Which teams will be the biggest risers and fallers in 2020?

notthatbluestuff

12 hours ago, Elky said:

You guys are really underestimating Bill Belichick; the man is 15-6 without Brady since 2001.

You had Moss and Welker in those games though.  Who do you have at the receiver position now that is comparable to take up the slack?

BB is the GOAT, no doubt about it, but as others have said, I think it will take a year or two to reload.  It wouldn't surprise me if he made me look foolish for saying it.  You would think I'd know better after all these years. 

Edited by Uncle Buck
  • Like 2

Yeah, we will drop off. We were, what, 4 and 5 in the final stretch? That's who we are. 

^^^  

Miami - 5 wins to 7

Cleveland - 6 wins to 9

Cincinatti - 2 wins to 5

Tennessee - 9 wins to 11

NYG - 4 wins to 7

Arizona - 5 wins to 7

TB - 7 wins to 10

vvv

New England - 12 wins to 8

Baltimore - 14 wins to 12 (but still mostly unplayable)

Houston - 10 wins to 8

LAR - 9 wins to 7

The rest either the same, or 1 W/L either side. 

The above should not be taken as anything else other than a loose prediction. 

There aren't enough games in an NFL seasons to purely use wins and losses as rises and falls. Like if Baltimore only wins 11 games next season, but then win a playoff game is that really a fall even though they technically won less games? Texans could win more games, but if they lose in the first round again is that really a rise?

San Fran and Vikings are my NFC picks to fall. Eagles and Seahawks are my picks to rise.

Titans and Bills are my AFC Picks to fall. Ravens and Dolphins are my picks to rise.

49 minutes ago, Malik said:

There aren't enough games in an NFL seasons to purely use wins and losses as rises and falls. Like if Baltimore only wins 11 games next season, but then win a playoff game is that really a fall even though they technically won less games? Texans could win more games, but if they lose in the first round again is that really a rise?

11 wins and then a single playoff win by itself? That in all likelihood means a wild card win advancing to the divisional round, their same stage as the previous year. If they lost again at that stage, yes I would consider it a less successful season overall. Regardless, these "risers and fallers" kinds of things usually only refer to the regular season anyway. 

16 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm going to jump into this piecemeal.

First question--why does pretty much everybody list Green Bay as a team that will regress? Seems weird. 

GB had an expected win score of just under 10-6, and went 9-1 in one-score games (for my purposes, an 8 pt margin). Usually an expected win score is more indicative of how good a team is than W-L record, and usually one-score games are a 50/50 proposition. So both of those indicate that, all things being equal, GB was 3-4 games above where they "should" have finished. 

I am a GB fan, but last year the Packers definitely had a horseshoe up their butt. Their expected regression is more like they go from 13-3 with a first round bye to being a 10-6/11-5 team. So yes, it's a regression, but not a falling off the earth. If they repeat a 13-3 season, I'll be thrilled. 

Risers

Steelers, Cards and Rams

Losers

Vikings, Ravens and Chiefs

Steelers are Rams will win more games based off their easier schedule and strong rosters, cardinals will take that next step.

Ravens and Chiefs set the bar high for themselves. Especially the Chiefs, gonna be hard to win back to back rings. Not saying it can't be done but its gonna be hard.

Then the Vikings lost a ton of people...they need to nail this draft and get at least 5 starters from it....not easy at all. Especially that secondary looks very very bad atm.

4 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

GB had an expected win score of just under 10-6, and went 9-1 in one-score games (for my purposes, an 8 pt margin). Usually an expected win score is more indicative of how good a team is than W-L record, and usually one-score games are a 50/50 proposition. So both of those indicate that, all things being equal, GB was 3-4 games above where they "should" have finished. 

I am a GB fan, but last year the Packers definitely had a horseshoe up their butt. Their expected regression is more like they go from 13-3 with a first round bye to being a 10-6/11-5 team. So yes, it's a regression, but not a falling off the earth. If they repeat a 13-3 season, I'll be thrilled. 

You could be right about all that. Your reasoning is certainly sound. I still fail to see how that makes them one of the "biggest fallers" though. 

5 hours ago, Mr Bad Example said:

The Packers beat the Lions twice last year and had the lead for a combined total of 0:00 in both games, haha.

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

You could be right about all that. Your reasoning is certainly sound. I still fail to see how that makes them one of the "biggest fallers" though. 

Like I said, probably not one of the biggest, but they should fall off by a few games. Even if they're  a better team. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Like I said, probably not one of the biggest, but they should fall off by a few games. Even if they're  a better team. 

I guess my beef is with the others at the beginning of the thread, and not you. I simply don't see the Packers as a "biggest faller". And I say that expecting the Bears will be loads better next season (if there IS one)...