2 Weeks Out Mock Draft

WindyCity

2[43] WR Jalen Reagor [TCU] 5'11" 206lbs

This season is going to come down to the offense taking a step. The offense needs to be better so that the team wins more and also so Nagy can prove that he is actually a decent offensive coach. Another bad season on offense and at a minimum I think he will be forced to give up play calling, if he and Pace are retained. The offense has not had any significant talent upgrades made this offseason and they have to come from the draft. The Bears need speed and YAC ability in the receiving core, part of that is on 10, but it is also on the WRs. Reagor is a YAC machine and a big play threat. He bulked up and ran slower at the combine, which is great for the Bears as he should fall to them, get back below 200lbs and get back into the 4.3s.

5e6a3439e30c4.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[50] to the Baltimore Ravens for 2[60], 4[128], 4[134].

2[60] OT/OG Robert Hunt [Louisiana] 6'5" 323lbs,

The Bears need someone to compete at RG and who offers some upside that can take the line from average to better than that. Hunt is a versatile RT who can move inside to RG. Hunt has the size and nastiness that could make him a centerpiece to the run game. Hunt could be a long term option at RT, but he has the physical tools to be a Pro Bowl RG.

FB_Web_71.jpg?preset=large.socialmediaimage

4[128] S J.R Reed [Georgia] 6'1" 202lbs, 4.54 [40], 15 reps, 34" vert, 10'10" broad

The Bear are taking a volume approach to the safety position and they should continue to add to the spot and give themselves the maximum number of options in camp. Reed fills a need as well as takes care of Ryan Pace's need to draft someone from Georgia. He is productive, 54 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT, 7 PD and can likely play both safety spots.

JRReed_2019_1.jpg?itok=WYcLyVKB

4[134] QB James Morgan [Florida International] 6'4" 229lbs.

The Bears need to add a developmental swing at QB and Morgan has the tools they are looking for. He has experience in both a spread and pro style offense. He has a strong arm and can operate from the pocket. He gets a year to sit and develop before anything is expected of him.

1185074783-e1586089666735.jpeg?quality=65&strip=all&w=780

5[163] OT Charlie Heck [UNC] 6'8" 311lbs, 34" arms, 5.16 [40], 21 reps, 28" vert

Charlie Heck is a versatile OT who has played LT and RT while at UNC. He has great size for the position, solid athletic ability, and comes from NFL bloodlines as his dad was a 1st round pick and is currently the OL coach for the Chiefs. Nagy knows Heck well as he coached with his dad for 5 years. Heck fills a need for the Bears as the swing OT and someone who can compete at OT. In the NFL he seems like more of a RT, but there are tools here to work with.

6_7644401.jpg

6[196] TE Nigel Kilby [Southern Illinois] 6'8" 254lbs, 4.72 [40], 18 reps, 34.5" vert, 10'6" broad

The Bears need to take a swing at developing a TE and Kirby is a local product that the Bears got an up close look at before the Pro Days were shut down. Kilby is a gigantic, athletic TE who is in need of a ton of developmental work. The Bears do not need him in 2019, this is about trying to make him into something in 2020.

VRkeFEIj_400x400.jpg

6[202] OLB Jonathan Garvin [Miami] 6'4" 263lbs, 34" arms, 4.82 [40], 23 reps, 36" vert, 10'5" broad

The Bears should add a developmental pass rusher and they should add someone with more size and power than Mingo. Garvin has the size, arm length, and power that the Bears do not have in the backup OLBs. While his 40 was not exceptional, his jumps and explosive numbers were NFL level athletic. Garvin had 5 sacks in both of the last 2 season and has some tools to develop.

gettyimages-1075422064-594x594.jpg

7[226] LB Cameron Brown [Penn St] 6'5" 232lbs, 4.72, 16 reps, 35.5" vert, 10'3" broad

Pace likes to double dip, he has some inside information from Penn State, and he needs to add more to the LB core. Brown is a big, long, athletic LB, that is so raw and positionless that the Bears are taking a major developmental swing. Brown should move to OLB and work on his pass rush, which he has flashed before, as he fills out his frame. At a minimum he can probably make the team as a swing backup and core special teams player.

bmartin_nfl-draft_dallas-cowboys-2020-7-round-mock-draft-post-nfl-combine-edition-2.jpg?resize=662%2C464&ssl=1

7[233] RB Reggie Corbin [Illinois] 5'10" 200lbs.

