The Defensive Evolution of the Steelers: The Future

MOSteelers56

This video does a great job of explaining how our defense evolved throughout the season. It’s pretty cool to see this, especially for us non-film junkies. 

So, how does the defense improve? What are some improvements that can be made with personnel and scheme? What defensive position do you think is most vital to address this offseason. I hope this can grow some discussion. Hopefully it will be a nice, little break from hovering over draft boards on FFMD.

• Like 4

That was a really good watch, thanks for sharing @MOSteelers56

Make you wonder you to credit more for those in-season adjustments, Tomlin or Butler? My gut says Tomlin. 

Enjoyed the part about Dupree's "ghost" rush and how only a very select few of people in the league can pull that type of rush off. It takes a special get-off to execute. Also interesting to see how we "layer" our rushes. 

One thing I took from the video is how important it is to have smart, fast, and versatile players for our defense to continue to be lethal. I'm stoked to see what Bush can do in year 2. Him and Minkah are one of the underrated aspects that make our defense so deadly and you can see how necessary it was for us to go up and get a guy with Bush's athleticism last year. 

Edited by bigben07MVP
  • Like 3

I agree @bigben07MVP Bush and Minkah’s development are vital. I’m excited to see what we can do with Minkah now that he’s had this long to digest the playbook. I’m also excited about what Edmunds can do. I was watching some of his highlights(I know I know) and he is so big and fast. He’s like lightning when he’s coming into the box. I think his coverage will improve too. With Tuitt coming back, we’ll be scary.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree @bigben07MVP Bush and Minkah’s development are vital. I’m excited to see what we can do with Minkah now that he’s had this long to digest the playbook. I’m also excited about what Edmunds can do. I was watching some of his highlights(I know I know) and he is so big and fast. He’s like lightning when he’s coming into the box. I think his coverage will improve too. With Tuitt coming back, we’ll be scary.

It may not look like it stats wise, however, I thought Edmunds took a nice step forward last year. He still needs improvement, like getting his head turned around. He definitely has the talent to succeed in this league. The two times I recall he was matched up with a WR( metcalf and Anderson) he was in good position, the receiver made a better play. I’m excited to see the growth of him and fitz together. Could be a 1-2 punch for years to come

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Displayname said:

It may not look like it stats wise, however, I thought Edmunds took a nice step forward last year. He still needs improvement, like getting his head turned around. He definitely has the talent to succeed in this league. The two times I recall he was matched up with a WR( metcalf and Anderson) he was in good position, the receiver made a better play. I’m excited to see the growth of him and fitz together. Could be a 1-2 punch for years to come

I agree. I thought Edmunds looked considerably better last year. I guess that’s the benefit of playing next to Minkah and not Sean Davis. I do think some was Edmunds just getting better too.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I agree. I thought Edmunds looked considerably better last year. I guess that’s the benefit of playing next to Minkah and not Sean Davis. I do think some was Edmunds just getting better too.

His lack of turnovers and splash plays (0 INT, 0 FF, 0 FR, 0 sacks, 2 TFL) for his snap % is alarming, especially when literally everyone else on the field was making plays all season. He has 1 INT in 32 games for his career.

At least he was a solid tackler and looked really good when attacking down-hill/closing in on ball carriers. He has good speed and packs a punch when he tackles. If he could add some splash plays this season I’ll be happy.

• Like 1

I think his splash plays will come. I agree, it’s flabbergasting that he has so few. Not a good sign at all. But I do think he was just a fraction late a few times. I think he will get more and more comfortable and the game will slow down for him. He was so raw coming into the league. He took the ball a lot it college. I think he’s going to be a quality SS for us.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Displayname said:

Edmunds reminds me of Donovan Darius in terms of how he can recover very quickly and blitz

Year 2-3 is usually a big jump for players.  I think Edmunds is fine.   If he weren't a first round pick, we would be fine with where he is.  Let's say we got him in the 2nd or 3rd round, we would all be good with him.

I think @MOSteelers56 hit it... playing next to Davis as a rookie didn't help Edmunds much.  Davis was in his first year being a FS, and there was a steep learning curve.  I feel like Minkah has made Edmunds a better player.  Even on the films above, you see Edmunds getting better.  He is really good at lining up against TE and RB, and even slot WR.  He is big and athletic, and is a sure tackler.

