Who Don't You Want at #30

Redt

For me Austin Jackson, guy got beat like a drum every time he played against what will be NFL rusher's.

His upside, he is young and checks all of the physical boxes, but in my eyes he just doesn't have what it takes.

I literally don't even care what position it is at 30th overall.  Literally.

The further you get past 24th overall, the less positional value factors into it. 

We could go IOL, TE, WR, ILB and I wouldn't care at all. 

I just want a player who will have an impact in their rookie season.  Therefore, I value almost all positions above QB and TE since tight ends have historically the slowest curve to their pro careers and a QB wouldn't see the field (knock on wood).  Next would be WR. 

Still, I wouldn't be upset.  A first round WR in this class probably has a minimum of 50 receptions, even with Rodgers.  They're that good.

TE would probably contribute about 30 catches with Rodgers, and that's generous. 

If I had to rank which positions I want:

1. IDL
2. OT
3. CB
4. ILB
5. WR
6. S
7. IOL
8. TE
9. EDGE
10. QB
11. RB (only because of their limited shelf life)
12. K
13. P

I guess it's right about where I'm always at operating under paying your QB as much as we're paying Rodgers with the obvious exception of EDGE being in the top 3 unless we just signed two good ones and drafted another with potential in the top 16 the previous year. 

It's just that this year, getting a week one contributor trumps positional value when you're picking 30th overall. 

If we're in-it-to-win-it, then we want someone to have an immediate impact. Right? 

The places that a rookie can have the biggest impact? (on this roster)  Not OT, not WR (cmon, ARod doesn't throw to rookies much) not TE.  So as much as we want to see some offensive help, it just won't matter if you want some splash out of our 1st round pick.  And chances go down with each round.

I'm starting to ignore positional value and am starting to crush on Queen.

Anyway, stay away from an offensive pick @30 unless it's Jefferson (or Jeudy, Ruggs or Lamb)

20 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It's just that this year, getting a week one contributor trumps positional value when you're picking 30th overall.

I'm not sure I agree with this. The interesting thing is I'm not sure I disagree with it either. 

I am about a career rather than one year and I do understand some positions take time (Kenny took until the very end of his rookie season until he began to shine and as Outpost said, some positions like TE and WR take time. However, one way to look at a first round pick is their production...............and good production in college is at least a + for when that player hits the NFL.

I'd like a DL in the first two round and I'd like a WR there as well - both positions need a better no.2. I was all about DL/WR in that order, but the value might be a little better the other way round. I guess when I'm sliding along Occam's razor and pushed to decide, I'll just about tilt towards career over first year, but equally I want to see that pick show production over potential (unlike 2019 pick #12 Gary, who I haven't given up on, but he was a classic potential over production pick).

My "no" positions at 30 (assuming no one unexpected falls, etc.) = QB, RB, TE, IOL, EDGE

No OT other than Jones (which wouldn't excite me but I'd get it) 

No IDL other than Blacklock 

No ILB other than Murray 

No S other than Winfield

Multiple guys I'd be good with at WR and CB. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

Reagor, Love, and anything weird.

What's with the lack of love for Reagor? He's my No. 1 WR after Jefferson (assuming top 3 are gone). I think Reagor changes this offense overnight. Guy plays with Hill/AB potential on the outside with his release package. You can completely throw his agility times (and therefore his RAS) out the window, just watch his tape or read any scouting report about him and see the word "explosive" over and again. If you like Aiyuk, you should love Reagor, he's the better player. 

• Like 2