Cam Newton

El Ramster

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Who cares what Kurt Warner thinks?  I certainly don't.  I'm not denying people's right or wrong tendency to hate athletes who celebrate.  Of course there are probably some "accomplished peers" out there that dislike Cam.  But Newton does it because it is a fun thing to do.  It isn't his fault that you or other people choose to get so up in arms about it.  

It's just celebrating.  Why get so upset about it?  Newton is no more or less arrogant than Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.  

People complain when Newton "pouts".  They complain when he celebrates.  Is he supposed to just be a robotic, stoic QB?  Is he supposed to be Russell Wilson? 

Lots of people care. When you are an intelligent, accomplished and humble individual. People listen to you. What has Cam done to earn such respect and admiration from you besides being the QB of your favorite team? Certainly nothing of real note. 

The reason why people get upset is because it shows he's childish. He has nothing to celebrate about. And in case you don't know football. It tends to piss off defenses and gives them that much more of a reason to punch you in the mouth. 

And actually he is far more arrogant then Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers. Neither one of those guys have walked out of a Superbowl press conference because they didn't like the way they were being talked too. That shows immaturity. On top of having paper THIN skin.

I have seen documentaries from former QBs where they get suplexed, bodyslammed, into the ground, have helmets ripped off and have their knee shot out that would cripple a superhero. And they laugh and joke about it being the nature of the game. A defender hits Cam like a half second after a play and he goes on a 30 minute press conference rant about how he's being picked on. 

He won't stick around for questions about a major loss in his career. But when he gets pissy about something that's part of the game. And today's hit are mild and watered down compared to what used to be legal. 

And if this guy had a  Russell Wilson type attitude. He might actually develop into a great like Tom Brady.

6 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Lots of people care. When you are an intelligent, accomplished and humble individual. People listen to you. What has Cam done to earn such respect and admiration from you besides being the QB of your favorite team? Certainly nothing of real note. 

Newton has an amazing foundation for kids and has given a lot back to the community.  Probably in the hundreds of thousands if not the millions.  Every Thanksgiving, he hosts an event where he gives food to hundreds of people.  After every touchdown the Panthers have, home or away, Newton makes a kid's day by giving him a football.  I would say that deserves a lot of respect and admiration.  Maybe you disagree.

He's a great person by all accounts.  If you want to let an athlete celebrating make you so mad, or care that it makes other people mad, then go ahead.

A defender hits Cam like a half second after a play and he goes on a 30 minute press conference rant about how he's being picked on. 

Stop making stuff up.  That is not what happened.  A defender took a cheap shot into Newton's leg that should have been penalized.  It was an ongoing issue all season long where Newton was taking a lot of ridiculous hits.  Newton hadn't said a word about it for years until then and hasn't spoken on it since.  And he talked about it for like what, 5 minutes?  And only because he was asked by a journalist.

And Russell Wilson has Russell Wilson's attitude.  Why isn't he a great like Tom Brady?

I get it.  People don't like athletes like Cam.  It makes sense.  But the idea that it is a reflection of his work ethic or his morality or that it has ANY impact on our success is ridiculous.  I point out that he has the 4th most wins since 2013 not to make it seem like Newton is the 4th best QB in the NFL or something ridiculous like that but to point out his celebrating doesn't matter.  We have been successful with him.  More successful than 85% of the rest of the league.  He is a hard worker.  The reason he isn't as good as Brady is simply because... he isn't as good as Brady.  Being a hard worker doesn't make you an all-time great.  It takes a lot more than that.  If it didn't, Tebow would be a starting QB.

Newton is a top 13ish QB who at times can look elite.  If you think you are supposed to get rid of a QB like that, then you don't know how valuable a QB is.

Edited by iknowcool

I’ve always been somewhat of a Cam skeptic even when it wasn’t convenient. He’s not a good passer, but a savvy and powerful runner with enough speed to be a threat given any room to operate.

That being said, I believe Newton and players like him should be viewed less critically as passers. His ability to run should be accentuated, not hidden. Further, the offense should consider his limitations as a passer, or else you’re always going to be disappointed in him.

3 hours ago, iknowcool said:

That is 6 teams in 10 years.  Far from "several teams".

And "had team inexplicably blow games for them"?  Dude, what the hell are you talking about?  If anything, it was the other way around.  We beat the hell out of the Packers and Seahawks for 3 quarters when we beat them and it took us playing prevent for them to even make it a game.  Clearly you didn't watch us that season.

Actually, several = 5 or more.  He listed 6

And outside of the first 2 playoff games, the Panthers were largely unremarkable.  Out of their 15 wins, only a grand total of 4 came against playoff teams.  Out of those 4 playoff teams, 2 of them were the 9-7 texans and the 9-7 Redskins, both of which got annihilated in the wild card round.  The others came against the 10-6 Seahawks and the 10-6 Packers.  And they almost blew the game against green bay and the divisional game against Seattle

But let's forget the playoffs for a second and go back to the cupcake regular season that they skated through.  So you're telling me that the seahawks, saints, and colts didn't all blow 4th quarter leads in games they practically had won before they imploded defensively?  What about when the Panthers were up 35-7 on the Giants and actually let them come all the way back to tie it before getting bailed out by the kicker? The rest of those games were largely beating up on mediocre or bad teams, which made it real easy for cam to look good especially considering most of those teams had piss poor defenses (for example, the Bucs, saints, cowboys, Titans, colts, and giants just to name a few were all pretty bad defensively, and the Panthers also got the benefit of getting to play the Bucs and saints twice)

Just face it, cams been awful so far this season.  I'll admit his 2013 was great, but he wasn't good at all in 2014 or 2016 especially with his accuracy, which was already a problem BEFORE it dropped to under 53% last season.  And this is in a pass happy era where the majority of quarterbacks are completing over 60% of their passes.  The Panthers are alive because of their defense, and to a smaller extent, their running game.  I saw cam miss a stupid wide open touchdown against the 49ers week 1.  He did absolutely nothing week 2 against buffalo.  And he was terrible today no matter which way you want to spin it

He's a bigger stronger but slower version of Michael Vick.    Neither of them could ever figure out how to put good touch on a ball or do timing routes well.  But their insane arm allows them to make certain plays others can't a times and it looks spectacular.  You can literally see in both of them that if they ever put in the effort to be great they would have been some of the best ever but neither of their work ethic is really that impressive and they will rely on their god given abilities to get them by.