Almost There Mock 2020

Madmike90

Free Agents

OL…Josh Kline…6-3” 300lbs…

I wasn’t a huge fan of the Ifedi signing but given the value of his contract I really can’t complaint…it is the definition of taking a guy with natural talent and trying to coach him up for next to nothing…no one should be against that especially considering he also offers some versatility…that said I think we still have a spot on the roster for a “Ted Larsen” type of linemen…low ceiling but experienced and with a good floor…Kline has versatility as well with the ability to play either guard or centre…I feel he could be an experienced hand for some of the younger guys on the roster.

CB…Prince Amukamara…6-0” 205lbs…

In my last mock I never put Amukamara in it but mentioned the possibility of trying to bring him back…finding out we now have $11 million in cap space available following the changes to Foles’ deal means this is 100% a possibility now…Amukamara seemed to be happy here and at 30 years old he still has a couple of years left in him…brining him back in what could be a short offseason would be the best move for both parties…something like $9 million over 2 years would be fair for both sides and give us a level of experience and talent across from Fuller to help ease in a new safety and give our younger depth CBs less pressure…I could see this happening after the draft.

Draft…

Round 2 (#43)…  

WR…Jalen Reagor…5-11” 205lbs…TCU…

Ryan Pace must have had a list coming into this offseason when it comes to fixing the offence…

1.       Who plays QB?

2.       How do we protect that QB?

3.       How do we generate more explosive plays?

4.       How do we get the running game being more productive?

5.       How do we find more playmakers outside of ARob?

That is a lot to work on…I think the Foles moves is going to turn out really well…a guy who plays within the system with accuracy and decision making ability to simply get the ball into the playmakers hands…I think his ability to read defences better than Mitch can instantly helps in protecting him…I also think hiring Castillo and changing the blocking scheme to something that fits out Olinemen far better will also have a massive effect…we will also be adding more talent upfront and putting guys in their natural positions…how do we continue to help that QB…help the OL…and answer the final 3 questions? You find an explosive outside WR who can take the top off any defence and force teams to keep the extra man out of the box…Reagor isn’t a complete WR and doesn’t have natural receiving skills…but he is good enough that when you combine it with exceptional athletic ability he can be the “one trick” pony that this offence needs…a guy like DeSean Jackson who every time the ball is thrown up you know he can run under it and has the potential to score…that is an instance shot in the arm for the running game because defences must respect a true deep threat…it helps ARob, Miller & Graham underneath…should also help with Montgomery and Cohen out of the backfield…some will say he doesn’t make it this late because of the video put out by his agent of him running in the 4.2s…I suspect much like every year no NFL team puts a ton of stock into a pro day when it is significantly quicker than their combine…I think teams will view him much the same as previously…that said I think the only reason he makes it this late is because of the exceptional depth at the WR position in this draft and the fact he isn’t an all-round type of receiver where some GMs feel they could find starters as late as the 4th or 5th round.

Bears trade #50 to Ravens for #60, #128 & #134

Round 2 (#60)… 

OL…Robert Hunt…6-5” 323lbs…Louisiana-Lafayette…

The regression of our offence last season can be put down to a number of factors but I am not sure anything hurt us as much as the OL…from being a massive strength in 2018 it became almost unrecognisable in 2019 with every single player taking a step back the way…personally I do not feel this was down to a lack of talent…more the scheme we were asking them to pay simply wasn’t a fit…none of our offensive linemen fit a power scheme more than a zone…changing Whitehair & Daniels around before the season started also didn’t feel like a great idea…nor did allowing Kyle Long to play when he was clearly done…HH paid for these decisions with his job and I believe Juan Castillo is a far better fit for the linemen we currently have as he will bring about far more zone principles…with that said we need to give him some talent to work with up front…Hunt is a guy I have really liked since the start of the year and had him in my first mock of the year as a 5th rounder…the more people have got a hold of tape on him the more they have seen his talent as a difference maker up front…Hunt is a rare combination of hulking size & strength but with athletic upside and excellent footwork…as a pass protector he uses that footwork combined with his length and excellent grip strength to control rushers as soon as he gets his hands on them and will be a solid pass protector at the NFL level…it’s in the run game though where he shows dominant traits…no one has better tape than Hunt as a tackle in the run game where he flat out runs over guys with brute force…I think he can be an excellent RT for many years to come but his versatility means he would start out inside for us at RG where he would add size & nastiness…my only concern is wither or not he last this long because like we saw with Tytus Howard last season…a team looking for a true RT will love Hunt and could take him earlier than this but much like Reagor we benefit from an extremely deep tackle class.

