The What If Mock

rampantjet

So this isn't a mock to debate whether we SHOULD trade Jamal, this is a mock to see what our draft could look like IF we traded Jamal.  So keep the SHOULD we trade Jamal debate to a minimum, it's been had at length other places.  

In this mock we accept a deal from Dallas Dallas sends us #17, #51, and a conditional pick next year for Jamal Adams.  

Remaining FA:  

Prince Amukamara- It just makes sense.  Gives us to vets for reasonable money.

Draft:

#11: Jedrick Wills OT-  We get my OT1 here at 11.  He can lock down the right side for years to come, and if Fant doesn't cut it at LT I have full confidence that he can move over there.  

#17:  Denzel Mims WR-  Guy can just flat out ball.  He showed out running a far more diverse route tree at the senior bowl than he was asked to at Baylor.  He has a huge catch radius, is good after the catch, and is a freak athlete. 

#48:  Brandon Aiyuk WR-  This should pretty much finish out our WR corps.  Kid is great after the catch and has a great catch radius due to having vines for arms.  We now have a WR corps of Mims, Aiyuk, Crowder, Perriman, Doctson, and Smith.  Looks good to me with tons of upside.  

#51:  Jeremy Chinn S-  Big super athlete.  6'3" 220 ran a 4.42 and jumped out of the gym.  Kid hits, is fluid and has good ball skills.  It would be silly to expect him to completely replace Jamal, but I think he can do some of the same things when it comes to blitzing or matching up against a TE.  Also the kid is Steve Atwater's nephew.... how could we go wrong?

#68:  Bryce Hall CB-  A really nice zone CB who can play some man.  Having Amukamara, Desir, and Poole gives him a year to develop.  The hope here is that we don't have to spend money on bringing back a CB next year since Prince and Desir are on 1 year deals.  

#79:  Ben Bartch OT-  Small school kid who people were cautiously optimistic on until the senior bowl when he didn't just look like he belonged he was dominating some guys.  He can probably develop into a quality OT at the next level but is a bit short on arm length.  Already has the strength though to compete in the NFL.  He might be helped by moving inside at the next level and he could really fit what we want in a OG.  

#120:  Anthony McFarland RB-  Foot in the ground and go 0-60 to the house.  Limited touches in college which is actually a good thing should have tons of tread on the tire.  

Jets trade up, trading #158, and Avery Williamson to the Eagles for #127

#127:  Alex Highsmith EDGE-  Small school guy who put up 14 sacks last year.  Has a crazy high motor and enough athleticism to be worth developing.  

#191:  Joshua Kelley RB-  Time to get some more fresh legs for when Bell leaves next year.  I really liked what i saw out of this kid at the senior bowl.  He surprised some with his 4;49 40 at the combine.  

#211:  Alex Taylor OT-  Always gonna be a great flier here length movement skills, just needs some time on the practice squad to see if he can turn into anything.  

41 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Jamal for Denzel Mims/Jeremy Chinn?? I'm all set. 

Would have to include Smith/Martin for me to consider it. 

completely missed the point of this but ok.  We'd be getting a fairly early round pick next year too, and we wouldn't have to pay a safety 18 mill a year or whatever he is going to want.  But ya this wasn't really supposed to be about whether or not people wanted to trade him.  

It’s an interesting idea but a hard pass for me. 
Any trade in involving Jamal has to really turn this franchise in a different direction otherwise there’s no point.
Getting back a 1st and 2nd rounder (which isn’t enough imo) would be counterproductive to then use one of those picks on a safety. 

In your scenario it makes much more sense to draft Wills at #11 and then if you really want Mims then trade back into the end of the 1st round/top of round 2 and go get him. That way you could maybe have a combo of Wills, Chaisson and Mims. That’s a different way of attaching it. Not drafting a safety which no offense to the dude but won’t be Jamal. 

The idea of paying Jamal doesn’t bother me as JD has proven he’s not going to attack FA like other GM’s in the past so we will have plenty of money to resign guys of our own that earn it. 

Edited by xenajets

This what if scenario shows why we shouldn’t trade Jamal for draft picks. I can’t see us getting more than a 1st and a 2nd. And even with that and a deep draft, we still don’t get back players I’d be more excited about compared to just having Jamal.

Good exercise though. If we trade Jamal for draft capital, I’ll be disappointed. It has to be for a player if it’s going to make sense for us.

Keeping with the what if idea, how would people fill trading Jamal for Gallup?

Edited by SDotNova

28 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

This what if scenario shows why we shouldn’t trade Jamal for draft picks. I can’t see us getting more than a 1st and a 2nd. And even with that and a deep draft, we still don’t get back players I’d be more excited about compared to just having Jamal.

Good exercise though. If we trade Jamal for draft capital, I’ll be disappointed. It has to be for a player if it’s going to make sense for us.

Keeping with the what if idea, how would people fill trading Jamal for Gallup?

Just straight up for Gallup?  No thanks.   I'd rather trade him fur draft capital.   In large part it comes down to money.   Jamal is going to demand tons of money soon.   I think he's a great player but I still question his worth.   

I wouldn't trade Jamal, because he's a great leader on and off the field, elite player, and I think it's safe to say he's a fan favorite. That said, it's pretty obvious that doesn't play a premier position on defense (Pass rusher, corner, center fielder at FS), so I would be okay if they did trade him, but it would have to be a 1, 2, 3 this year or a 1 and two 2's.  That said, I'd probably take Jeudy with our pick if the tackles were gone, then trade Dallas's  to like mid twenties and try and get a late 1 and a 2 or two high twos and a 3 and stack the O-line (guys like Ezra Cleveland, Josh Jones, Cesar Ruiz) and then get a corner/safety (like a Terrell, Jaylon Johnson, Igbunoghene, Chinn, Dugger, Dantzler types). That said I've always advocated for wanting to get Wills, Pittman, and Hall. So I like the idea of Wills and Hall, personally rather have Pittman over Mims