XFL Is No Longer Planning on Returning 2021

HoboRocket

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/xfl/story/_/id/29021347/xfl-suspends-operations-lays-employees-no-plans-return-2021%3fplatform=amp

The league did NOT hurt financially during the season. Its on-field product was pretty good. It was fully-funded through two seasons. However, it's fallen victim to the economic effects COVID-19 - having to pay back fans for half of the games this year and all of the games next year, they paid every player the maximum full-season salary since nobody was given the chance to meet the incentives, etc.

Tough love. I really, really liked it. Hopefully it'll return at some point, because they actually did it right this time. Did a good thing paying the players more than expected. But ultimately, that combined with having to pay back the fans for tickets sapped their funds from next season, so they have to fold.

• Like 9

One of the crappiest things about all of this, deaths aside, is the # of businesses that will inevitably fail for no reason of their own. This sucks for all involved because they rolled this out so well.  

Maybe someone else will pick it up but I can’t see Vince being involved again.  

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 7

Now, they made it clear that there IS a chance that it could resume operations for 2021. There is also already a buzz that several individuals/companies are interested in potentially investing in the XFL after how it was received this season; it could be a boon for the astute. The main concerns are that they don't have as much funding as they were projecting with all of the changes that had to be made due to COVID, they were hurt by a shortened season, and they don't really have the resources necessary to bring in more players. They rely heavily on Combines and mass tryouts that will no longer be possible due to health conditions. If this can clear up quickly enough, it could return. But it's very unlikely, and it could be done for good unless the NFL season is able to go on schedule to at least give the XFL a potential for training camp cuts and early scouting work to be done for a 2022 season.

Disappointing news. I hope to see them back in some capacity next year, whether or not Vince is part of the equation. Although the XFL season was cut short, it was lots of fun to be a part of, and I'll be watching the games again for years to come.

iRqNUcy.jpg

r1WWaAC.jpg

M4dwKIK.jpg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HoboRocket said:

Guys, guys, guys. None of those teams made the Super Bowl last year. Let's sell high on the 49ers before it's too late. @N4L and @Forge can come to the Cardinals, who inherit Nick Bosa. 

you already had your opportunity to get babybosa - and like the seahawks at the goal line in the superbowl, you passed!

• Like 8

Very disappointing. More than anything in my opinion, the XFL mastered their marketing and brand awareness by embodying a really fun atmosphere, contrary to the No Fun League. It was the perfect deployment strategy and whoever thought of it deserves a lot of credit. 

The Dragons uniforms and such were absolutely dreadful, but I'll never forget attending the home opener and I'll be rooting for them to make a comeback. 

• Like 1