Pick a Position: ROUND 1

Shanedorf

Pick a Position: Round 1   

49 members have voted

1. 1. Dream Scenario: Assume there are highly regarded & equally talented players available at every position - which position are YOU selecting in ROUND 1

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/20/2020 at 11:20 PM

The position I most want filled with an upgrade is DL, but endless mock drafts suggest I'd get slightly more value going WR then DT than the other way round, so I chose WR. I wouldn't balk at WR/OT either, but I'd miss not having a DT upgrade early.

My ideal is probably WR/DT/OT/ILB with the first four picks.

I did just do (yet another) draftnetwork mock, one where I got a D lineman first (Epenesa is often available).
1) Edge Epenesa  Blacklock, Mims and Reagor were all still on the board
2) WR Aiyuk Peoples-Jones was still there
3) OT Bartch.  OT Niang goes as early as 66 sometimes, but he has dropped to 92 on the odd occasion. Saahdiq Charles is there fairly often but I prefer Bartch.
4) ILB Markus Bailey Batchie is often there, but I prefer Bailey.
5) S Tanner Muse a 230lb safety (a good hybrid safety/coverage linebacker) who I chose over a huge IOL I also like, Yasir Durant.

the rest of the draft features my regular favourites.........
6) CB Nevelle Clarke
6) G Gage Cervenka raw but powerful - developmental only
6) OT Jon Runyan ..........another developmental guy
7) RB JaMycal Hasty (my frequent joystick RB pick, Reggie Corbin, is gone).
7) WR Jeff Thomas a diminutive jitterbug, a different look for the Packers.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

Im going DL in Round 1. I dont think the slight value you get from going WR in Round 1 makes up for the complete drop off in talent if you went DL round 2 or 3. This is a STACKED WR class, no way I adress it in Round 1. I take advantage of the depth. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick_gb said:

Im going DL in Round 1. I dont think the slight value you get from going WR in Round 1 makes up for the complete drop off in talent if you went DL round 2 or 3. This is a STACKED WR class, no way I adress it in Round 1. I take advantage of the depth. 

It is stacked at WR , but looking at something like Epenesa or Blacklock in the first, then Aiyuk or Peoples-Jones in the second, would it be any better than MIms/Reagor in the first and Madubuike/R.Davis/D.Hamilton/J.Elliott in the 2nd ?

I went OT, but could have just as easily gone DT. I watched the 2015 Giants playoff game yesterday and saw a different QB for us back then. Do we get that guy if we have a load of WR talent like that team had? I"m warming to the idea of a WR at 30 if one drops, but that seems unlikely. I think we can get one in round 2 or 3.

Ideally, we'd trade out of round 1 for something around 10 - 15 in the second and third. Then we could get a DT, OT and WR by early round 3 and grab a ILB or IOL with our 3rd pick. I think we're 1 pick short of getting quality at all three positions by the 94th pick in the draft. Atlanta's picks work out to about the same value. That would give us 47, 60, 78, 94. 

50 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I went OT, but could have just as easily gone DT. I watched the 2015 Giants playoff game yesterday and saw a different QB for us back then. Do we get that guy if we have a load of WR talent like that team had? I"m warming to the idea of a WR at 30 if one drops, but that seems unlikely. I think we can get one in round 2 or 3.

Ideally, we'd trade out of round 1 for something around 10 - 15 in the second and third. Then we could get a DT, OT and WR by early round 3 and grab a ILB or IOL with our 3rd pick. I think we're 1 pick short of getting quality at all three positions by the 94th pick in the draft. Atlanta's picks work out to about the same value. That would give us 47, 60, 78, 94. 

If I were Atlanta I would be very reluctant to give up both my 2nd and 3rd for that. More realistic (imo) is a trade down with Miami (who move up from #39 to #30, getting their 4th 1st round pick) for a swap of 3rd round picks. Miami gets the Packers pick #30 and their 3rd rounder (pick #96), while the Packers get #39 and #70 (and keep #62). The reason it makes sense for Atlanta is that they don't lose having a 3rd rounder, it just comes late in the round now, quite important for them, as their 4th rounder is a late one (a comp pick), so it isn't too far between picks.

The only other trade I could see was with Cincy. Packers move down three spots to #33 and swap 4th rounders (which would mean the Packers have the first pick on day 3 (pick #107 instead of #136). Again, Cincy is not losing a 4th, it's just that with the trade, it's much later in the round than it was.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

Assuming that these are good players but not superstars:

I am taking the OT.  It gives insurance for Wagner getting (re)injured or if things go south for a Bakhtiari extension.  Our current tackle depth is a bunch of UDFAs and maybe Turner can play there.  It is a tough decision because I have been saying we need a DL all off season.  But, if we can get a good long-term starting tackle, we should take him and not think too hard about it.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If I were Atlanta I would be very reluctant to give up both my 2nd and 3rd for that. More realistic (imo) is a trade down with Miami (who move up from #39 to #30, getting their 4th 1st round pick) for a swap of 3rd round picks. Miami gets the Packers pick #30 and their 3rd rounder (pick #96), while the Packers get #39 and #70 (and keep #62). The reason it makes sense for Atlanta is that they don't lose having a 3rd rounder, it just comes late in the round now, quite important for them, as their 4th rounder is a late one (a comp pick), so it isn't too far between picks.

