First Round Scenarios

Brit Pack

5 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

The lack of pro days etc will impact more mid to later round prospects. There will be certainly a lot more variance there especially guys coming off injuries. My feeling is that the first round will pan out like most years, a few surprises but typically the names you expect will go where you expect them to, but who knows...

Sure the top 15 or will probably pan out that way but I'd be shocked from there on.  Wouldn't be surprised there is a bunch of surprises nobody's expecting mid 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I'm hoping for a trade down, because I think more often than not it's the best move. Would also love to get a future first if possible. Our trade with the Saints for their first last year got us Savage (and we were still able to get Jaire in that 2018 draft).

This year San Fran picks right behind us at 31 and then doesn't pick again until the 5th round.  They will be desperate for a trade back.  If Jordan Love is there, teams will know that San Fran will be dealing so maybe the Packers pick becomes a target for QB needy teams to beat the competition?

3 hours ago, British said:

I'm hoping for a trade down, because I think more often than not it's the best move. Would also love to get a future first if possible. Our trade with the Saints for their first last year got us Savage (and we were still able to get Jaire in that 2018 draft).

This year San Fran picks right behind us at 31 and then doesn't pick again until the 5th round.  They will be desperate for a trade back.  If Jordan Love is there, teams will know that San Fran will be dealing so maybe the Packers pick becomes a target for QB needy teams to beat the competition?

I was just looking at the 2011 draft, where New Orleans traded #56 and a 2012 1st to New England for #28.

If Gute's board is depleted by #30 this year, I could support a similar trade back. You should be able to find good players in the late 2nd. 

16 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I was just looking at the 2011 draft, where New Orleans traded #56 and a 2012 1st to New England for #28. If Gute's board is depleted by #30 this year, I could support a similar trade back. You should be able to find good players in the late 2nd. 

Ouch. That's a lot of talent off the board.......

18 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I was just looking at the 2011 draft, where New Orleans traded #56 and a 2012 1st to New England for #28.

If Gute's board is depleted by #30 this year, I could support a similar trade back. You should be able to find good players in the late 2nd. 

Trading back looks like it could easily be an attractive proposition for the Packers (obviously depending on who is available). Unfortunately It is much tougher to find good reasons for another team to trade up. Of course If you really want to find scenarios for another team to trade up you can always find a way to justify another team doing that, but I don't think there will be much desire to trade up into #30, unless you lose out on equivalent value in the trade. 

In the early part of the draft where some of the best players are, you can understand a stronger desire to move up..........but at #30 ?  Never say never, but I doubt a trade back from #30 happens this year, even though I'm obviously hoping that if the board is pretty meh at #30, they can find a willing partner.

12 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Trading back looks like it could easily be an attractive proposition for the Packers (obviously depending on who is available). Unfortunately It is much tougher to find good reasons for another team to trade up. Of course If you really want to find scenarios for another team to trade up you can always find a way to justify another team doing that, but I don't think there will be much desire to trade up into #30, unless you lose out on equivalent value in the trade. 

In the early part of the draft where some of the best players are, you can understand a stronger desire to move up..........but at #30 ?  Never say never, but I doubt a trade back from #30 happens this year, even though I'm obviously hoping that if the board is pretty meh at #30, they can find a willing partner.

It's the prime spot for teams to trade up and take QBs and get the 5th year of a rookie deal.  Ravens did it with Lamar Jackson, Vikings did it with Teddy Bridgewater.  Arguably also a good spot to take running backs to get an extra year before you let someone else pay their second contract.

Jordan Love and a couple of the top running backs could easily go late first. 

1 minute ago, British said:

It's the prime spot for teams to trade up and take QBs and get the 5th year of a rookie deal.  Ravens did it with Lamar Jackson, Vikings did it with Teddy Bridgewater.  Arguably also a good spot to take running backs to get an extra year before you let someone else pay their second contract.

Jordan Love and a couple of the top running backs could easily go late first. 

You make my point that if you want to find a reason for another team to trade up, you can. The late 1st round QB with the 5th year option is one of those. I really don't expect it, but who the heck really knows. Another team may really have the hots for a specific guy, not even a QB, at #30. While I don't think a trade down from 30 will happen, I wouldn't mind being proved wrong here. We will know by next Friday if it has happened.................and this week is going to pass ssoooo sslllooowwwly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, British said:

The draft will be the highlight of quarantine.  So glad the league went ahead with it.  The GM's can go swivel.  It's a level playing field for everyone. 

I am actually surprised that the NFL did not take advantage of the opportunity to extend the draft out a few more days.  

keep round 1 on Thursday, do round 2 only on Friday, round 3 and 4 on Saturday, then rounds 5-7 on Sunday

There is a void of things on TV from a sporting perspective and if they wanted, they could have done 1 round per night if they wanted.  It would have allowed teams to have more time on the clock.  Could have done Round 1 Saturday, starting later in the afternoon ...something like 3-10.   Give each team like 15 or 20 minutes.

9 hours ago, Lodestar said:

It's also going to take a team willing to give up.  How many teams are willing to give up their FRP next year?  Especially given the fact that Trevor Lawrence will be available in a most likely scenario.

12 hours ago, British said:

If a team feels they're getting a fair offer for the pick, a deal could be had.  IF they don't feel they're getting fair value, they'll move onto San Francisco.  In 2011, the rumor was that the Packers wanted a FRP from Cincinnati to move from 32 to 35.  Obviously, the Packers overplayed their hand on that one.

8 hours ago, squire12 said:

I am actually surprised that the NFL did not take advantage of the opportunity to extend the draft out a few more days.  

keep round 1 on Thursday, do round 2 only on Friday, round 3 and 4 on Saturday, then rounds 5-7 on Sunday

There is a void of things on TV from a sporting perspective and if they wanted, they could have done 1 round per night if they wanted.  It would have allowed teams to have more time on the clock.  Could have done Round 1 Saturday, starting later in the afternoon ...something like 3-10.   Give each team like 15 or 20 minutes.

Fans are so hungry for content, I wouldn’t be surprised if Day 3 ratings smash previous years ratings.  Ppl will be watching down to Mr. Irrelevant.  

7 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

A bit off the topic, but is the 5th year option for 1st round picks still part of the new CBA?

yes, but with some changes in contracts and payouts
there's a lot of verbiage here, scroll down to the section marked Rookie Contracts

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001106817/article/2020-nfl-free-agency-glossary-all-the-terms-you-need-to-know

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Fans are so hungry for content, I wouldn’t be surprised if Day 3 ratings smash previous years ratings.  Ppl will be watching down to Mr. Irrelevant.  

I feel like people always say that, but Day 3 of the NFL draft is mind-numbingly boring. 

• Like 1