Who will have the best career?

Doc Draper

Which Top Rated Pass Rusher in the previous and current draft will have the best career  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which Top Rated Passer in the previous and current draft will have the best career

• 2014 Jadeveon Clowney
    • 2015 Leonard William
    • 2016 Joey Bosa
    • 2017 Myles Garrett
    • 2018 Bradley Chubb
    • 2019 Nick Bosa
    • 2020 Chase Young

30 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I've said this for years, people sleep on Clowney’s effectiveness bc he doesn't get a lot of sacks, they overlook his pressures and plays in the run game and what that means for a defense too. He was great last playoffs vs Phila - arguably the best OL in the NFL.

In his two playoff games he seemed to be coming into his own w/ 1.5 sacks, 12 tackles, 3 tackles for loss and 3 QB hits.

He was drafted number one overall as a pass rusher, not a run stopper. He can’t get to the QB. 

• Like 1

Im with Turtle on this one. Teams place special priority on Clowney so he doesnt get production. And even still. Hes as disruptive to games as any.

I would maybe call the biggest knock on him. Is when a lot is on the line and its big game moments. He shows bigtime. When its not he plays it safe and keeps his foot off the peddle some it seems to me.

Chase could wind up facing much of the same. Plays where hes given special priority. So instead of a RB running out for a screen. Hes held back to help double or disrupt Chase. Which in itself helps the DBs/LBs so they arnt stuck in a dead zone between the screen and a short pass. But its not a stat that reaches paper. Which is what Clowney has been up against stat wise.

Edited by PARROTHEAD
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Im with Turtle on this one. Teams place special priority on Clowney so he doesnt get production. And even still. Hes as disruptive to games as any.

I would maybe call the biggest knock on him. Is when a lot is on the line and its big game moments. He shows bigtime. When its not he plays it safe and keeps his foot off the peddle some it seems to me.

Chase could wind up facing much of the same. Plays where hes given special priority. So instead of a RB running out for a screen. Hes held back to help double or disrupt Chase. Which in itself helps the DBs/LBs so they arnt stuck in a dead zone between the screen and a short pass. But its not a stat that reaches paper. Which is what Clowney has been up against stat wise.

But wouldn’t that be the case for every great pass rusher? I mean, do teams simply let Miller, Garrett, Bosa, Watt etc roam free? You can’t possibly believe he doesn’t get to the QB because teams play him different than anybody else...

8 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I'll give you guys the benefit of the doubt for earlier years, because Clowney was injured when he first came in, and JJ Watt had some injury issues as well.  However, in 2018, they were both healthy.  In 15 games, Clowney had nine sacks, and produced no turnovers (he did have 3 FR and one went for a TD) and finished with 47 tackles.  Meanwhile, JJ Watt in 16 games finished with 16 sacks, 7 forced fumbles and 61 tackles.  

You guys are telling me, in a league where pressure and blitzing is becoming increasingly prevalent to get to the QB, that teams were gameplanning and double-teaming Clowney more than Watt.  The same Clowney who, up until 2017, never had more than six sacks in a season.   I don't believe that's the case at all.  To put this in further perspective, Whitney Mercilus had 7.5 sacks in 2019, and Watt missed half of the season.  Clowney should've benefitted from Watt's play in 2018 much more than 9 sacks worth.  

If he was as good as you guys are saying he was, teams would be overlooking the poor year he had in Seattle (hard to adjust to a new team and scheme, contract issues, etc) and would be lining up to pay the guy.  Instead, it's almost draft time and he doesn't have a contract.  ESPN's top 100 FA's has Clowney ranked sixth.  Aside from tagged players, the next highest guy still out there is #29 Jameis Winston, a QB.  After him, it's #41 LB Markus Golden.  A total of 8 players from that list remain unsigned.  

He's not as good as he thinks he is, and as a lot of people view him.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

But wouldn’t that be the case for every great pass rusher? I mean, do teams simply let Miller, Garrett, Bosa, Watt etc roam free? You can’t possibly believe he doesn’t get to the QB because teams play him different than anybody else...

Yep, team's just double-teamed him in 2018 and let JJ Watt net 16 sacks and 7 forced fumbles.  

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That’s definitely true. It’s why I would never have Clowney above the top edge rushers. Does that mean he’s a bust? Everyone has their own interpretation of the word IMO. I don’t call a 3 time pro bowler a bust. Now, has he lived up to the expectations of being this unblockable force? No, he hasn’t but he does make plays that don’t show up on NFL.com’s stat sheet but they’ll show up on advanced stats like tackles for loss, QB hits and QB pressures. Those stats show that he gets pressures and makes plays behind the line of scrimmage.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

He was drafted number one overall as a pass rusher, not a run stopper. He can’t get to the QB. 

Just make sure that's the same way You judge Young. I'm serious, Young better have a double digit sack ROOKIE year the way You particular write about him in this forum. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

That’s definitely true. It’s why I would never have Clowney above the top edge rushers. Does that mean he’s a bust? Everyone has their own interpretation of the word IMO. I don’t call a 3 time pro bowler a bust. Now, has he lived up to the expectations of being this unblockable force? No, he hasn’t but he does make plays that don’t show up on NFL.com’s stat sheet but they’ll show up on advanced stats like tackles for loss, QB hits and QB pressures. Those stats show that he gets pressures and makes plays behind the line of scrimmage.

If Chase Young ends up being a Clowney while another DE in his draft class becomes Watt this proves Chase Young was over hyped plain and simple. I need Chase Young to put up Watt type numbers as the #2 pick in the draft. 

54 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

If Chase Young ends up being a Clowney while another DE in his draft class becomes Watt this proves Chase Young was over hyped plain and simple. I need Chase Young to put up Watt type numbers as the #2 pick in the draft. 

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Just make sure that's the same way You judge Young. I'm serious, Young better have a double digit sack ROOKIE year the way You particular write about him in this forum. 

Make sure you're still here when Jeudy, Murray, and McKinney don't all become All-Pros.

Edited by HTTRDynasty
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Look at the collective lines they were on. Bosa is on a dominate line. LT was on one. Deacon Jones was on one. The greats have support. They arnt one man gangs.

Clowney had JJ but for years 1 or the other wasnt healthy. And with an All Timer like JJ, outside maybe someone like Deacon Jones. Hes the hardest in the world to get pressure there in front of to take the stat point.

2018 SF ranked 2nd in Pressure %. Then they added Bosa. So he can get those stats easier than those without such a great supporting cast. If Chase goes out and piles stats, that means the rest of the Redskins 3rd ranked Pressure % line is doing their job same as the year before to allow him that freedom.

2 hours ago, Skins212689 said:

So me judging Clowney years into his career should be the way I judge Young after his first season? Do you not see how crazy that is? 

38 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

So me judging Clowney years into his career should be the way I judge Young after his first season? Do you not see how crazy that is? 

He's soooo unstoppable and such a can't miss Yes this dude better come out Lighting QB's on fire. You said Clowney wasn't drafted to stop the run as the 1st pick and neither will Young be in my eye's as a ROOKIE. 

Or let me ask how many years into the league should we expect Young to get double digits sacks back to back year's?