The only other trade I could see was with Cincy. Packers move down three spots to #33 and swap 4th rounders (which would mean the Packers have the first pick on day 3 (pick #107 instead of #136). Again, Cincy is not losing a 4th, it's just that with the trade, it's much later in the round than it was.

The point value of the Atlanta trade is a 10 point difference. It's a hypothetical situation, but giving up an additional 10 points in value for a guy they may really want is not too much. So as far as realistic vs. unrealistic, we see what amounts to unrealistic trades every draft. Not to mention some of the stupid moves we've seen this off season. 

Again, my intent was to get into the mid to late 70's with an additional pick to get a player at the the most pressing positions: OT, DL and WR. In no particular order. 

Just my opinion and I respect you have a different take on it. I'm not overly fond of your proposals because it doesn't get us in the mid to late 70's with an additional pick. 

2 hours ago, Golfman said:

Going from 30 to 47 is likely going to lead to the Packers missing out on a tier of players.  Are you willing to go from Blacklock/Jones/Mims to Madubuike/Wanogho/Aiyuk?  More picks isn't necessarily better.   Higher quality picks are key.  My dream scenario would be dealing our FRP, SRP, and 4th to Indianapolis for their pair of 2nds, but that seems far-fetched at best.  Maybe something like 1st/4th for a 2nd/3rd swap?

57 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Going from 30 to 47 is likely going to lead to the Packers missing out on a tier of players.  Are you willing to go from Blacklock/Jones/Mims to Madubuike/Wanogho/Aiyuk?  More picks isn't necessarily better.   Higher quality picks are key.  My dream scenario would be dealing our FRP, SRP, and 4th to Indianapolis for their pair of 2nds, but that seems far-fetched at best.  Maybe something like 1st/4th for a 2nd/3rd swap?

IMO, the board at 30 is not going to look very friendly to what we need (WR, DL, OT). I think there is a ton of value and not much difference between 30 - 47 with what will be left at those positions.So if I can score an extra pick in the top 80 it makes sense. Not overly fond of Mims and don't think Jones is going to be there. 

This is all hypothetical until we see who is there at 30. I've seen draft expert say after the top 4 guys, do not pick WR in round 1, wait until 2 or 3 and get a similar guy at better value. 

I tend to agree the board probably doesn’t look great at 30 and I’m hopeful a team needing a QB want back in to get that 5th year option. I’d like to go big or hope Jefferson is still there. Most of that next tier of WRs look similar to me and if we could gain an extra player or pick I’d gladly trade back 5-10 spots or so. Also thinking out loud is this a year to trade for future picks since we haven’t been able to scout as much? If you move back and the chart says a 3R maybe get a 2nd next year. It might not be a great year to have a ton of picks but then again you have more bites at the apple and everyone is in the same boat. 

1 hour ago, Golfman said:

IMO, the board at 30 is not going to look very friendly to what we need (WR, DL, OT). I think there is a ton of value and not much difference between 30 - 47 with what will be left at those positions.So if I can score an extra pick in the top 80 it makes sense. Not overly fond of Mims and don't think Jones is going to be there. 

This is all hypothetical until we see who is there at 30. I've seen draft expert say after the top 4 guys, do not pick WR in round 1, wait until 2 or 3 and get a similar guy at better value. 

I'd disagree.  I think you're going to see at least one OT on the board of value.  I think the big 4 (Wirfs, Willis, Becton, and Thomas) are likely long gone.  I'm hopeful Josh Jones will be available.  If not, I'd imagine Austin Jackson or Lucas Niang will be available.  Only really seeing two DTs for sure off the board before the Packers pick with Brown and Kinlaw.  And there's a ton of WR talent in this draft.  I don't believe for a second that one won't be of value at 30.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I'd disagree.  I think you're going to see at least one OT on the board of value.  I think the big 4 (Wirfs, Willis, Becton, and Thomas) are likely long gone.  I'm hopeful Josh Jones will be available.  If not, I'd imagine Austin Jackson or Lucas Niang will be available.  Only really seeing two DTs for sure off the board before the Packers pick with Brown and Kinlaw.  And there's a ton of WR talent in this draft.  I don't believe for a second that one won't be of value at 30.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. Not sure I'd be reaching for OT. I can see Jones, but not sure Jackson or Niang are worthy of the 30th pick. Again, I also believe you can get same talent mid-round 2 if you think guys like Niang are first round worthy.