Grade Kyle Smith as a drafter

What is your grade for Kyle Smith leading the Redskins drafts?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. What is your grade for Kyle Smith leading the Redskins drafts?

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It's a popularity contest sure, but every player who passes up a Pro Bowl is still considered a Pro Bowler.  Even if that list contains 10 players before one accepts it, all 11 of those guys are considered Pro Bowlers.  

The fact that we have drafted one Pro Bowler since 2014 is very concerning, especially how far down that title can now go.  It further goes to my point that we tend to overrate a lot of our players.  

If we had a firesale I'm not sure that we have a player on our roster someone would pay a first round pick for.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Terry McClaurin

That’s the obvious one. No sense taking a blind gamble on someone like Higgins or Mims or Jefferson when you could trade that pick for a guy who put up 900+ yards and 7 TDs in 14 games as a rookie, with no other receivers to speak of and generally poor QB play. 

I think Sweat also would be a likely 1st round value. His outrageous physical tools, plus the fact that he showed off some pass-rush progress/production and surprisingly good play against the run, would place him in the conversation for 2nd most valuable edge in this draft (along with Chiasson and Epenesa). Can’t imagine a team would rather use a pick on Weaver or Gross-Matos than on Sweat, even though they would have an extra year of control.

I also think Haskins should be worth a 1st. I would never EVER want Justin Herbert or Jordan Love over him — not in terms of pre-draft prospect rating and not after having seen him play for a season. I don’t know that the rest of the league would feel that way, though. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, e16bball said:

That’s the obvious one. No sense taking a blind gamble on someone like Higgins or Mims or Jefferson when you could trade that pick for a guy who put up 900+ yards and 7 TDs in 14 games as a rookie, with no other receivers to speak of and generally poor QB play. 

I think Sweat also would be a likely 1st round value. His outrageous physical tools, plus the fact that he showed off some pass-rush progress/production and surprisingly good play against the run, would place him in the conversation for 2nd most valuable edge in this draft (along with Chiasson and Epenesa). Can’t imagine a team would rather use a pick on Weaver or Gross-Matos than on Sweat, even though they would have an extra year of control.

I also think Haskins should be worth a 1st. I would never EVER want Justin Herbert or Jordan Love over him — not in terms of pre-draft prospect rating and not after having seen him play for a season. I don’t know that the rest of the league would feel that way, though. 

Good point with Sweat, he did have 5.5 sacks the second half of the year. 

And, it’s true about Haskins as well, if Rosen can get the Cardinals back an early 2nd then, Haskins should be worth at least a late 1st if not higher.

Generally, a draft is considered successful if you come out of it with two starting caliber players. We drafted/signed at least 4 last year, and possibly 8 (not including Love or Martin):

McLaurin

Sweat

Haskins

Sims

Holcomb

Harmon

Moreland

I don’t hold team record against him, when nearly a quarter of our salary cap was on IR to start the year, and nearly half of our salary cap was on IR to end it.  That’s on Bruce, for a) his terrible FA acquisitions and b) his terrible Alex Smith contract. 

I give him a solid 8 right now, because I want to see more All Pro talent drafted than I’ve seen so far in order to give him a higher grade (McLaurin is the only one so far who has proven at the NFL level that he can become that).  Young will likely be our 2nd in two years, so it’s a good start on that front.  In addition, Sweat, Haskins, and  Guice all have that potential IMO.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

If we had a firesale I'm not sure that we have a player on our roster someone would pay a first round pick for.

How many teams in the league have a player they could get a first round pick for? Unless you’re getting a Khalil Mack or Jalen Ramsey rarely do first round picks get traded and the BOB trades do not count because he’s an idiot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Valid point of view.  

It will be very interesting if that all changes with better coaching.  

We should review this same draft period again after a year of Rivera.

• Like 4

First I was thinking a 7 or a 8. In the end went with a real strong 7. Why: the drafts are good, but not great.

The 1 rounders are solid, but have not produced a pro bowler. The later rounds have been real good though. When reading the posts of you guys I would change towards a 8. Especially because of mclaurin! That’s a first rounder

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dutch Redskins fan said:

First I was thinking a 7 or a 8. In the end went with a real strong 7. Why: the drafts are good, but not great.

The 1 rounders are solid, but have not produced a pro bowler. The later rounds have been real good though. When reading the posts of you guys I would change towards a 8. Especially because of mclaurin! That’s a first rounder

An argument could be made that one of Allen or Ioannidis should have been pro bowl player alternates the last two years - Ioannidis has 16 sacks over the last two years, Allen 14 and even our NT was producing 7 sacks and he was 320 pounds. To me you could make the case they're being hurt by the fact that they're all producing, unlike on some teams were the dominant guy just gobbles up all the stats, the Redskins spread theirs out amongst 3 good DTs.

Another reason why Allen & Ioannidis aren't recognized is bc our team has sucked since Alex Smith broke his leg so they're not as popular as other players and aren't as recognized, only by Redskins fans.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

An argument could be made that one of Allen or Ioannidis should have been pro bowl player alternates the last two years - Ioannidis has 16 sacks over the last two years, Allen 14 and even our NT was producing 7 sacks and he was 320 pounds. To me you could make the case they're being hurt by the fact that they're all producing, unlike on some teams were the dominant guy just gobbles up all the stats, the Redskins spread theirs out amongst 3 good DTs.

Another reason why Allen & Ioannidis aren't recognized is bc our team has sucked since Alex Smith broke his leg so they're not as popular as other players and aren't as recognized, only by Redskins fans.

Or d-line is quite good. They are not there yet. Our D was not good last year so also was not recognized by others. 

Personally I still think Allen is the best player. Back to Smith’s draft a 8 is justified.  A lot of good young men, but not a good team. I hope the new coaching staff will make it happen. Another good draft will get a lot done.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

All hail Kyle Smith!

Weren't you just telling me about looking deeper than stats as we were discussing Jadaveon Clowney?

Holcomb is a two-down guy.  He is beyond terrible in coverage.  While White and Bush both have sideline to sideline speed and are very good in coverage.  Those guys are three-down players.  Holcomb on a good defense should be coming off the field in obvious passing situations.  

I like the guy, and he's provided good value for us, but I'm not going to put him with Bush or White at this moment.   

• Like 1