Which *NEW* Head Coach will have the biggest impact on their new team?

aceinthehouse

Which *NEW* NFL Head Coach, will impact his team the most going forward?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Who made the best hire?

• Joe Judge, New York Giants
    • Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
    • Matt Rhule, Carolina Panthers
    • Ron Rivera, Washington Redskins
    • Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns

There are going to be 5 New Head Coaches for the 2020 season for their respected teams.

Which one do you believe will have the greatest impact for their team, for the 2020 season & going forward?

And do you believe any of the 5 new coaches will be able to get their team to the Playoffs?

Rivera to the Redskins

I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets Washington sneaky competitive before people even realize it’s happening.  

Edit: As far as making the playoffs, the NFC East title is about as attainable as it gets. 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 3

Interestingly, 3 of the 5 are all in the NFC East.

What will also be interesting, is how Doug Pederson/Eagles handles this change inside the Division.

Will he continue to be the lead dog coach in this Division? (Which he has been)

Or will there be a more competitive balance shift towards any or all of the other 3 teams?

Snyder is back to pulling the puppet strings.  Rivera will be out in four years with one division title on his resume.  But it won't be this year, the talent level on the roster is bottom of the league except on the defensive line.  We are changing defensive systems, not just scheme but from a 3-4 to a 4-3, and NFL history dictates teams do not improve much in their first year of that change (and many regress.......though the Redskins have little place to go but up in that regard.) 

McCarthy and Stefanski are the ones who I would put money on, if I was a betting man.  

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DaveDX said:

I vote Rhule, but it’s kind of a cheat. Circumstances have made us completely different already, and he’s presiding over them. 

For the amount they're paying him, he better turn that team around quickly.  Or else that hire will be added to Saban and Spurrier when terrible NCAA to NFL transitions are cited.

I'm optimistic about Joe Judge, but even more-so the coaches he's assembled.  I've envied the Cowboys offense, particularly their running game for a long time.  So I'm excited to see what Jason Garrett can do with Saquon and Daniel Jones, and what Marc Colombo can do for this offensive line.

• Like 1

It’s gotta be the Redskins or Browns, when you consider the absolute train wreck of a culture that existed in those locker rooms before the new coaches arrived. Nowhere to go but up in that department.

In terms of wins vs losses from 2019 to 2020, much harder to say. 

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Snyder is back to pulling the puppet strings.  Rivera will be out in four years with one division title on his resume.  But it won't be this year, the talent level on the roster is bottom of the league except on the defensive line.  We are changing defensive systems, not just scheme but from a 3-4 to a 4-3, and NFL history dictates teams do not improve much in their first year of that change (and many regress.......though the Redskins have little place to go but up in that regard.) 

McCarthy and Stefanski are the ones who I would put money on, if I was a betting man.  

Gonna have to disagree with you there, nap.

The Redskins have the youngest team in the NFL & are about to get even younger via/draft.

You got Rivera presiding over them, with Jack Del Rio on the Defensive side.

They have a ton of talent on D-line & RB.

They have an elite WR in Scary Terry already & are looking for that #2.

If Rueben can come back for LBer healthy, they could be lethal at LBer.

Their secondary will be improved.

There's team speed all over that team.

If they can replace Trent Williams & find a premeir stud TE?

They will be a tough out.

Haskins has to continue to improve as well.

2 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Gonna have to disagree with you there, nap.

The Redskins have the youngest team in the NFL & are about to get even younger via/draft.

You got Rivera presiding over them, with Jack Del Rio on the Defensive side.

They have a ton of talent on D-line & RB.

They have an elite WR in Scary Terry already & are looking for that #2.

If Rueben can come back for LBer healthy, they could be lethal at LBer.

Their secondary will be improved.

There's team speed all over that team.

If they can replace Trent Williams & find a premeir stud TE?

They will be a tough out.

Haskins has to continue to improve as well.

No team ever transitions out of one defensive system and winds up inside the top 20 in their first year in a new system.  The Ravens went from a top 3 unit in the 4-3, to a bottom 10 unit in their first year in the 3-4, and that included elite talent across the board, and a "Who's Who" list of 3-4 coaches on their staff.  The Broncos switched back to a 4-3 when they drafted Von Miller, and went from 32 to 20 in rankings if I recall.  So while there are things I am looking to see us improve on defense (specifically 3rd down performance) NFL history is against this unit seeing much improvement in their first year, no matter the talent.  

The talent at RB is questionable at best.  Lots of question mark due to knee injuries, and AP could slow down at any time.  They probably have a middle of the road RB stable right now.  

