Aaron Judge for MVP? tbh?

mission27

Aaron Judge for MVP tbh?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Aaron Judge for MVP tbh?

• Yes
    • No

Let's go over his case:

- While Jose Altuve is the definition of a flea, Judge is the prototypical CS and may be ushering in a new era of CS

- Judge is only 0.2 WAR behind Altuve for the MLB lead and leads the league in HR, walks, and runs scored 

- Without Judge's 7 WAR the Yankees are not a playoff team; without Altuve's 7 WAR the Astros are still 10 games up in the AL West

- Judge is bigger than Jose Altuve 

- Mike Trout was good this year, but missed more than a month, so screw him

I hadn't looked at the numbers in a couple weeks and expected to make the argument for Altuve when I started this post. I can't. Judge walks enough to justify the K% (he's 18th of 80 AL qualifiers in BB/K) and leads the league in some major, major categories: home runs, OBP, SLG, BB%, and wRC+. He leads the league in OPS by 0.052; the last player to lead the AL in OPS by that margin was Miguel Cabrera (MVP) in 2013.

However, it would be unusual for a player with Judge's K-rate to win MVP. The only player since 2000 to win an MVP award and finish in the top 5 of his league in K% was Ryan Howard in 2006. Albert Pujols should have won that year, imo.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/awards/awards_2006.shtml#NLmvp

As corny and overplayed as #AllRise is, Judge should be the AL MVP this year all things considered.

I didnt realize that Judge had closed the gap after that horrendous month or two.

Looking at the numbers, I cant see where I would take Altuve. Judge leads in all major hitting categories besides average and strike outs, both are about even in the field, and Altuve is better on the base paths, but I dont see that as enough to give him the edge.

Id give Judge the award.

1 hour ago, playmaker8267 said:

However, it would be unusual for a player with Judge's K-rate to win MVP. The only player since 2000 to win an MVP award and finish in the top 5 of his league in K% was Ryan Howard in 2006. Albert Pujols should have won that year, imo.

Its unusual for the past 15 years, but not necessarily historically unusual.  Guys like Mike Schmidt and Reggie Jackson won a bunch of MVP awards in the 70s and 80s leading the league in strikeouts and  Slammin Sammy did it in '98 (although tbh, McGwire should've been the MVP that year).

2 hours ago, devils1854 said:

I didnt realize that Judge had closed the gap after that horrendous month or two.

Looking at the numbers, I cant see where I would take Altuve. Judge leads in all major hitting categories besides average and strike outs, both are about even in the field, and Altuve is better on the base paths, but I dont see that as enough to give him the edge.

Id give Judge the award.

You have to look at margins here. Judge has a wRC+ of 164 to Altuve's 160. Very very close. 

Altuve obliterates him on the base paths. It's not even close. There's a reason why he is marginally (unless you're looking at rWAR where he's a full win ahead) ahead in WAR, despite having the marginally worse slash line. 

The only knock I'd really have against him is the strike outs, other than that there's no reason it shouldn't be him. He does walk a lot as well though.

He's reached base 10 more times and netted 37 more total bases than Altuve in 51 fewer at bats. Altuve has a higher average but a lower OBP. 

The AVG is a rather moot point.

Archived