Jrry32 Post-Cooks Trade Mock Draft (04/11/2020)

jrry32

3 hours ago, The LBC said:

What are we defining as "making sense" though.  Because logic would suggest that the team isn't going to just write off guys that they recently acquired (within the past 2 years) and certainly not in a wholesale manner.

Right now we have Noteboom, Edwards, Allen, Corbett, Evans, and Demby who we've all invested draft assets either in the actual last two drafts or in trade in the last year.  We also have Blythe and Whit who we just issued fresh contracts to (albeit Blythe's is a one-year deal, so that bears consideration).  Throw in Havenstein still on the books and that's 9 OL right there (we have more under contract currently, as teams normally do going into a season and before cuts to a final roster) and we're pretty much at the number of OL we carried on the active roster last season already; I don't think we ever carried more than 10 active.  So if we're looking at logic, logic suggests that what makes sense in the context we're in is if we're drafting an OL it's likely 1 guy, and based off the spread of positions and players capable of playing various positions on the roster, that player would likely either be a center-capable player (and that's if they're willing to write off Allen entirely or view Blythe as a RG-only and a stop-gap only) or a developmental OT who could possibly also kick/develop into guard (not dissimilar to Noteboom), which is more of what we've seen in who we visited with (the likes of Matthew Peart).

Logic is not a game of number. We have 9 OL in the depht but how many are worth starting ?

If we have 4 OL worth starting and the 5 others are average at best, isn't it logical to find better players ? 1/2/3 players i don't care, what i want is an upgrade for this OL.

3 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

fans should start to realise that maybe mcvay doesn't believe the ol was the problem last year:
kromer kept all of his jobs, they brought back two starters.
gurley was cut, peete cut, qb coack got downgraded.

Ok so Gurley is your scapegoat for the issue on offense we have last year ?

15 minutes ago, Flounch said:

Logic is not a game of number. We have 9 OL in the depht but how many are worth starting ?

If we have 4 OL worth starting and the 5 others are average at best, isn't it logical to find better players ? 1/2/3 players i don't care, what i want is an upgrade for this OL.

They just listed the 9+ guys who were hand picked by this staff, and more importantly our Stud OL coach. 

I think we should probably let him put his OL together. Because that’s the thing about an OL, sure you can always find a more talented prospect, but do they fit into what you are building? You can have a decent OL with one Stud and patch work around that, it can even be good if you have a pair of studs. But the best OLs are the ones that are built with a vision and a cohesion with the full unit in mind. 

Sure, personally I like some of the lineman in this draft more than what we have, but it’s pretty obvious that guys like Evans and Edwards are the type of Lineman they want, and who work best in this scheme. Those aren’t studs, they are lunch pail guys, and that seems to be what we are building, especially without a 1st Rounder and out of range of those immediate impact studs. Not to mention, it’s going to be very hard for a rookie lineman to get up to speed fast enough with what will be an abbreviated pre-season at best

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

They just listed the 9+ guys who were hand picked by this staff, and more importantly our Stud OL coach. 

I think we should probably let him put his OL together. Because that’s the thing about an OL, sure you can always find a more talented prospect, but do they fit into what you are building? You can have a decent OL with one Stud and patch work around that, it can even be good if you have a pair of studs. But the best OLs are the ones that are built with a vision and a cohesion with the full unit in mind. 

Sure, personally I like some of the lineman in this draft more than what we have, but it’s pretty obvious that guys like Evans and Edwards are the type of Lineman they want, and who work best in this scheme. Those aren’t studs, they are lunch pail guys, and that seems to be what we are building, especially without a 1st Rounder and out of range of those immediate impact studs. Not to mention, it’s going to be very hard for a rookie lineman to get up to speed fast enough with what will be an abbreviated pre-season at best

People can make all the demands they want. They might be proven right in the end. But I'm going to be realistic with what I expect the Rams to do. I could see them giving up on Allen. I don't think that's anywhere close to guaranteed. But they're not going to give up on Noteboom, Evans, Edwards, and Havenstein too. So anybody expecting us to go HAM on OLs is likely to be disappointed. At best, I could see us drafting an OL on Day 2 and an OL later on Day 3. But I think the most likely scenario is us only drafting one OL. I get the feeling that we like what Edwards, Evans, Corbett, and Brewer bring to the table (and I think they still have high hopes for Noteboom when he returns from his injury). We have some veterans in Whit, Hav, and Blythe who have provided steady or better play in the past. I don't think the FO and coaches are as desperate as some of us. They think with time and development that they can solve the problem. They might be wrong. But that's the impression I get from the team's actions and words this off-season.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Flounch said:

"Worth" is a subjective term.  And, I hate to break it to you, but you are not the person whose determination of worth means a damn to the people who are making that determination.