This was a surprising non-combine invite and someone that Shane Toub worked with at Illinois. Corbin would add some speed to the backfield, with better size than Cohen, he could take over as RB2 and someone who can take some carries away from Montgomery and keep the Bears from grinding him into the ground. Corbin has the long speed that Montgomery does not.

USATSI_11589194-718x490.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Trubisky, Foles, Morgan
RB: Montgomary, Cohen, Corbin, Holtz
WR: Robinson, Miller, Reagor, Ridley, Wima, Patterson
TE: Graham, Burton, Harris, Kilby, Horsted
LT: Leno
LG: Daniels, Bars
C: Whitehair
RG: Ifedi/Hunt
RT: Massie, Heck

RE: Nichols, RRH
NT: Goldman, Anderson
LE: Hicks, Urban
OLB: Quinn, Mingo
ILB: Smith, Woods
ILB: Trevathan, Iggy, Brown
OLB: Mack, Irving, Garvin
CB: Fuller, Toliver, Roberson, Burns, Skrine, Shelley
FS: Jackson, Reed
SS: Bush, Lucas/DHC

K: Piniero
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

I actually really like this mock.  If we get Reagor and Hunt I might have to change my pants.  I like the depth you added with Heck and Reed.  Very solid.

100% agree

57 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Nice mock. Plausible, too. 

Only thing not plausible is getting a 2 and two 4's for #50, but even if it was for a 2, 4 and 5, I'd be down for it. 

Good work @WindyCity

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Only thing not plausible is getting a 2 and two 4's for #50 but even if it was for a 2, 4 and 5, I'd be down for it. 

Good work @WindyCity

Ehh, depends who's there. It's unlikely, but I wouldn't call it implausible. I'm not sure Heck will be there in the fifth, either, but that's kind of a nitpick--and again, depends on who falls and how things shake out. 

I'd be pretty satisfied with the draft overall.

My only two caveats are:

1. Reagor... because he's the WR/Weapon I'm most "on the fence about" right now pre draft.... and I can't really decide one way or another whether I like him, or think he's a likely bust. He's hard to evaluate because his QB was positively wretched (something like 33% of the passes thrown his way where deemed completely uncatchable), and his slower than expected combine 40 and 3 cone times where because he reportedly put on weight pre combine (and despite that he still had ELITE level explosion numbers jumping). He's one of those guys where I feel like there can be a solid case made both for and against him.

2. Corbin.... This is admittedly mostly bias, but UofI is has been such an embarassing dumpster fire that I struggle getting behind the possibility of letting even one of their players near my team.  Regarding him specifically, he's a smaller scat back type without  a proven history of catching.

49 minutes ago, Epyon said:

2. Corbin.... This is admittedly mostly bias, but UofI is has been such an embarassing dumpster fire that I struggle getting behind the possibility of letting even one of their players near my team.  Regarding him specifically, he's a smaller scat back type without  a proven history of catching.

Seventh round, though?

I mean, c'mon...

8 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

We could certainly do alot worse !  Hunt seems to have solid potential, would be a very nice piece...

I hope all of the RBs are there at 43 and we go that direction

Whether we need an RB at #43, or not, we simply CAN'T take one there...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Whether we need an RB at #43, or not, we simply CAN'T take one there...

I'm not sold on Monty but I've got to agree. Also fwiw I like Etienne more than any back from this class right now. There's good talent, and maybe even potential for greatness, but it's not like "omg must have" talent like a Barkley. Then again that might be more as a result of the top 3-4 all feeling pretty close from my limited scouting of the position. 

Regardless just the optics of us taking Monty last year, followed by him fighting like a mad man for every yard despite being constantly met in the backfield because of atrocious blocking, and then essentially scapegoating him by drafting a replacement already, would make Pace look less than competent at his job. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Epyon said:

I'm not sold on Monty but I've got to agree. Also fwiw I like Etienne more than any back from this class right now. There's good talent, and maybe even potential for greatness, but it's not like "omg must have" talent like a Barkley. Then again that might be more as a result of the top 3-4 all feeling pretty close from my limited scouting of the position. 

Regardless just the optics of us taking Monty last year, followed by him fighting like a mad man for every yard despite being constantly met in the backfield because of atrocious blocking, and then essentially scapegoating him by drafting a replacement already, would make Pace look less than competent at his job. 

Etienne isn't in this draft