Grade Kyle Smith as a drafter

What is your grade for Kyle Smith leading the Redskins drafts?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What is your grade for Kyle Smith leading the Redskins drafts?

As a forum, I think we can all agree that Kyle Smith carries most of the decisions on draft day.  The son of former NFL GM AJ Smith, Kyle was a scout for us from 2011-2016.  From 2017 until now, he's been the Director of College Personnel.  He's now the Vice President of Player Personnel, the highest position we have for evaluating college and pro talent.  

Enough background, and onto the title of the thread.  While we aren't in the draft room, and know who pushed for who, it is safe to say that Smith oversaw the process and was involved in just about all of the draft picks.  So we can grade the 2017-2019 drafts, and on the poll, I am putting a 1-10 scale, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best.  Remember to take into consideration the following: 

1.) Overall draft grade 

2.) Trade values made surrounding draft picks leading up to and including draft grade 

3.) Starting caliber players drafted 

4.) Depth players drafted (and acquired as UDFA) 

5.) Tenure of draft picks 

6.) Any other classifications you want to put into your grade 

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

As a forum, I think we can all agree that Kyle Smith carries most of the decisions on draft day.  The son of former NFL GM AJ Smith, Kyle was a scout for us from 2011-2016.  From 2017 until now, he's been the Director of College Personnel.  He's now the Vice President of Player Personnel, the highest position we have for evaluating college and pro talent.  

Enough background, and onto the title of the thread.  While we aren't in the draft room, and know who pushed for who, it is safe to say that Smith oversaw the process and was involved in just about all of the draft picks.  So we can grade the 2017-2019 drafts, and on the poll, I am putting a 1-10 scale, 1 being the worst and 10 being the best.  Remember to take into consideration the following: 

1.) Overall draft grade 

2.) Trade values made surrounding draft picks leading up to and including draft grade 

3.) Starting caliber players drafted 

4.) Depth players drafted (and acquired as UDFA) 

5.) Tenure of draft picks 

6.) Any other classifications you want to put into your grade 

Well I mean he’s been apart of the Fuller, Allen, Payne, Sweat, Terry, Love, Guice. I think there’s a lot to like especially if the RB’s can be what their potential coming out. Haskins can very well take huge steps. I think Harmon and Terry and Sims all grow this season with Haskins. Holecomb was a steal as well. Jimmy Mo I think is gonna be a starter as well. So I’m very excited. I think I have a higher grade because I truely rated each of them higher then their selections so we’ve gotten value. We need coaching culture and for these players to be in shape. This Chase selection can be a huge turning point to bring the defense together going forward. I’m very excited

• Like 4

I'll wait till after this 20' draft to vote.

But so far, I'd give him a solid 8 as his grade.

His value has been tremendous & he  has shown great patience to letting the draft come to him. Rather, than reaching for certain players or need.

If he nails this draft, I'm certain the Redskins with the coaching we have NOW?

Will be a very tough team to beat.

This team is young & fast. If we can continue to build this way & also add character & good culture along with it?

We will turn this ship around faster, than even Rivera will realize.

But I got to wait & see how he does this draft.

He has a chance to be a 10 for me...if he can continue what he's done.

• Like 2

I mean the only draft that wasn’t a good one was 2016 that he had a major major role in the draft since he was hired here. And even that year we still had arguably our best DL selected in that draft - Matt Ioannidis - and Kendall Fuller, currently our best corner.

I guess I’d go with an 8 too.

Except for 2016, our drafts since 2014 have been the best top to bottom since the 80s. The issue we’ve had is Brice didn’t pay to retain our talent on their second contract except for a few guys and while you can’t pay everyone to stay, there were a few guys we should’ve paid since our last playoff appearance in 2015 that we didn’t.

The biggest issue we’ve had since 2014 was Brice not being willing to spend in FA and when he did, he overspent on guys that didn’t deserve the contract they got. It’s just no way to build a team, give QB money to another teams corner and not keep your own drafted and developed talent. Just awful decisions in FA.

• Like 2

I like him. I’m not a fan of what we’ve done in free agency but this last draft, if it was all his, was rather impressive. Now we’ll see what he can do in two weeks and if he takes Chase or trades down and adds more picks. I personally do not understand why they haven’t just named him GM but I hope that happens after the draft. If he impresses again somebody will eventually come knocking with a GM title. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

I like him. I’m not a fan of what we’ve done in free agency but this last draft, if it was all his, was rather impressive. Now we’ll see what he can do in two weeks and if he takes Chase or trades down and adds more picks. I personally do not understand why they haven’t just named him GM but I hope that happens after the draft. If he impresses again somebody will eventually come knocking with a GM title. 

Yeah I would really like him to have the title. I’ve really liked his drafts he seems to value qualities I do because Sweat was a super high graded player on the field coming out with a key on needing to refine technique. NFL coaches should be able to work with his tools. If we hit this one out the park we can completely be in contention for a division if Haskins can have a big year 2. We could be giving this guy a 12 in 3 years.

• Like 3

I'm not terribly convinced that Kyle Smith has had much influence drafting our players in the past couple years or will in the future. And despite his new title, this is Rivera's team. Kyle Smith seems like another one of Snyder's marketing specials. He doesn't impress me in the interviews and I don't think he's terribly smart either.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taylor made said:

I'm not terribly convinced that Kyle Smith has had much influence drafting our players in the past couple years or will in the future. And despite his new title, this is Rivera's team. Kyle Smith seems like another one of Snyder's marketing specials. He doesn't impress me in the interviews and I don't think he's terribly smart either.

Really? Did you listen to him a few months ago? He was great in that interview.

What’a wrong with this answer? It's perfect for a personal guy and not a figurehead or politician. A 180 from Bruce Allen. Similar to Scot McCloughan.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, taylor made said:

Didn’t Kyle Smith set the board last year? I think the only pick he was overruled on was Haskins and he was still able to get the guy he wanted at 26 in Sweat. As for the rest of it, I have no clue how you came to those conclusions so I won’t get into it...

• Like 3

This is a team that won 3 games last year.  We've drafted one Pro Bowl player since 2014.  Ya I like some players that they've brought in, but if I'm looking at the roster objectively we haven't done a good job of drafting talent.  We have a lot of average players, and pretty much no elite players.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Oh, you mean the popularity contest?

It's a popularity contest sure, but every player who passes up a Pro Bowl is still considered a Pro Bowler.  Even if that list contains 10 players before one accepts it, all 11 of those guys are considered Pro Bowlers.  

The fact that we have drafted one Pro Bowler since 2014 is very concerning, especially how far down that title can now go.  It further goes to my point that we tend to overrate a lot of our players.  

• Like 1