Cam Newton

El Ramster

7 hours ago, Jlowe22 said:

I agree with him that comp% alone doesn't tell the whole accuracy story, but this statement:

"When you take out the receiver’s influence on the outcome of each play to isolate the accuracy of the quarterback, Newton becomes by far the most accurate passer in the NFL. "

Is downright hilarious.

It's crazy. He's one of the most inaccurate passers whichever way you slice it.

57 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

That's just some guy's blog. You can't say he was "ranked as the 2nd best QB" xDxD

As ridiculous as that ranking is, he's (whether you feel fairly or not) probably earned better than being called "some guy". Has his own podcast on ESPN and has been on SportsCenter a few times this season to discuss QB play. Also has done work for Bleacher Report's NFL1000 and I believe also worked for Football Outsiders but that may be wrong.

Guy's a dbag and has some uh...questionable rankings to say the least, but his statistics have become pretty well respected in NFL analyst circles, whether that's fair or not.

Edited by TitanLegend

It doesn't bode well for career longevity, the guy has taken/takes huge hits with his playing style. I think you are seeing some changes his playing style to try and keep him more healthy, but if he can't improve as a pocket passer (sub 60% completion percentage is really bad) then I am not sure how long his career will be. His legs will go before his arm does.

He seems to have no touch on his throws, he can throw with distance but that's not all you need. Kaepernick was similar.

Edited by jontat83

11 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

I think most would agree he's super average and had one outstanding year. I don't think he's going to be a guy who is successful into his mid 30's.

He's absolutely terrible. If he couldn't run, he's Brock Oswilder. Horrible mechanics, inaccurate, needs 6'5" guys to throw to and he still missies them by a mile. His one good season was when the starts all aligned and gave the NFC South the easiest schedule since Peyton Manning threw 55 TDs in a season. THAT also was one of the most candy *** schedules ever.

These NFL QB prototype narratives are quite disgusting and retarded. Also, if the NFL wants to continue to succeed in promoting it's most prized position, than the old man's club and their ideals of what a QB should be need to die off, like as of yesterday. 

There's a **** load of talent at the QB position, but many coaches/GM's are too fixated on what offenses are supposed to look like, instead of evolving into what they can be. I don't buy the longevity concerns either b/c your typical pocket passers behind modern offensive lineman are getting lit up like x-mas trees also. 

Edited by Carmen Cygni

3 minutes ago, Carmen Cygni said:

These NFL QB prototype narratives are quite disgusting and retarded. Also, if the NFL wants to continue to succeed in promoting it's most prized position, than the old man's club and their ideals of what a QB should be need to die off, like as of yesterday. 

There's a **** load of talent at the QB position, but many coaches/GM's are too fixated on what offenses are supposed to look like, instead of evolving into what they can be. I don't buy the longevity concerns either b/c your typical pocket passers behind modern offensive lineman are getting lit up like x-mas trees also. 

Is this really the case?

21 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Some guy who has put more time into it than everyone in this thread combined :)

Was just sharing the write-up. Sorry your guy isn't number 1 (or 2) on the list!

It wasn't necessarily the rankings I disagreed with, apart from a few obvious ones, but his reasoning behind some of the rankings don't make any sense.

7 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

It wasn't necessarily the rankings I disagreed with, apart from a few obvious ones, but his reasoning behind some of the rankings don't make any sense.

That's fine, I'm not prepared to defend any of the authors assertions. Just felt it was interesting he had Can ranked so highly with significant supporting evidence. I deemed it worth sharing to discuss.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Some guy who has put more time into it than everyone in this thread combined :)

Was just sharing the write-up. Sorry your guy isn't number 1 (or 2) on the list!

What's with that second line? How have you turned me disagreeing with Cam being so high, onto an anti-Brady sledge, when I haven't mentioned Brady once? 

Edited by Hunter2_1

On 9/26/2017 at 8:43 AM, iknowcool said:

Untitled-1.jpg.1872e7d26b9a2be2b75f94b43

This play represents the Panthers offense. Only 3 receivers out on a route, all downfield with no underneath options. All are being blanketed, meanwhile Cam is still somehow being pressured.  But yeah, he is supposed to overcome that.

Cam is a 7 year vet, but he's not an elite QB. Expecting guys to overcome everything as if they are Brady or Rodgers (and Rodgers, as we saw during his down period, couldn't even do that) is ridiculous. He needs help. If you think the solution is getting rid of him, then you aren't watching the games and/or underestimating the value of a QB.  The scheme is horrendous. 