Round 4 (#128)…

S…Jared Mayden…6-0” 205lbs…Alabama…

Time to add some talent on defence…our front seven is the best in the NFL when everyone is healthy…with Mack & now Quinn providing pass rush on the outside and Hicks inside to collapse the pocket our pass rush is fearsome…add in Goldman with Roquan & Danny T inside and your going to struggle to run on us as well…on the back end of the D if we bring back Prince then we are solid there along side Fuller who has became a quality #1 CB…making safety the one starting position we really need to upgrade along side Eddie…last season having HaHa next to Eddie was a real handcuff and forced us to play Eddie closer to the LOS than he should have been…as a true centrefielder we need to find a guy who can complement Jackson as a SS we feel can play closer to the LOS…enter Jared Mayden...IMO the most underrated DB in this enter draft mostly due to the fact he only starter 1 year at Alabama…when you look at the safety talent that has come out of this school you can forgive it…as a former 4 star CB recruit Mayden was made to wait for his chance to start but when he did showed the qualities you want in a modern day safety with versatility being key as Bama safeties are always interchangeable…he also played in the nickel at times which only strengthens his usefulness…Mayden doesn’t have elite speed which is why he moved from safety but he is very instinctive in coverage and made plays on the ball with 4 INTs last season…in run support Mayden uses his length to fight off blocks from WRs in order to get involved…he isn’t a big hitter but is a solid enough wrap up tackler to play down in the box and let Jackson play over the top…much like at Bama Mayden doesn’t need to come here and be a star…he needs to come in and be a solid compliment player who allows Jackson to be the star…if he does that he is the perfect pick in this spot.

Round 4 (#134)…

OLB…Alton Robinson…6-3” 263lbs…Syracuse…

A pass rusher in round four? With Mack & Quinn under long term deals? Yep…because you can never have enough pass rushers to get after the QB…old sayings a side you have to look at the money element of this move…the great Brian Urlacher even came out and said he wasn’t sure about paying two edge guys that amount of money…as great as it is right now it won’t last forever and we will cut bait on Quinn at some point…the best way of replacing that is with a talented if rough around the edges pass rusher you develop over time to be an every down player…Robinson has good size and excellent athleticism to be exactly that development piece…he plays with intensity and speed as a rusher and he could come in on 3rd down and give us even more of a threat on the edges…Robinson can be a bit of a one trick pony with his speed rush but at over 260lbs if he can be tough how to turn speed to power and then develop a counter he has all the tools…had he came out last season I reckon he would have went higher than this but a down season and not having been 100% following an injury I reckon he will be available n this range unless someone falls in love with him.

Round 5 (#163)…

ILB…Willie Gay Jr…6-1” 243lbs…Mississippi State…

The Bears are set for starting ILB with Roquan looking primed to become a real star and Danny T back to bring a leadership presence inside…but after these two the cupboard is pretty bare with Nick-K in Las Vegas now and KPL is Washington…Iggy has never shown enough to be relied on as a long term starter and after that we have JAGs…as much as I love Danny T I have very little faith he plays 16 full games this season given his history of injury…with that said we need to be looking for someone who we can trust to come in and play next to Roquan…there are a number of LBs in this range like Davion Taylor, Jordyn Brooks, Shaun Bradley & Shaquille Quarterman but my favourite is Gay Jr…he is far from pretty with a playing style of sheer energy which makes his arms flail around but he has the size to play inside at ILB in our 3-4 along side the range to cover ground behind our DL…what he lacks in instincts he makes up for in motor when chasing down ball carriers…in zone coverage he does a solid job playing underneath routes…ideally we wouldn’t see much of him all season but realistically I would trust him early for a 3-4 game stretch…should be a stand out on teams as well.

