Breeland returning to Chiefs on one year deal

Bullyball

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Who replaces Fuller?  Thornhill?

Rashad Fenton. He's a scrappy up and comer. He had some "meh" moments but I think he actually played better than Fuller did overall. When Thornhill went down and Fuller played more of a Safety/CB hybrid he did very well though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Fuller was hardly a starter.   He was in for sub packages.   R. Fenton Replaced him well at the CB position last year, while Fuller was out with injury.   Fuller really didn’t produce until we played him more at S.  

Thornhill shouldn’t miss too much time,  Sorensen is adequate enough to spot start for the time he misses.

Im sure we’ll draft a CB at some point,  with Ward and Breeland both looking at 1 year deals

This is absolutely fantastic.

And kind of ridiculous, from a continuity standpoint. We're returning every offensive player that played over 400 snaps. Every defensive player that played over 500. I'm pretty sure we return the entire coaching staff. I want to say we return 21/22 of our week 1 starters, and 20/22 of our starters in the superbowl. Basically the entire superbowl winning team is being retained.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

They mostly covered this, but it depends a bit on when you're talking about. Fuller started the year as our NB. He'll be replaced there by the guy who replaced him when he got hurt, Rashad Fenton. Most anyone would tell you that Fenton did a better job as a pure NB last year than Fuller did. Fenton had like a 50% completion rate when targeted, Fuller was at like 75%. In coverage stats it....wasn't close.

Where Fuller really stood out was where he ended the year, at FS. There he'll be replaced by the guy who he was subbing in for, in Thornhill. Which realistically would've happened anyway.

So we'll basically be running the same secondary we ran midseason when Fuller was hurt. Breeland at LCB, Ward at RCB, Thornhill at FS, Mathieu at SS. Then Fenton is our main slot, but depending on personnel we may throw Sorensen at NB, or Sorensen at SS to move Mathieu to NB. Dime will have a little bit of all of the above.

The only place we'll really miss Fuller will be depth. We'd be comfortable with Armani Watts playing as our third safety if someone in front get hurts, and we'd be fine with Sorensen starting, but I don't really think we'd be comfortable if Fenton had to start, or Antonio Hamilton or Alex Brown had to move up and be the #3 CB, so we probably try to draft a #4 guy.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

And Chris Jones, these signings continue to deplete the money available to him. Please just trade him out of the Conference

They really don't, though. Unless I'm forgetting one, every contract we've given out this offseason is a one year deal. So no long term money has been tied up by anything we've done this year. The Frank Clark restructure is the only thing that impacts anything financially 2021 and onward. And we have enough money to pay Jones on a $16M franchise tag, which would be more than enough room to structure the first year of a longer deal.

45 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

They mostly covered this, but it depends a bit on when you're talking about. Fuller started the year as our NB. He'll be replaced there by the guy who replaced him when he got hurt, Rashad Fenton. Most anyone would tell you that Fenton did a better job as a pure NB last year than Fuller did. Fenton had like a 50% completion rate when targeted, Fuller was at like 75%. In coverage stats it....wasn't close.

Where Fuller really stood out was where he ended the year, at FS. There he'll be replaced by the guy who he was subbing in for, in Thornhill. Which realistically would've happened anyway.

So we'll basically be running the same secondary we ran midseason when Fuller was hurt. Breeland at LCB, Ward at RCB, Thornhill at FS, Mathieu at SS. Then Fenton is our main slot, but depending on personnel we may throw Sorensen at NB, or Sorensen at SS to move Mathieu to NB. Dime will have a little bit of all of the above.

The only place we'll really miss Fuller will be depth. We'd be comfortable with Armani Watts playing as our third safety if someone in front get hurts, and we'd be fine with Sorensen starting, but I don't really think we'd be comfortable if Fenton had to start, or Antonio Hamilton or Alex Brown had to move up and be the #3 CB, so we probably try to draft a #4 guy.

Thanks for the background.  I'm hoping Fuller can get back to his 2017 form at Nickel here, back when he was PFF's #2 ranked CB.  It won't hurt that he should be playing behind a much stronger DL than he did in 2017.  I love his versatility as well.

I think the Chiefs were wise to keep Breeland and I'm impressed at the continuity they've been able to maintain so far this off-season.

• Like 2