A Different Mock

Joe

1 hour ago, rbens06 said:

And that is where I am at, I was not a huge fan of Dillard, nor Jones, in round one. Give me those guys in round two last year or this year and I am happy. But I understand why they go in one. With that said I am not upset with them at that 30 spot (I know Dillard was last year, but just for comp sake), but its one I am a little nervous about from a bust perspective. I think for us this year to let Jones sit, develop more strength and refine technique some (I have seen some horrendous first steps out of him) would benefit him tremendously and could be something that allows him to be a solid OT for a long time. 

That would be the idea. Let Wagner and Bakh bring him up to speed.

Consider this, however - Brian Bulaga's not going to Canton, but he was a solid OT for us when he was healthy and was taken a few spots ahead of where Jones would be taken. If Jones can get to Bulaga's level and stay healthy, he's definitely worth the first we would spend on him in this scenario.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:00 PM, Joe said:

That would be the idea. Let Wagner and Bakh bring him up to speed.

Consider this, however - Brian Bulaga's not going to Canton, but he was a solid OT for us when he was healthy and was taken a few spots ahead of where Jones would be taken. If Jones can get to Bulaga's level and stay healthy, he's definitely worth the first we would spend on him in this scenario.

I agree completely that if Jones hits Bulaga's level we have a great pick. Bulaga was a safer pick and a guy that had a much higher floor coming out than Jones does now. I think Jones offers a higher ceiling. But I agree if we get a Bulaga level guy I am very happy with that. 

There are two sides to every coin, Anthony Davis was selected 12 spots ahead of Bulaga and that didn't work out so well. I agree with your point though, but I also don't think comparing Jones to Bulaga is good as they are different OT styles/tools.  

On 4/14/2020 at 10:32 AM, rbens06 said:

I agree completely that if Jones hits Bulaga's level we have a great pick. Bulaga was a safer pick and a guy that had a much higher floor coming out than Jones does now. I think Jones offers a higher ceiling. But I agree if we get a Bulaga level guy I am very happy with that. 

There are two sides to every coin, Anthony Davis was selected 12 spots ahead of Bulaga and that didn't work out so well. I agree with your point though, but I also don't think comparing Jones to Bulaga is good as they are different OT styles/tools.  

You're under estimating Bulaga's athletic ceiling before the injuries.

This is going to sound idiotic considering the combine that Wirfs just had, but there are people associated with that Iowa program who still consider him to be the best pure athlete in the history of that program. Not necessarily in pure running and jumping stuff, but in the sense of being great at literally everything they ever did athletically from basketball to golf.

12 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're under estimating Bulaga's athletic ceiling before the injuries.

This is going to sound idiotic considering the combine that Wirfs just had, but there are people associated with that Iowa program who still consider him to be the best pure athlete in the history of that program. Not necessarily in pure running and jumping stuff, but in the sense of being great at literally everything they ever did athletically from basketball to golf.

Not idiotic at all I think there is a difference in a natural athlete and a testing athlete. I think Bulaga is more of the natural athlete category. He obviously didn't test as well as Wirfs, but I agree that doesnt necessarily make him less of an athlete.

If memory serves me right (10 years ago so I might remember wrong),  Bulaga was a more ready prospect that had a very high floor and a small gap up to his ceiling, or at least in my opinion. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I think Bulaga RT career is > Bulaga LT career. I personally thought he would be an ok LT when he was being shifted there for us, but didn't think he would be an elite LT. To be clear I am very pro Bulaga and think his career with us was very much underrated and when drafting him I was very happy with the pick. It's hard to go back to 2010 mindset having seen what has transpired, not just his injuries, but Bahk's development too.  

With Jones I think he has a substantially lower floor, to me a much much higher bust percentage than Bulaga, but I say higher ceiling because I see a little more quickness/lateral movement skills in Jones, but Jones' footwork and technique are substantially worse than Bulaga's coming out, but if Jones' technique and footwork clean up, I think he has better LT potential than what Bulaga did coming out; it might take Jones longer to get there, but if he does I think as a LT he can be a click above Bulaga was projected at. 

• Like 1