Cowboys - Build The Board, Round 1: Pick 23

DaBoys

DALLAS COWBOYS BIG BOARD     

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the #23 Player on our big board?

• EDGE- Curtis Weaver, Boise St
    • RB - Jonathan Taylor, Wisconsin
    • RB - J.K. Dobbins, Ohio State
    • DT - Justin Madubuike, Texas A&M
    • LB - Kenneth Murray, Oklahoma
    • CB - Jaylon Johnson, Utah
    • DT - Ross Blacklock, TCU
    • C - Cesar Ruiz, Michigan
    • QB - Jordan Love, Utah St.
    • CB - A.J. Terrell, Clemson
    • WR - Brandon Aiyuk, Arizona St.
    • CB - Kristian Fulton, LSU
    • WR - Laviska Shenault jr., Colorado
    • S - Grant Delpit, LSU
    • S - Xavier McKinney, Alabama
    • S - Antoine Winfield Jr., Minnesota
    • OT - Austin Jackson, USC
    • RB - D'Andre Swift, Georgia
    • WR - Justin Jefferson, LSU
    • WR - Tee Higgins, Clemson

1 hour ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Not at all - unless The WolfHunter is worse off. But I think Murray is more talented than anyone else on the board.

And at what point do you draw the line? This is why it's so important to rank players regardless of need. If you have Murray #20 on your board but don't need a LB you may select the #25 guy on your board over him.

But what about your 30th ranked player? Do you still pick him over Murray? 35th? At some point getting the better player has to factor in, and that point is different for everyone/every team.

Now remember people didn't think we needed LVE at the time either. Lee was coming off a good year where we couldn't win without him, and Jaylon was starting to come on at the end.

5 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Well, the Cowboys themselves might. But if I were the one building the draft board myself for Dallas, though, a linebacker like him would rank much lower. 

Hypthetically, Lee decides tomorrow that he wants to retire because ESPN gave him an offer too good to refuse. Does this change anything for you?

19 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

And at what point do you draw the line? This is why it's so important to rank players regardless of need. If you have Murray #20 on your board but don't need a LB you may select the #25 guy on your board over him.

But what about your 30th ranked player? Do you still pick him over Murray? 35th? At some point getting the better player has to factor in, and that point is different for everyone/every team.

Now remember people didn't think we needed LVE at the time either. Lee was coming off a good year where we couldn't win without him, and Jaylon was starting to come on at the end.

The answer is, if you are building a board for a specific team, you should build everything into your rankings. You are trying to figure out how to allocate scarce resources, and all of those things are considerations you use to determine which player is likely to provide you the most value in their careers.

By the time you get to draft day, the board should be pretty clean, especially in the first round. The guy ranked #17 on your board should be the guy you’ve determined is a better player for your team to draft than any player ranked below him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

The answer is, if you are building a board for a specific team, you should build everything into your rankings. You are trying to figure out how to allocate scarce resources, and all of those things are considerations you use to determine which player is likely to provide you the most value in their careers.

By the time you get to draft day, the board should be pretty clean, especially in the first round. The guy ranked #17 on your board should be the guy you’ve determined is a better player for your team to draft than any player ranked below him.

I see what you're saying. 

Needs can change though, and I think most team specific boards at least evolve from a BPA board.

For instance, If my board is created a month ago, and I base it on my needs, I may not have a center ranked in the first 3 rounds. 

If I only consider talent, I don't have to go back an re-rank Ceasar Ruiz and Matt Hennessy. I can just look at my board and see if there is a center ranked appropriately. 

Edited by DaBoys

49 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Hypthetically, Lee decides tomorrow that he wants to retire because ESPN gave him an offer too good to refuse. Does this change anything for you?

Everything that changes would change something for me, the question is to what degree. This would not suddenly make me excited about drafting a non-edge linebacker in the first round.

44 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I see what you're saying. 

Needs can change though, and I think most team specific boards at least evolve from a BPA board.

For instance, If my board is created a month ago, and I base it on my needs, I may not have a center ranked in the first 3 rounds. 

If I only consider talent, I don't have to go back an re-rank Ceasar Ruiz and Matt Hennessy. I can just look at my board and see if there is a center ranked appropriately. 

I completely agree with this. The first step in the process is/should be to get a really strong grasp of the talent regardless of need and any other factor. 

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Everything that changes would change something for me, the question is to what degree. This would not suddenly make me excited about drafting a non-edge linebacker in the first round.

Which is why I agree with @DaBoys - it is better to do a clean Big Board, absent of want and need, and then filter from there rather than re-assess at every new development.

But again, I should be very clear. Murrary won't excite me at 17. I think we are past first round grades and into the high-second tier.