What you appear to have wholly skipped over (I suspect because it goes entirely counter to "what you want") is that context matters.  Context doesn't care whether you like it or not, it simply exists.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

McVay recently did an interview that indicates they're content with what they have on the OL. Now, he's obviously not going to give everything away, but if you look at the numbers we have on the OL, odds are that we're only drafting one OL this year. We're likely to carry 9 at most. Check it out:

1. Whit

2. Hav

3. Edwards

4. Evans

5. Blythe

6. Corbett

7. Rookie

8. Brewer

9. Allen

PUP. Noteboom

10. Shelton

11. Demby (definitely gone)

The other big problem with what you're proposing is you can't just force picks if the value isn't there. If there's not an OL or ILB or EDGE who is good value at #52 or #57, you don't just pick one anyways. This ILB class has a massive void between the top 40 picks and the mid-third round.

I can also say that I was reading an article by ESPN Fantasy expert Matthew Berry when he was at the combine and he ran into a few people from the Rams organization and he came away with the impression of the Rams will focus heavily on the OL this offseason. Now they aready brought back Whitworth for more years than we expected and they brought back Blythe. I know they havent went out in the FA market or trade market to bring in someone from the outside but it doesnt mean they wont make it top priority in the draft. Who is to say they wont move on from Havenstein in terms of a trade during the draft? Like you have to keep that in mind. 

I do see what you are saying about what McVay said and we both agree the Rams arent going to give their true intentions away until it actually happen if/when it does. You are right about the Rams should not force a pick based on need but I was just pointing out that the OL and front seven are imo bigger needs. Again when it comes to the draft I wont question you on it because you are proven to be right but thats just how I feel when i comes to what I think the Rams should do. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

I can also say that I was reading an article by ESPN Fantasy expert Matthew Berry when he was at the combine and he ran into a few people from the Rams organization and he came away with the impression of the Rams will focus heavily on the OL this offseason. Now they aready brought back Whitworth for more years than we expected and they brought back Blythe. I know they havent went out in the FA market or trade market to bring in someone from the outside but it doesnt mean they wont make it top priority in the draft. Who is to say they wont move on from Havenstein in terms of a trade during the draft? Like you have to keep that in mind. 

I do see what you are saying about what McVay said and we both agree the Rams arent going to give their true intentions away until it actually happen if/when it does. You are right about the Rams should not force a pick based on need but I was just pointing out that the OL and front seven are imo bigger needs. Again when it comes to the draft I wont question you on it because you are proven to be right but thats just how I feel when i comes to what I think the Rams should do. 

Unfortunately, needs don't dictate value. You go with the flow of the draft or risk making bad picks. If there was a Dalton Risner in this class who was likely to be around at pick #39. Yeah, I'd have traded up and used that pick on Risner. But I haven't found that guy in this class. You have the first round OTs in this class. You have Ruiz who is looking more and more like a first rounder. And then you have a bunch of interior OLs and OTs who are likely to go in the 50 to 90 range. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The LBC said:

"Worth" is a subjective term.  And, I hate to break it to you, but you are not the person whose determination of worth means a damn to the people who are making that determination.

What you appear to have wholly skipped over (I suspect because it goes entirely counter to "what you want") is that context matters.  Context doesn't care whether you like it or not, it simply exists.

Oh really ? i thought the whole Rams organisation were reading my post in this forum, this make me sad. 

Of course i'm suggesting in my post what i want and what they should do. I'm not pretending to be a fortune teller and i don't know what they will do. 

I just hope they will upgrade OL and ILB with impact player in this draft, that's all.  

Edited by Flounch

18 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Unfortunately, needs don't dictate value. You go with the flow of the draft or risk making bad picks. If there was a Dalton Risner in this class who was likely to be around at pick #39. Yeah, I'd have traded up and used that pick on Risner. But I haven't found that guy in this class. You have the first round OTs in this class. You have Ruiz who is looking more and more like a first rounder. And then you have a bunch of interior OLs and OTs who are likely to go in the 50 to 90 range. 

Yep.  A lot may really depend on who falls that isn't expected to.  Not that I expect it to be a likely scenario, but say Austin Jackson falls to where we're picking the 2nd, I could see a decision being made to grab him even if he likely wouldn't be unseating either Whitworth or Havenstein this season, because we're going to be at a point where having young starters on rookie deals at particular positions that command high-dollar 2nd contracts will likely need to be prioritized. We've seen what the new CBA is offering and there is no mystery involved anymore as to "how much" it will increase in the future... at least for another 10 years.  You and I have already been over how the EDGE class this year is lackluster; that would be one of the positions where we're going to likely need to be identifying (if not this year then in near-future years) getting that viable rusher on a rookie deal.

We already have one premium position on a premium 2nd contract, we're on the verge of putting another on the books in Ramsey, and while I don't see WR as quite as premium as certain other ones (QB, CB, EDGE, CB), Kupp's gonna get paid damn well.  Then we've got AD who is currently getting the EDGE premium right now, deservedly so, but IMO the best way to parlay doing that with him long-term is to keep taking bites of the developmental EDGE apple, even if it means not always having that guy on  the roster more than 3 or so seasons.  Similar in nature to how we'd thought we'd be able to do with rehabbing Bortles through McVay.  We know that AD makes any edge-rusher's job easier.  We also know that the premium on EDGE guys, even ones expecting to get paid fat starts at R2 picks minimum.  That can be a pretty sustainable model.

• Like 2