Cam Newton

El Ramster

I'd say his biggest drawback is his attitude. 

He been called superman so many times it's gone to his head. Guys like this always have a somewhat overinflated ego. So they get by on raw natural talent. And refuse to put in the REAL work to get better. Common with guys who have the most physical talent. 

• Like 1

Watching Cam play after 2015 reminds me of a running back who just came off a career year where he had 400 carries.  He's never the same after that.  I don't think Cam will ever return to his 2015 form.  :(

It would help if he could get someone who could get behind defenses as effectively as Ted Ginn Jr. did.

8 hours ago, DutchFalcon said:

The issue with Cam is for a great deal mental. If the Panthers are winning games because of him and the pundits are heaping their praise on him then Cam plays like an unstoppable force of nature. When things start to deviate from that path ever so slightly he turns into a sulking child. 

He reminds me of Vick in ways that he'd be a lot better if he'd spend more time honing his craft instead of using his elite athleticism as a crutch. 

Or he played with a bum shoulder for most of last season and is right now a bit rusty from not practicing much during the offseason.

Edited by everlong
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

I remember that fluke season.   He played over his head and the Panthers leaned on the classic, Flacco, "QB closes his eyes, defense acts like a moron and don't protect deep against a QB who can't lead a methodical drive, throw it up deep" offense.  I knew he'd get exposed against the Broncos because they weren't complete idiots and gave huge chunk plays away which inexplicably happened every week for the Panthers.   That defense was legit, but the offense and Cam were paper tigers.   The OL, Cam, and that WR corps played over their heads/teams gave away games to them.

They also got to play the worst defense in NFL history twice that season.

43 minutes ago, cant think of 1 said:

He did it on a play where he got a first down along with his first down celebration last week I think

You're right! Say, this might become 2015 all over again! 15-and-1, 35 TD's, all the way to the Super Bowl......

Image result for Jitterbug dance

Cam seems to be in the group of players that either gets hugely overrated when doing well and has endless excuses made for him when he isnt OR gets absolutely hated on for not being constantly elite.....when the truth is, he is somewhere in the middle.     He is a highly gifted player with the tools to be elite at times, but lacks the consistency (especially in his passing) to ever be truly great for more than a stretch.    Its why I just laughed when everyone was putting him top 3 at QB after his amazing 2015 season, because he had never ever shown the consistency for anyone to come to the logical conclusion that he would continue to be a great passer.     Again, he can have elite games and even an elite season....but his shortcomings as a passer will always hold him back.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, everlong said:

Or he played with a bum shoulder for most of last season and is right now a bit rusty from not practicing much during the offseason.

As a Falcon's fan I've been watching Cam a hell of a lot longer then just their SB season. My comment wasn't about the contract between two seasons ago and last season. It was talking about his career in general. 

Edited by DutchFalcon

Getting rid of Newton would be dumb. Like someone else said Panthers just have to lean on him until his athleticism fails and/or he gets better as a passer. I think the PFF podcast put it best a week ago when they mentioned he is never going to be that high percentage passer that excels on short throws. But clearly Newton does excel when he makes plays with his feet more than anyone else. Btw, Panthers need some quality pass catchers to help him out.

But getting rid of him? No. I'm sure Panthers fans don't want to go back to the days of Jimmy Clausen.

18 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

He been called superman so many times it's gone to his head. Guys like this always have a somewhat overinflated ego. So they get by on raw natural talent. And refuse to put in the REAL work to get better. Common with guys who have the most physical talent. 

Cam isn't nearly as arrogant as some of you seem to think. If you actually listen to him talk, he's actually very humble. Just because he celebrates and has fun doesn't mean he isn't aware of his issues. He blames himself every time he has a bad game. And he's always had amazing work ethic - it's one of the things he was most praised for back at Auburn. Seems like you are just making stuff up.

15 hours ago, tonyto36 said:

I was a bit salty because I didn't think they deserved 16-0 and wanted them to lose so the memory has stuck.

What? How does that even make sense? If they had made it to 16-0, how would it not be deserved? You don't luck into that record. Panthers were just a great team that season. We had decisive wins against the next 3 best NFC teams. We destroyed the Cardinals and were destroying the Packers/Seahawks until we started taking the foot off the pedal.

And he was "exposed" against the Broncos? You mean the same defense that also gave Brady a lot of problems? Broncos make every passing offense look terrible.

Panthers made the playoffs for 3 straight years until last year and are 2-0 this year. Cam hasn't been perfect but he has hidden a LOT of our offensive flaws because of his skills, particularly how flawed our offensive scheme was. Anyone who has taken the time to watch our offense has pointed out how ridiculously long it takes our plays to develop due to our over reliancy on downfield throwing. Cam has to do a lot just to accomplish a little. 

Edited by iknowcool

19 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

I can't say he doesn't put in the work, but he is a massive show pony and loves the limelight. Sometimes that works for players, sometimes not. I'd rather he didn't do elaborate dances and dabs and whatever and just do his job. Might actually win something. 

• Like 1