Same thing with Stafford. His performance is night and day from 2012-2014 and I feel certain coaching had something to do with it. 

That was a really bad play in a largely successful drive, so no, I don't think it represents the Panthers offense. Or at least, it *shouldn't* represent the Panthers offense this season. On that drive, the Panthers ran a lot of 21 and 22 personnel with Stewart, McCaffrey, Dickson and their second TE (can't think of his name). And they were successful with it, especially when they incorporated backfield motion. Some pitch plays, some quick RB and WR screens to McCaffrey, some runs up the middle. They even ran one play that I remember with a 6 OL set on 12 or 21 personnel (with 1 WR), and that worked fairly well also.They were rolling. 

Then when they got into the RZ, it was almost all 11 personnel, which goes against the Panthers' offensive strengths this year. That's when the scheme went bad. They're not a team that's 3 WRs deep. They should run a lot more 2x personnel with Stewart and McCaffrey on the field at the same time, or 12 if they need a breather. Dickson can be a blocking and (lesser so) receiving threat, and then have one or two other WRs. Incorporate some more schemed runs for Newton and that's an offense that could really work well this season. And it would fun as hell to watch.

Anyway, on this particular play, it looked like Kalil just missed his assignment. Although Dickson lined up on the left in the backfield, so maybe Dickson ran the wrong play and it was his responsibility. Or maybe Cam didn't communicate the playcall well enough. I don't really know. Hard to give blame 100% to anyone, but it looked like Kalil's fault there, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was. He didn't play well all game. The OL isn't good and running 11 personnel and trying to wait for routes to develop isn't happening.

Edited by childofpudding

3 hours ago, childofpudding said:

That was a really bad play in a largely successful drive, so no, I don't think it represents the Panthers offense. Or at least, it *shouldn't* represent the Panthers offense this season. On that drive, the Panthers ran a lot of 21 and 22 personnel with Stewart, McCaffrey, Dickson and their second TE (can't think of his name). And they were successful with it, especially when they incorporated backfield motion. Some pitch plays, some quick RB and WR screens to McCaffrey, some runs up the middle. They even ran one play that I remember with a 6 OL set on 12 or 21 personnel (with 1 WR), and that worked fairly well also.They were rolling. 

Then when they got into the RZ, it was almost all 11 personnel, which goes against the Panthers' offensive strengths this year. That's when the scheme went bad. They're not a team that's 3 WRs deep. They should run a lot more 2x personnel with Stewart and McCaffrey on the field at the same time, or 12 if they need a breather. Dickson can be a blocking and (lesser so) receiving threat, and then have one or two other WRs. Incorporate some more schemed runs for Newton and that's an offense that could really work well this season. And it would fun as hell to watch.

Anyway, on this particular play, it looked like Kalil just missed his assignment. Although Dickson lined up on the left in the backfield, so maybe Dickson ran the wrong play and it was his responsibility. Or maybe Cam didn't communicate the playcall well enough. I don't really know. Hard to give blame 100% to anyone, but it looked like Kalil's fault there, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was. He didn't play well all game. The OL isn't good and running 11 personnel and trying to wait for routes to develop isn't happening.

I agree with you here. An OL's responsibility is to block the 5 MDM (most dangerous man) who have the shortest and quickest path to the QB. Kalil in disregarding the strongside blitzer who was lined up on the LOS was an ME/MA (mental error/missed assignment). All around, Kalil did not play well and had a rough outing. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/25/2017 at 6:33 PM, Toughguy77 said:

I'd have to say for about 80% of the posters in this topic the last time they've seen Cam play a game was Super Bowl 50. From what I've read, majority of y'all in here have only watched highlights on SportsCenter or just checked the box score of the their games. 

This topic has turned into a "If you'd like to bash Cam Newton, reply here". It's honestly pathetic. Sure, let's discuss his stats and how he's regressed since his SB appearance but calling him out as a person outside of the game is outrageous. The guy has done nothing but give back to his Charlotte community since he's been in the league. Please taking your trolling elsewhere. 

Cam sucks

1 hour ago, ITS_RAMMY_PLAYBOI said:

I’m so got damm

money. I’ve been saying this forever 

This is like making a Peyton Manning sucks thread in 2010 and bumping it in 2015. "I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG!"

Two shoulder surgeries and a sprained ankle. Cam is clearly injured.

• Like 1