considering we have one for defensive discussion, why not have a Raiders offense thread too?

Some things I'm looking forward to from guys ON the team rn:

1. Renfrows progression. Is he already one of the best slots in the league? How good can he be?

2.Jacobs usage in the pass game. I thought his route running and hands were super underrated. Can he take the next step and translate that flash in college to the pros with a health shoulder and slightly reduced rushing workload?

3. Kolton Miller: He looked better last year, but faltered at times. Can he become a top tier OT? Or is his ceiling more of a good but never great guy?

• Like 1

I'm very interested this year to see how Tyrell Williams looks and plays. I wasn't a fan of the signing last year but he did have his moments early on. He's very well paid so he has to produce and Gruden and Mayock both alluded to him being the original plan for the #1 WR before Brown became available, which is a little worrisome as he looks like a slightly better version if Andre Holmes to me.

I hope we can bring in Lamb to be the #1 and with Renfrow getting more and more comfortable with Carr we could have a pretty decent WR group. Lamb as the go to 100 receptions type, Williams as the deep threat and Renfrow as the crafty slot guy.  We'd have both Waller and Witten too to work the short and intermediate. Nice balance.

• Like 3

Ruggs               Miller, Incognito, Hudson, Jackson, Brown       Waller                     Williams

Carr

Jacobs         Ingold

Slot: Renfrow

Getting a good back up at RB should be pretty high on our priority list. Richard can play a role on offense but if Jacobs is out, Jalen can't be trusted to carry a heavy workload. At this point, i guess that's something they want to adress in the draft rather than FA. There are some good options in the 3rd/4th/5th. Anyway, running the ball is key to our offense so we can't only rely on Jacobs there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

What I want to see is us skip a WR in the first and double dip on 2 wrs in the 2nd to 5th range (Laviska, Mims, Pittman, Aiyuk, Claypool) and commit to Waller as our #1 target. He and Jacobs should be the stars of this offense.

Actually people complained Waller was getting taken away without good WR,s. Plus I need Ruggs in this offense.

Edited by raidr4life

2 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

What I want to see is us skip a WR in the first and double dip on 2 wrs in the 2nd to 5th range (Laviska, Mims, Pittman, Aiyuk, Claypool) and commit to Waller as our #1 target. He and Jacobs should be the stars of this offense.

I would take Ruggs and a guy like Pittman or Claypool in the 3rd who could be our starters going forward since William's probably wont be around next year. Ruggs, Pittman, Renfrow 2021

3 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

This is a different take, due to the depth we could get some really good value but there are two things which I'd query, who would we take at 12 if the top defensive options are gone, as WR would surely be BPA and what do we do if we cant reasonably trade down into the second round, which I think will be difficult and may mean giving up a lot of value.......I specifically dont see teams wanting to trade up into 19 despite everyone and their dog wanting that.   

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Actually people complained Waller was getting taken away without good WR,s. Plus I need Ruggs in this offense.

All the top 30 WRs in this class have a decent chance to be good in the league. If we select wisely, which I don't doubt with Mayock, we can get guys that upgrade the offense and still not have to use 12 on a WR. Ruggs is a bad man but I question his real fit in our offense.

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

This is a different take, due to the depth we could get some really good value but there are two things which I'd query, who would we take at 12 if the top defensive options are gone, as WR would surely be BPA and what do we do if we cant reasonably trade down into the second round, which I think will be difficult and may mean giving up a lot of value.......I specifically dont see teams wanting to trade up into 19 despite everyone and their dog wanting that.   

Javon Kinlaw?

• Like 1

Also, can we start to talk about how big is this season is for Kolton Miller. Very important season for him when it comes down to will his 5th-year option gets picked up. Gave up 16 sacks his rookie year and 7 last year. I would like to see that number continue to drop to 4 or 3. He's really good at times and then he has some head-scratching plays at times. 

Things I'm excited to see: 

• Can Tyrell Williams stay healthy and live up to his contract? Before his injury he was on pace for a 1,000+ yard/10+ TD season and put up 1,000+ yards during the only season of his career that he got 100+ targets. 

• Can Renfrow take the next step this season? During his final 7 games he really started to come on strong and built a ton of chemistry with Carr. During that stretch he caught 35 passes (80% of his targets), for 490 yards (14.0 avg), and 4 TD. If you apply that level of production over a 16 game season it translates to 80 receptions for 1,120 yards and 9 TD. 

• Will we be able to add another young RB in the draft that can take some of the workload off of Josh Jacobs to keep him healthy? 

• Can Darren Waller take another step up this season, especially with less defensive attention on him? 

• Will we be able to add a young stud WR and if so how will that change our offense? 

• Can Derek Carr return to 2016 peak form with more weapons around him? Or is he who he is at this point? And if so when does Mariota potentially step in and how much different does our offense look with him under center? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Was listing to Inside the Birds podcast(Eagles podcast) because Adam Caplan was talking about WR's and Caplan mentioned that he has heard that the Raiders will play Nelson Agholor outside and not the slot.

Just like with Joyner in the slot, I hate how our staff pigeon holes guys into certain roles and refuses to compromise. 

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

I would take Ruggs and a guy like Pittman or Claypool in the 3rd who could be our starters going forward since William's probably wont be around next year. Ruggs, Pittman, Renfrow 2021

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

Yeah it really depends on if we can get a trade down. Saw a post on reddit of a guy doing different scenarios.

Raiders trade 12 and 19 to Miami for 18, 26, 34, 141, 153

Raiders trade 12, 81, 91 to Minnesota for 22 and 25 (giving us 19, 22, 25)

Raiders trade 12, 19, 80, 121 to the Giants for 4 and 36

Raiders trade 12 (OR 19 and 91) to the Colts for 34 and 44

Raiders trade 19 to the Dolphins for 39 and 56 (Miami would have an insane 4 first round picks)

Raiders trade 12 to Tennessee for every pick they have (29, 61, 93, 174, 224, 237, 243) and they'd still have to throw in a 3rd next year

Raiders trade 80, 81, 91 to Miami for 39

Raiders trade 12 to Philly for 21, 53, and 145

But if I had to use both the 12th and 19th picks and Young, Okudah, Simmons, Brown and Henderson are gone then I would HAVE to look at WRs and from those top3 my preference go - Lamb, Ruggs, Jeudy. The next tier but right under them for me is Laviska, Jefferson, Higgins. But I have a feeling Mayock has a defender not mentioned above higher on his board than some of us. Guys like Diggs, Baun, Queen, Kinlaw, Murray and Johnson could all be in play.

• Like 2