I think the stats thing is a little overblown.  Like, we all laud Minkah for his stats, but how many were as a result of teammates??  Same with Edmunds.  I can tell you, that is one of the frustrating things about coaching defense. Stats are tough... yea, some of Minkah's INTs were his ability.. but some were someone rushing a throw, taking away a WR, or some other issue.  Also, some big plays come from taking chances... Minkah does at times.  Now, he is good, so he can get away with it, but Edmunds is not willing to gamble... maybe as he gets more reps, he will see the game slow down and he will read some more routes and jump some.  I think his time is coming.

My hope is that we get a FS at some point and we can move Minkah around some.  He is a good FS, but he is also very good closer to the box.  There are some guys in the draft that are very attractive to me to fill this spot.

• Like 1

As much as I would love for them to move Minkah around, it’s such a nice luxury to just put him at free safety to just completely shut down any threat of a deep passing attack. Teams just refused to throw his way the 2nd half of the season.

Apparently he wants to move around more this season so teams can’t avoid him as much. I think him being frustrated with Miami moving him around so much was overblown and more just an excuse to get out of a bad situation. 

• Like 2

I like Ashtyn Davis as a player, but hate him as a Steelers pick.  He is older and not as SPARQ-y as the Steelers like.  I think he has the ability to be a true centerfielder, but I don't know if the Steelers will view him as a draftable guy when we would have to get him.

Ideally safety #3 would be a draft pick or FA, but I could see Sutton there.  The kid is talented, and is blocked by Hilton.  I see the Layne pick last year as being a developmental pick for outside CB, but Sutton has always struck me as being more of a slot corner, move guy.  I even saw he was taking reps as a dimebacker as well.  With Hilton blocking his PT, he could move around and be the 3rd safety.  He has more upside than Marcus Allen and Dangerfield for sure, and would be my pick to move around.

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’d like to see Minkah move around a bit if we’re in a defense that has Sutton or Hilton as the 3rd safety. Or if we draft an athletic FS. Maybe Ashtyn Davis? 

We would have to draft him in the 2nd.    Cant see us drafting a safety that early....maybe not at all.

They traded a first for Minkah and used a first on Edmunds 2 years ago.    Even though many Steeler fans (including myself) arent that high on Edmunds, he is soundly entrenched as our starter for 2020.    Edmunds is further ahead of where Sean Davis was after his 2nd year.    Sean Davis' 2nd year was some of the worst safety play Ive ever seen.      Edmunds will get more than a fair shot to keep growing, especially since we are missing a first round pick.   

Of course we could use depth and another playmaker at safety, but that would be an extreme luxury pick.    Not saying it cant happen....but I doubt it.     We still have no NT (which I dont expect to draft in the 2nd, but still), we have no real dependable RBs, and we have several players that are aging, regressing, in the final years of contracts, or a combination of the 3.

Bottom line, I cant see us drafting a safety until late in the draft.    We have two young starters at safety now who are both under contract for 2 or 3 more years, and we could use depth at EVERY position.    

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

We would have to draft him in the 2nd.    Cant see us drafting a safety that early....maybe not at all.

They traded a first for Minkah and used a first on Edmunds 2 years ago.    Even though many Steeler fans (including myself) arent that high on Edmunds, he is soundly entrenched as our starter for 2020.    Edmunds is further ahead of where Sean Davis was after his 2nd year.    Sean Davis' 2nd year was some of the worst safety play Ive ever seen.      Edmunds will get more than a fair shot to keep growing, especially since we are missing a first round pick.   

Of course we could use depth and another playmaker at safety, but that would be an extreme luxury pick.    Not saying it cant happen....but I doubt it.     We still have no NT (which I dont expect to draft in the 2nd, but still), we have no real dependable RBs, and we have several players that are aging, regressing, in the final years of contracts, or a combination of the 3.

Bottom line, I cant see us drafting a safety until late in the draft.    We have two young starters at safety now who are both under contract for 2 or 3 more years, and we could use depth at EVERY position.    

Agree to an extent.  The only caveat I'd add is if the "Safety" is the starting Hybrid ILB (Chinn/Dugger).  I could see them going that route though I don't necessarily agree with it.  A. Davis doesn't fit that scenario tho. 

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 1