Round 6 (#196)… 

NT...Bravvion Roy...6-1” 333lbs…Baylor…

Our starting DL is really good…Hicks is a beast at DE…Goldman continues to do a great job quietly on the nose and Nichols will continue to develop as the 3rd man…RRH is also still a quality 4th man but I feel he is best suited to being used as a nickel pass rusher…after that I have real concerns following the loss of Nick Williams who was excellent for us last year…with our starting three missing a combined 14 games between them we are going to need to find more upfront in case of a repeat and as much as I would like to see a vet signed to compete with Urban for that role I still feel we need a young guy who fits the development role…Roy is very similar to some of the nose tackles Pagano has had in the past as a short and stout space eater who can protect our ILBs…Roy will never be a good pass rusher and is limited to a two down role but this late it makes sense to add depth at that NT position.

Round 6 (#202)…

RB…Elijah Mitchell…5-10" 218lbs…La.-Lafayette…

The running game was bogged down so much last season for a number of reasons and while I don’t feel David Montgomery was to blame I still think we could give him some help in the backfield outside of Cohen who basically was giving away what was happening every time he lined up on early downs…Nagy has a type at RB…5-10ish 220lbsish bowling balls with quick feet, good vision and hands…enter Mitchell who is exactly that…with size & power the knock on him will be he won’t blow anyone away with long speed but he is a very similar runner to Montgomery and the blocking schemes could remain the exact same no matter which on is in the backfield…coming of a highly productive season with 1147 yards at 5.8 YPC and 16 TDs there are some skills there…look back to 2018 and he also had 20 receptions for an average of 17.5 yards per catch so he is productive in that area too.

Round 7 (#226)

TE...Sean McKeon...6-5" 245lbs...Michigan...

Some will be truly shocked by taking a TE this late in the draft…even when I was building this mock I was trying to get a TE in the first 3 rounds…that was until I listened to what Jimmy Graham was saying during his conference call…he spoke about how the TE position was key to Nagy’s offence and that we were going to use him right…translation…Graham is going to play a ton of “F” TE and not be asked to play inline much at all…now if that is the case and we get a motivated Graham who has a chip on his shoulder…which it sounds like he does…then maybe the signing won’t be so bad after all…but where as most of us expected a vet inline TE and a rookie “F” we now need to swap these roles around and find a young TE who we believe can play inline as well as give us something in the short area passing game…McKeon is another guy who I think is underrated…is blocking technique is ever improving and he shows solid upper body strength when taking on bigger opponents…he was used a lot on reach and backside lead blocks for Michigan and again could do that for us…in the passing game McKeon shows soft hands and solid enough speed to be somewhat of a threat in the short to midrange…he is far from the explosive TE we all want but McKeon is maybe more what we need right now to get the best out of Graham. 

Round 7 (#233)…

K…Tyler Bass…5-10” 185lbs…Georgia Southern…

I’m still not sold on Eddy as our kicker…I think he clearly has too many good and bad days…consistency is key at the kicker position and finding someone who can be solid in every game has to be a priority…Bass is not only accurate and consistent with his kicks but he has a booming leg to hand kickoffs…with improved NFL coaching if he can learn to not kick the ball so high on field goal attempts he could easily be good from 50 yards consistently.

Depth Chart…

QB…Nick Foles…Mitch Trubisky

RB…David Montgomery…Elijah Mitchell…Tarik Cohen

FB…J.P Holtz

WR…Allen Robinson…Javon Wims

WR…Jalen Reagor…Riley Ridley

WR…Anthony Miller…Cordarrelle Patterson

TE…Jimmy Graham...Demetrius Harris…Sean McKeon…Jesper Horsted…(Burton IR)

LT…Charles Leno

LG…James Daniels

C…Cody Whitehair…Josh Kline

RG…Robert Hunt…Germain Ifedi

RT…Bobby Massie…Rashaad Coward                               

LE…Akiem Hicks…Brent Urban

NT…Eddie Goldman…Bravvion Roy

RE…Bilal Nichols…Roy Robertson-Harris

LOLB…Khalil Mack…Alton Robinson

ILB…Roquan Smith…Willie Gay Jr.