The Redskins won't be able to find that #2 receiver, replace Trent Williams, find a premier stud TE AND draft Chase Young  in one draft.  I'd like to see how you would solve those issues

Counting on Reuben Foster to do anything is a fool's errand.  If he can return from that gruesome knee injury, there's no guarantee he plays anywhere close to where he played before.  He also has a bum shoulder that could cause more issues.  

I'm not seeing how the secondary will be much improved, but subtracting Norman is a help.  

This is a 2-6 win team this year if we play a 16 game season.  Six is the best case scenario with Haskins progressing well.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

No team ever transitions out of one defensive system and winds up inside the top 20 in their first year in a new system.  The Ravens went from a top 3 unit in the 4-3, to a bottom 10 unit in their first year in the 3-4, and that included elite talent across the board, and a "Who's Who" list of 3-4 coaches on their staff.  The Broncos switched back to a 4-3 when they drafted Von Miller, and went from 32 to 20 in rankings if I recall.  So while there are things I am looking to see us improve on defense (specifically 3rd down performance) NFL history is against this unit seeing much improvement in their first year, no matter the talent.  

The talent at RB is questionable at best.  Lots of question mark due to knee injuries, and AP could slow down at any time.  They probably have a middle of the road RB stable right now.  

The Redskins won't be able to find that #2 receiver, replace Trent Williams, find a premier stud TE AND draft Chase Young  in one draft.  I'd like to see how you would solve those issues

Counting on Reuben Foster to do anything is a fool's errand.  If he can return from that gruesome knee injury, there's no guarantee he plays anywhere close to where he played before.  He also has a bum shoulder that could cause more issues.  

I'm not seeing how the secondary will be much improved, but subtracting Norman is a help.  

This is a 2-6 win team this year if we play a 16 game season.  Six is the best case scenario with Haskins progressing well.  

Presuming they draft Chase Young @#2, they will arguably have a better front line, than the 49ers. 

The switchback to a 43 has long been overdue. The Redskins were always & traditionally better in a 43, than 34.

Yes, there are injuries for the RB's to overcome in Guide & Love, but both these players are 1st Rd talent RB's. You add a vet like Peterson to this bunch & it gives your team many options.

And who's to say we don't hit on another WR or TE via draft? We still have that high 3rd rounder. There could be some serious talent still available there.

In fact, I can easily see a trade down from that spot, to net more day 2 picks.

As far as secondary is concerned? When your D-line creates havoc, you don't need an elite secondary to create turnovers.

And that's exactly what JDR defense has traditionally done.

Our teams in the past were slow & old...

Now we're fast & young.

With the right coaching, which I'm hoping we have?

This team could be very good, very fast.

3 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Presuming they draft Chase Young @#2, they will arguably have a better front line, than the 49ers. 

The switchback to a 43 has long been overdue. The Redskins were always & traditionally better in a 43, than 34.

Yes, there are injuries for the RB's to overcome in Guide & Love, but both these players are 1st Rd talent RB's. You add a vet like Peterson to this bunch & it gives your team many options.

And who's to say we don't hit on another WR or TE via draft? We still have that high 3rd rounder. There could be some serious talent still available there.

As far as secondary is concerned? When your D-line creates havoc, you don't need an elite secondary to create turnovers.

Now we're fast & young.

Long overdue or not, history says that no team sees wholesale improvement in their first year.  Many units regress.  So while it is overdue, it's not going to help the Redskins win next year.  

If you trust Guice to take a hit next year, fine.  I don't.  42 carries in two years isn't a lot of mileage, but right now his knee looks snakebit.  

Yes, we can hit on a WR or TE in the draft, but I am saying addressing ALL of those positions, and unless they trade down from Chase Young, they aren't going to address all of them.  If they moved Williams, Kerrigan and an interior lineman (Payne, Allen or Ioannidis) for draft picks, they might have enough ammunition to make that happen.  

You still need guys to stay healthy in the secondary.  Davis and Darby aren't healthy guys, neither is Moreau.  Landon Collins is a box safety.  We could see serious coverage issues if we are playing down the depth chart.  

We're fast and young, but this was a three win team last year that only made one impact move in free agency, and currently has one pick besides Chase Young in the first three rounds.  It's going to be a building year, and that's OK.  Expecting any more than six wins is setting yourself up to be disappointed.  

8 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Now we're fast & young.

You scored the 32nd most points last year and allowed the 27th most. 

Your team and roster is dreadful.  

• Like 2