ILB…Danny Trevathan…Joel Iyiegbuniwe                             

ROLB…Robert Quinn…Keke Mingo

NB…Buster Skrine…Duke Shelley                

CB…Kyle Fuller…Artie Burns…Kevin Toliver                  

CB…Prince Amukamara…Tre Roberson

SS…Jared Mayden…Deon Bush

FS…Eddie Jackson…Jordan Lucas…Deandre Houston-Carson                   

P…Pat O’Donnell

K…Tyler Bass

LS…Patrick Scales

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Not drafting at least one OT or signing one would be a mistake imo

The odds Gay is there in round 5 are slim to none

I like the other Louisiana RB better

Otherwise I like it. Good work

I think drafting Hunt would be enough for us especially after signing Kline...I reckon Ifedi & Coward are still locked in as backups with versatility to play both guard or tackle...

I think Gay's lack of instincts pushes him down the board...dude is athletic but that doesn't make you great in the pros...the off field stuff is a little concerning too...

I reckon the other ULL RB goes higher than this and is more Cohen than Montgomery...we need to add some size at the RB spot.

5 hours ago, ba_ba_ba_BOOM said:

Nice mock. Skeptical Reagor will be there but makes sense to capitalize on WR class - I’m ok with Viska or Hamler too at 43.

Love Hunt and the trade down value there. 

Mayden is a little meh for me at S.

Watch out for my guy Mo Barry at ILB late.

Yeah I think if Reagor isn't there another quality WR could be there...

Mayden isn't a star in the making but I like him to allow Jackson to do what he does best.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I think drafting Hunt would be enough for us especially after signing Kline...I reckon Ifedi & Coward are still locked in as backups with versatility to play both guard or tackle...

I think Gay's lack of instincts pushes him down the board...dude is athletic but that doesn't make you great in the pros...the off field stuff is a little concerning too...

I reckon the other ULL RB goes higher than this and is more Cohen than Montgomery...we need to add some size at the RB spot.

I think they need more speed than size at RB. Montgomery isn't huge but plays huge. They need speed all over on offense. I think Cohen is more quick than fast. If they can get a somewhat bigger RB who can also run, I think that's more beneficial right now than a bruiser.

21 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I think they need more speed than size at RB. Montgomery isn't huge but plays huge. They need speed all over on offense. I think Cohen is more quick than fast. If they can get a somewhat bigger RB who can also run, I think that's more beneficial right now than a bruiser.

I just think Nagy has such a clear type at RB...bowling balls with soft hands seem to be what he looks for...that said he seems open to trying new things this offseason so you never know.

49 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I really think the Bears have to go offense-offense in the 2nd round.

They simply need more talent on that side of the ball.

I do not care it it is

WR-OL

OL-TE

TE-WR

OL-OL

Just get more talent on the offense.

100% agreed. If we could sign Tony Jefferson or Reid if he's still available it'd make all offense a no brainer. Just go BPA at OL, TE and WR.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I do not care it it is

WR-OL

OL-TE

TE-WR

OL-OL

I'd even go offense across the board unless a high quality prospect falls into our laps. 

I'm not sure SS really qualifies either.... Stud corner, OLB (there's actually a couple guys that could be worth gunning for), or a d line if one is around. But I personally wouldn't really get too excited unless it's a very special prospect.  The offense simply can't be allowed to stay this bad. 

Edited by Epyon
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I do not care it it is

WR-OL

OL-TE

TE-WR

OL-OL

I don't think we should box ourselves into anything because you never know what talent is going to be there but I would say adding one playmaker and one linemen on offence would be the way to go...a TE like Kemt would be very interesting as well if we want to line him up in line and use Graham as a huge slot who would be a nightmare match up for any nickel...different approach to the our and out speed element but could be effective.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think we should box ourselves into anything because you never know what talent is going to be there but I would say adding one playmaker and one linemen on offence would be the way to go...a TE like Kemt would be very interesting as well if we want to line him up in line and use Graham as a huge slot who would be a nightmare match up for any nickel...different approach to the our and out speed element but could be effective.

I agree if a truly superior defensive player falls you should take advantage of that.

But the offense has a talent problem.

There just aren’t any difference makers outride of Robinson and math Miller if he builds off late last season.

The OL is just a bunch of guys. Whitehair is good, but not a stud.

TE just guys.

RB just guys.

QB clearly just guys.